PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to Mac, it can't see my LW9.0 dongle though...

focus3d
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I recently have moved from PC to Mac, and have just installed my original LW9.0 disk, this all went fine. I have installed all the dongle drivers, and it still can't see the dongle. Works fine on PC, but not on Mac.

Am I doing something wrong here? It's a brand new 24" iMac btw.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

focus3d
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Ah, I see, seems there is an issue with Red Dongles, I see this from an archive thread...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-55207.html

Anyone know if this was ever fixed?

Chilton
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi focus3D,

The red dongles should work fine. The problem in that thread turned out to be a batch of 'blank' dongles. These issues have been fixed in their entirety, as far as I know.

Does it give you an error when you run LightWave? If so, what does it say?

Thanks,
-Chilton

focus3d
12-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi focus3D,

The red dongles should work fine. The problem in that thread turned out to be a batch of 'blank' dongles. These issues have been fixed in their entirety, as far as I know.

Does it give you an error when you run LightWave? If so, what does it say?

Thanks,
-Chilton

No no error at all, it just doesn't show up when I run my registration utility. It says 'Can't find dongle', then when I scan for it, nothing happens.

When I run layout or modeller it just goes into discovery mode.

Just rang support and they want me to try running XP in bootcamp to see if that works. Bit of a pain, but I'll give it a go.

focus3d
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Update, I ran it in parallels on the mac and it works fine.

So my hardware can defo see it.

Steamthrower
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I have a red dongle and it worked without a hitch (I hate saying how everything works so perfect on my Mac, makes me feel like I'm some fanboy or something) but have you tried repairing disk permissions and rebooting?

Chilton
12-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Focus,

Just curious: do you have an Avid app installed?

-Chilton

focus3d
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Focus,

Just curious: do you have an Avid app installed?

-Chilton

No, practically a clean installed of Leopard and no other dongles plugged in.

just the mac mouse, and the LW dongle.

Chilton
12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
LW dongle in the keyboard, or in the body of the Mac?

-Chilton

focus3d
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
LW dongle in the keyboard, or in the body of the Mac?

-Chilton

In the body, my mouse is in my keyboard.

Have tried both though.

Chilton
12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Oh wait, you said 9.0. Have you tried 9.3 CFM or the 9.3 UB version yet?

-Chilton

focus3d
12-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Oh wait, you said 9.0. Have you tried 9.3 CFM or the 9.3 UB version yet?

-Chilton

Yes have got 9.3 UB installed.

Chilton
12-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Does the UB version see the dongle?

-Chilton

focus3d
12-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Does the UB version see the dongle?

-Chilton

No I am afraid not.

Well I phoned LW support and are now sending it away for a replacement.

As much as I'd love to find out why this is happening, I just don't have the time! Thanks for the suggestions though Chilton.

archijam
12-21-2007, 04:55 AM
For me it was a driver issue, installed the latest driver (from safenet) and it was fine. Have had no problems with Parallels or Bootcamp since then.

In Parallels, you need to make sure in the Devices/USB menu that your key is there, and has a tick next to it (that your mac 'allows' it to be seen by XP).

j.

focus3d
12-27-2007, 09:14 AM
For me it was a driver issue, installed the latest driver (from safenet) and it was fine. Have had no problems with Parallels or Bootcamp since then.

In Parallels, you need to make sure in the Devices/USB menu that your key is there, and has a tick next to it (that your mac 'allows' it to be seen by XP).

j.

Yeah but I am not trying to run it from parallels, I want to run it from OSX, also XP sees the dongle fine in Parallels. It's certainly an OSX issue.

focus3d
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I got a brand new dongle through the door today.

Reinstalled LW on my iMac, popped the dongle into the main usb port and still it won't be recognized by the software. :thumbsdow

What on earth could this be? I have reinstalled my OS, even tried it on parallels again, and windows can see it fine on my mac.

I wish I knew what this was.

