PDA

View Full Version : Which Mouse?

jefeb
12-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey All,
I'm putting together a new computer (PC) and was wondering what mouse or roller ball control everyone likes the best for use with Lightwave? I was looking at spaceball 5000 but they say it is incompatable. Any reccommendations?
Thanks
Jeff

stib
12-18-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm lovin my Logitech MX revolution, and I've been through lotsa mouses, er mice. BTW If you get a logitech mouse make sure you get the Uber Options (http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/uberOptions/) driver hacks, they improve Logitech's rather pitiful drivers a lot.

Steamthrower
12-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I just use a plain old Logitech optical mouse. Works for me. Don't have any complaints.

DiedonD
12-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Before you get a mouse, have you considered a tablet???

Exception
12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Best mouse is a Wacom Intuos 6x8 :)

4dartist
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM
I use the mouse that comes with macs. ;) Works perfect for me. I just never could get used to tablets while working in 3d. ;(

Andyjaggy
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Ah yes the tablet. Perhaps you guys know something I don't but I have never been successful using a tablet a in Modeler. The two things that always make me give up are in the perspective viewport you can't use the viewport control button on the viewport because you run out of room since it is at the edge of the tablet.

So fine use the alt key and right mouse button right. I might be able to get used to that. Maybe. I wish you could program it to rotate the same as the viewport button though. The second problem though is as far as I can tell there is no option for dragging the perspective viewport without using the viewport controls. You can rotate with alt. You can zoom with alt+ctrl, but you can't seem to drag?

If anyone has an elegent solution I would love to hear it. I guess I could just move the perspective view to the bottom right and see how that works.

Exception
12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Alt-shift is pan.
There's no issue using the tablet to navigate... you of course do need to set the interface to Tablet mode.

How can you use the lasso select effectively with a mouse? 's too wobly I say for detailed work.
And retouching in PS without a tablet? ewww. Gross.

Andyjaggy
12-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Alt+Shift. Guess I didn't try that combo. I take it there is no way to change the way it rotates when using alt? I suppose I could get used to it.

iconoclasty
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
The logitech mx1000 was the greatest mouse ever created. Great accuracy, ergonomic, plenty of buttons! Unfortunately I think they discontinued it for the pathetic MX revolution.

colkai
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I've always used a Microsoft intellipoint Optical. Very comfy for me being a South-Paw and I have the two side buttons as copy/paste.

Like 'em so much, I've never switched.

IMI
12-18-2007, 03:11 PM
The logitech mx1000 was the greatest mouse ever created. Great accuracy, ergonomic, plenty of buttons! Unfortunately I think they discontinued it for the pathetic MX revolution.

I went through three of those in the course of a year and a half. The LMB gave out in each case. I figured it was a design problem, poor engineering. I'm not that hard on my meeses. ;)
I've been using an MX Revolution for a year now with no problems. Although I have to use a microsoft optical mouse when the MX is recharging, and also for any apps which require a middle mouse button. The main scroll wheel just won't do anything but scroll.
I wouldn't call the MX Revolution pathetic, but I did like the MX 1000 better. I won't buy another one when this one gives out.

Steamthrower
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I absolutely hate wireless moose. I've yet to find one that doesn't require to be charged every other day.

To each his own.

IMI
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I absolutely hate wireless moose. I've yet to find one that doesn't require to be charged every other day.

To each his own.

Yeah, but I can take my wireless Logitech all the way across the room and use it from 12 feet away. I can't see what's on my screens to save my life, but at least I can do it. :D

Steamthrower
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Moot point. I can unplug my corded Logitech and wield it as a weapon in dark alleys at high radial velocities. Face it, the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

IMI
12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah, but the revolution has a "Kill" setting switch on it for the Laser. While you're swinging your mouse around by the cord, I'm frying eyeballs out and melting bad guy's weapons in their hands...

