PDA

View Full Version : am I missing how to do this ? ? ?

kspoor
12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Been using SeedEDIT - which I really like a lot now! and have not seen a way to do this - thought I was just missing something (BTW I also purchased the complete training DVD and did not see this explained by Faraz either)

I used Auto Chop to get all my clips onto the harddrive - now on a single clip I might have 2 or 3 areas I want to use. Is there a way to "multi punch" (punch may not be the correct word here) to define the different areas I want to then bring into the timeline to then quickly move where I need 'em?

The only way I have figured out is this;

bring clip into timeline - select first IN / OUT - re-bring same clip into timeline, find my last section used go forward then set next IN /OUT... repeat, repeat. Not really a problem just having to duplicate the same step over and over to re-find where I was at (seems like this program should/could offer a quicker way to accomplish this)

Isn't there an easier or faster way to do this? Like being able to define multiple "cuts" that I want inserted into the timeline from the same clip on the harddrive.

- and as usual I have probably made this more difficult than it needed to be...

thanks for any feedback - K

SBowie
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
For a single clip on the timeline, scrub to a point where you want to cut it and hit the "c" key .. continue chopping the clip up in this manner, then trim ends or delete the chunks you don't want. (This is a non-destructive process - you can extend an in or out point created in this manner if you need to.)

kspoor
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
"c" - thank you,

knew I was working toooo hard for this program - great software!!!

Scott Bates
12-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Elaborating to the next level from Steve's description...

1. Drop your raw clip on the timeline
2. Find your first IN Point on the clip, hit the "i" key for IN, everything before that will be cut out
3. Find the OUT point for that first desired segment, hit "c" to cut at that point
4. Find the IN point for your second desired segment, hit "i" and that will become the In point for Segment 2 and will have cut out everything between the Out point of segment 1 (where you made the cut) and the new In for segment 2
5. Keep repeating steps 3 and 4 for any additional segments you want out of that original clip, until ...
6. ... you get the to Out point for the last segment from the clip, hit the "o" key to define that last segment's Out point and it will remove everything from there to the end of the original clip.
7. Rinse and Repeat for the other clips in your project.

Other than the scrubbing required to find your In and Out points, it's much faster to do than to describe here.

CreatvGnius
12-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Elaborating to the next level from Steve's description...

...Keep repeating steps 3 and 4 for any additional segments you want out of that original clip, until ...
6. ... you get the to Out point for the last segment from the clip, hit the "o" key to define that last segment's Out point and it will remove everything from there to the end of the original clip.
7. Rinse and Repeat for the other clips in your project.

Other than the scrubbing required to find your In and Out points, it's much faster to do than to describe here.

Adding still, to the excellent responses you've received from both Steve and Scott, one other suggestion:

In the event you desire to "bring in" a second instance of a clip already in the timeline -- you don't have to go back to the Media Bin looking for it, actually.
Instead, you'd just do this:

QUICKLY DUPLICATING A TIMELINE CLIP SEGMENT
1. select the clip in your timeline, which you'd like to have another instance of
2. hold down the CTRL key
3. left-click with the mouse and drag another instance off the first
4. (option: if you like, hit the G key to "set its greatest length")

or...
if you'd like to keep the length of your duplicated clip unchanged, but would like to slip'n'slide through the clip to utilize a different segment of that clip (again, without upsetting the length it was when you created the new instance), try this:

SLIP AND SLIDE
1. select the duplicated clip
2. hold down the ALT and SHIFT keys simultaneously
3. hover over the selected clip with your mouse, and note that an S/S symbol appears with a vertical hash mark
4. left-click then drag the mouse left and right to select a new segment of audio and/or video

(You might try this in Storyboard Mode -- that way you'll easily be able to see the scene change as you slip...)
-PeterG

billmi
12-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Several ways to skin the same cat, I scrub along the timeline and cut with c, and then delete the unused sections, and drag the ones I want to keep into a filebin. All in all it's way faster than the middle adged school method of shuttling tape back and forth to build a batch capture list (as opposed to old-school of logging the tape and linear editing.) Now with batch re-capture, you can even come back to a project with the same clips later, without ever having to manually build a batch capture list.