RonGC
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Where did you put the license.key ?
Ron

focus3d
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Where did you put the license.key ?
Ron

Sorry not sure what you mean. When I put the dongle into the back of the mac, after installing Lightwave, I run the product registration program and at Step 1: Obtain Dongle Number, it says Dongle Not Found, Trial Mode. If I put in the license key anyway, it tells me the license key and dongle number don't match (as it should in trial mode).

I have tried 2 dongles, 2 different install disks, and also all USB slots.

I know the dongle and software works okay as I can run it on my PC laptop no problem, even from Parallels on my iMac.

Has there never been another example like this running Leopard?

RonGC
01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Not sure about this, Chilton is the man to talk to but are you trying to use the Mac license key or the PC one you use in Parallels.

It could be you need a different key version for PC or Mac? Since i am just on Mac nowadays i am not sure what, if anything has changed.

Maybe click on Chilton's name in his post and PM him.

Ron

focus3d
01-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Not sure about this, Chilton is the man to talk to but are you trying to use the Mac license key or the PC one you use in Parallels.

It could be you need a different key version for PC or Mac? Since i am just on Mac nowadays i am not sure what, if anything has changed.

Maybe click on Chilton's name in his post and PM him.

Ron

The key is actually irrelevant, as you don't enter it until the machine can see the dongle anyway. The mac won't see the dongle. Actually more specifically OSX won't see it, as Parallels will.

Thanks for your help, I will try and contact Chilton when i get a moment. :thumbsup:

sublimationman
01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Just a thought, load up system profiler (utilities drawer) and see if you see the dongle on the USB bus. If you do then it's probably a software issue if it does not show up there then it is either a hardware issue or an OS issue.

focus3d
01-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Just a thought, load up system profiler (utilities drawer) and see if you see the dongle on the USB bus. If you do then it's probably a software issue if it does not show up there then it is either a hardware issue or an OS issue.

Just tried this, it can defo see it on the USB. :thumbsup:

So I guess it's a Leopard or Lightwave issue then huh?

RonGC
01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Got me stumped, i am on Leopard and have no troubles, but i am also on a purple dongle not red.

Do you have an apple dealer nearby, run it in and have them check out your system/hardware. I know there were some problems with the early iMac 24" computers and the later releases are fixed.

Ron

focus3d
01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Got me stumped, i am on Leopard and have no troubles, but i am also on a purple dongle not red.

Do you have an apple dealer nearby, run it in and have them check out your system/hardware. I know there were some problems with the early iMac 24" computers and the later releases are fixed.

Ron

Do you have any more specific info on what was wrong with these machines? I bought it from the mac store like 2 weeks before Christmas.

RonGC
01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Below is a quote from one user on Apple discussion forums, a great place to get info on all things Apple by the way.

"Not just with the USB ports, but also the firewire port. They were extremely slow and had problems detecting devices.

Resetting the NVRAM resolved the issue for me:
1. Disconnect all peripherals except mouse and keyboard
2. Restart the computer and hold "Option-Command-P-R"
3. Hold the keys for two start up chimes.
4. You should be good to go."

This may or may not help you in your situation.

There are a lot of issues with the USB ports on the iMacs, something to do with the substandard quality of parts from suppliers. Even big buyers like Apple get stung by hardware suppliers once in a while.

Ron

focus3d
01-20-2008, 12:32 PM
God damn, I wish Newtek could just release some dongleless software, I own LW9.0 obviously but it's looking like a crack will work quicker and cause less hassle. :s

Sarford
01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Do usb thumb drives work in the USB ports?
Did u download and install the latest drivers for the dongle?

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

Use the 'other hardware keys' link.

Don't be too harsh too NewTek couse it might not be their fault.
I have a Eizo monitor which I can't calibrate anymore since going to Leopard, and a $2000,- dollar printer (Canon IPF 5000) which won't print anymore.
Both issues still aren't resolved by those companies, with Canon being the worst, prommising a driver update 'propably somewhere in this quarter', that is half a year after the release of the OS.