Well, OK, I made that up. But I still like cordless. :D

stib
12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
IMI - get the Uber Options (http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/uberOptions/) mod for the revolution. It lets you map the scroll wheel button to middle click, or anything else for that matter. You can also map the little square button under the scroll wheel to middle click, instead of the useless search function that comes with the logitech driver. I was swearing when I found out I couldn't middle click when I first got mine, then someone gave me the Uber Options tip and now I'm.. er.. doing the opposite of swearing.

Logitech make great hardware but their driver software is woeful. The driver is larger than several European countries to download and has all these absurd limitations on what you can do with each button. Uber Options lets you do what you want with all of the buttons. There is also someone who has written their own driver, that lets you combine clicks etc., so that you've got even more options, but it was still a bit flaky when I tried it a while back. Look on the logitech user's forums for the link.

IMI
12-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks stib, I'll check that out. :)

Limbus
12-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Microsoft SideWinder Mouse all the way!

Cheers, Florian

MikeMD
12-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Razer copperheads or diamondbacks.

RollerJesus
12-19-2007, 08:35 AM
I use the Razer too. But I prefer the Wacom tablet.

Lewis
12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
One and Only Logitech MX 500/510/518 series which have enough buttons to program my modeler workflow (all later/newer series have less buttons :( so i don't like them ). I'ts faster than my Wacom tablet 'coz i have quick acess to my shortcuts and left hand is on CTRL+Alt+Shift for Pan/Zoom/Rotate and shortcuts so modeling is like breeze with that setup :). Here is photo of my setup.

Andyjaggy
12-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Okay I'm buying a new mouse :D

loki74
12-21-2007, 01:24 AM
One and Only Logitech MX 500/510/518 series which have enough buttons to program my modeler workflow (all later/newer series have less buttons :( so i don't like them ). I'ts faster than my Wacom tablet 'coz i have quick acess to my shortcuts and left hand is on CTRL+Alt+Shift for Pan/Zoom/Rotate and shortcuts so modeling is like breeze with that setup :). Here is photo of my setup.

Agreed! MX500 rocks. They last too. I just realized that I've been using the same MX500 for... idk, 3+ years? No glitches or anything, aside from the expectable physical wear and tear that any device would undergo... Although I don't assign the buttons to Modeler functions, but rather to my expose functions in OSX. Insanely useful!

I also recommend getting a wacom. Cintiq preferably. I'm currently using a wide-format (6x9 iirc) Intuous, and it's amazing. Every digital artist should have a tablet. I think someone here on the NT boards actually wrote an article about tablets and their benefits with regard to RSI... interesting stuff. Anyway, even if you do get a new mouse, the tablet would definitely be a worthwhile investment.

bjornkn
12-21-2007, 01:39 AM
3+ years?
I've been using my Logitech Marble FX for more than 10 years, I believe, and it works just as good as when new. I'm actually considering getting a new one, as the plastic housing may wear out soon? But it looks like I'm not the only one who love them - they often sell on eBay for close to US$100, with lots of bids :(

Lewis
12-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I have MX500 5+ years old and 2 MX 510 2+ years old and another MX 518 at work :). I bought last Mx 510 i could find in my city 'coz 518 is same mouse with different drivers and more expensive ;) ;). My hands aren't sweating so there is no physical wear present either :).

cresshead
12-21-2007, 02:51 AM
jerry is the best mouse, much better than mickey.

jefeb
12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the input. I have been using a microsoft trackball explorer for 4-5 years. I learned Lightwave on it. My hand does cramp up after long hours of work so I wanted something else. The trackball works great for moving the cursor around but usung the lasso is a bit rough.
Does anyone use a "game controller" or other progamable key pad like the X-key pro? I wonder if they would be helpful for all those keyboard shortcuts that I have to stop and look for. Anything to speed up the workflow and prevent carpal tunnel.

Verlon
12-22-2007, 08:13 AM
mx revolution...with a spacepilot :)

Cageman
12-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse... I have two of them at home and one at work. Just nice... thats all... nice! :)

Cageman
12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Here is photo of my setup.

