PDA

View Full Version : World-wide LightWave Upgrade Scheme?

faulknermano
12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
do the upgrade schemes as presented in newtek's site apply to all resellers around the world? though i know there are price differences, and some are charged more or less than others, do upgrade / discounted prices apply as a whole to newtek products, regardless of reseller?

i ask because i inquired (again) recently about upgrading from LW8 and the guy (JTJ reseller) told me "LW9 is a totally new software" (some of you may scoff at that ;) ) and told me i am not eligible for an upgrade. of course, if you think about it, all point upgrades are free, and if i'm not eligible for an discounted upgrade from 8 to 9, then there is no such thing as an 'upgrade scheme' to speak of.

i'd accept this reseller's words only if this is how NewTek worked with resellers, that they control their upgrade parameters and prices. but if not, then i suppose newtek may have something to say with the authorised reseller.

Magnetix
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
That can't be right! Just looked at NT site, their price for upgrade is $395.00 U.S with pdf manual and speed edit. I bought 9.0 from Core Microsystems (12/18/2006) at $595.00 U.S(no lie), and as of 9.3.1 all has been free up-grades and is really turning out to be a great app.

faulknermano
12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
well i surely dont think it's right. i wonder if anyone from NT could verify this.

riki
12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I wish Newtek would let people buy from Newtek, regardless of where you live, or buy from US distributors like Kurv etc.

Being forced to buy through local resellers means they can charge outrageous fees for shipping and handling. I was quoted $200 from the Australian reseller for the nine upgrade and that was just shipping fees for the discs without the manuals. That was $100 to send it to them in Australia and then another $100 to forward it onto me in Japan.

prospector
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
For that price I would swim them over :D :D

Andrew March
12-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Well Lightwave is selling for 470 in the UK, that is a whacked out $940US!, that's without shipping.

cagey5
12-19-2007, 01:56 AM
And LW is selling for $895 - $995 dollars in the US depending on the version of the supplied manual, which seems about right for me. Oh and the price is 425 including 'shipping'.

BeeVee
12-19-2007, 02:27 AM
There is always an upgrade path from whatever version of LightWave and it's always the same price regardless of how many versions back you have now (so an upgrade LightWave 5.6 - 9 costs the same as an upgrade 8 - 9).

B

faulknermano
12-19-2007, 03:11 AM
to me, it's not so much of the price as it is the 'discount', as it were, or 'upgrade path' as ben has termed it. obviously, if i'm paying near $900 for an 'upgrade price' instead of the full price then that's a problem - if there is package to choose from...

to ben: to be clear, are you saying it is a requirement for authorised resellers to such have an upgrade path? or is it still, in the end, the retailer's prerogative to adopt NT's 'recommendation'?

in addition, i've emailed NT customer service to make sure.

BeeVee
12-19-2007, 06:23 AM
All resellers should indeed offer the upgrade.

B

faulknermano
12-19-2007, 07:30 AM
ben, many thanks for the clarification. :)

Sil3
12-19-2007, 10:38 AM
i'd accept this reseller's words only if this is how NewTek worked with resellers, that they control their upgrade parameters and prices. but if not, then i suppose newtek may have something to say with the authorised reseller.

This is old news... European LW resselers (NOT LW EUROPE) were always a bit like that, almost non existant, completly un-educated on what LW really was, and at least in my country never found one that could even configure LW to have it presented at Shows... like having a plain new install of LW and none of the plugs installed... nice Demonstration for sure and nice way to be a resseler of LW or Coffe Beans or Tennis Shoes by that matter...

In theory a resseler should have a more active participation on what he sells, truth is majority of them (my country) dont give a F**** as long as they sell something... now why do those exist then? have no clue...