Ok..now we are talking serios stuff... how did you program your mousebuttons? Would love to know... and it's Christmas... ;)

jefeb
12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
mx revolution...with a spacepilot :)
I looked at the spaceball 5000 and support (drivers?)does not include lightwave, how does the space pilot work and how was it programmed?

DiedonD
12-25-2007, 01:55 AM
jerry is the best mouse, much better than mickey.

Yeah I use to love Jerry alot more. But now I keep thinking. WHy the heck is TOm always falling for the same chase game. And him beeing biger and apparently stronger at first site, the issue whose tougher isnt clear, as Jerry would get mad soemtime and TOm would run and all that. I get even annoyed by this all now lol.

Verlon
12-25-2007, 09:26 AM
there is a plugin...it only works in layout, not modeler, but it is useful even there. You can get the plugin for free from www.flay.com

jefeb
12-26-2007, 07:26 AM
there is a plugin...it only works in layout, not modeler, but it is useful even there. You can get the plugin for free from www.flay.com
So what is it called. I looked through the plug ins but without a name it was futile!

Verlon
12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
spaceball_x86

Try looking here :)

http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Many, many thanks to those who suggested the Uber thingy. It's brilliant. Now I have my many mouse buttons, previously unused, set to do cool stuff in LW: drop tool, change to points/polys mode, drop selection, etc. Wow. I love it.

jefeb
12-26-2007, 02:27 PM
spaceball_x86

Try looking here :)

http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html
THANK YOU!!!!
This is what I was looking for. I have used a rollerball for so long I really wanted a spaceball!
Once again I started a 3+ page thread! You all are great!

Cageman
12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Many, many thanks to those who suggested the Uber thingy. It's brilliant. Now I have my many mouse buttons, previously unused, set to do cool stuff in LW: drop tool, change to points/polys mode, drop selection, etc. Wow. I love it.

Cool!

But, how do you configure the different buttons on the mouse to do modeler operations?

EDIT: Doh... found an earlier post in this thread having the link... :)

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 04:44 PM
What I did is ran the Uber thingy, and then when I ran Setpoint for the Logitech mouse it brings up a screen where you select the mouse button you want to program, and then a Select Task list comes up. To assign a keystroke in Modeler to a mouse button click I selected "Keys: Keystroke Assignment", and it opens a field where you enter the keystroke you want to assign. Just hit the key you want to assign on the keyboard and it automatically fills in the name of the keystroke. And VOILA !!! Next time you go into LW the keystroke is assigned to the mouse button. Oh, and I think I also selected "modeler.exe" in the "Select Program" field in Setpoint, though I'm not sure I had to do that.

Cageman
12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks a bunch for the detailed explanation. :)

walfridson
12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm so happy I checked this thread :) thanks for the tip

Cageman
12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
The only problem I have right now is that I can't tell the software when my defined keystrokes should be used. I'm happy with the default settings in Windows, for Internet surfing and so on; I only want the changes to happen when I switch over to Modeler or Layout. I've tried to find anything that let me configure SetPoint to do this, but to no avail. :/

EDIT: Apparently I do not have a 'Select Program' field in SetPoint. I have 'Select mouse', 'Select Button' and 'Select Task' and I also get 'Specify Keystroke' when applying for such command.

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Maybe the Uber thing didn't take. Did you go thru the monkey motions listed on the Uber website to install it?

Cageman
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Hmm... I'm not sure I could have missed something. I'm on Vista x64 though, and the author of UberOptions states that it should work but he himself have not tested. Since I also have WinXP 32-bit on this machine I'll have to try it before any further conclusions can be made. :)

Once again, thanks for taking your time helping me out! :thumbsup:

Cageman
12-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Well... I really can't find any additional things to do in order to get this to work. Here is what I do:

1. Install SetPoint
2. Run SetPoint (just to have some settings done)
3. Apply the changes, quit the program (and making sure it's not running in the taskbar
4. Install uberInstall (latest version)
5. Open SetPoint... no change whatsoever...

Done the exact same thing in both WinXP 32 and WinVista x64... same result...

Cageman
12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok...

I had to download the latest beta in order to get it to work. Strange...

Hopper
12-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I've been using my Logitech Marble FX for more than 10 years, I believe, and it works just as good as when new.
Wow.. and I thought I was the only one left on the planet using one of those.
I swap to a pathetic 5 button Intellimouse for playing games, but I will never give up my Marble until it turns to dust.

walfridson
12-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Found a freebie. Maybe it can be usefull for some who don't have logitech.
X-mouse (http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm)

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmbc.png

The setpoint thing is not working great here... Using MX1000
Always had it connected with the PS/2-USB thing, cause I had problem installing it ones upon a time.
Anyway when it's connected just to USB the pointer stops responding to X or Y sometimes. Very annoying.
Tried everything on the support pages, nothing! Gaah... Back to PS/2 with no extra button support...

meathead
12-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Seems like such an obvious way to go, and I have never done that?!?!? I hate dropping tools and selections thru key strokes.

Friggin genious! Thanks.

So the Uber wiki will help me set it up like this?

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Here's my specialty mouse. It's got a metal casing instead of the cheap plastic so many mice have these days.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/7836107_775de8310b.jpg?v=0

RTSchramm
12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm using a logitech mx revolution with the setpoint 4.24 software and I can program any button to whatever keyboard key I want with one exception is the left, middle, and right mouse buttons, but I can't see a need to reprogram the mouse buttons.

I have a problem with previous versions of setpoint crashing when I excessed the configuration software due to some games over-writing the ,net framework DLLs,(which were used by the older setpoint software), but the latest version so far work perfect. I'm currently using WIndows Xp 64
pro.

So if anyone here does experience the setpoint crash like I have, just reinstall you video driver and reboot. Make sure you force the driver to overwrite ALL of the files.

Just my two cents,

Rich

Mark The Great
01-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I figure I'll just resurrect an old topic here.

I just got a Logitech MX 620. and I'm loving it. I'm setting the special buttons for er and Layout and I was wonder what functions y'all assign to your extra mouse buttons.

IMI
01-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, since it's been resurrected, I'll reply then...
My MX Revolution is now doing the same thing my MX 1000's have done in the past - the LMB is going out. It's worn out or something - frequently single clicks register as double clicks. I'm past the point of thinking it's me, and I think Logitech needs to parent some quality engineering along with their fancy feature development.
Surely it can't be me. I don't use my work boots on the buttons, and I'm not freakishly strong. ;)

Oh...functions - just the basic. I don't know about the MX 620, but the MX 1000 and the MX Revolution don't work any better with LW than any cheap 3 button mouse. Actually, it takes special 3rd party drivers to make the middle button/scroll wheel do anything at all in 3D apps beyond zoom.

Mark The Great
01-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I had that same problem with my old 3-button Logitech...

Actually, looking at the logitech driver, it seems like I could set the mouse to perform shortcut key combinations only in Layout and mo deler, while still retaining the normal functionality elsewhere. Are you saying that it won't be very easy to use once I do get it set up? I could see that.

IMI
01-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I had that same problem with my old 3-button Logitech...

Actually, looking at the logitech driver, it seems like I could set the mouse to perform shortcut key combinations only in Layout and mo deler, while still retaining the normal functionality elsewhere. Are you saying that it won't be very easy to use once I do get it set up? I could see that.

No, it's just a preference thing, and if you have the Logitech Set Point driver software, there's that alternate driver listed earlier in this thread you could try. I imagine anything can be gotten used to.
Myself, I don't even use my MX Revolution for LW or any other 3D programs anymore. I have a Microsoft optical mouse with just two buttons and a scroll wheel/3rd button I use for all that, and it's still going strong in spite of receiving even more use than the Revolution or the MX 1000's combined.
I do like the Logitechs for web use and similar things. I have all those extra buttons assigned to things like zooming, and page up/down, that sort of thing. Anything with alot of scrolling in it, the Logitech's are great for.