PDA

View Full Version : P4DC6+ Challenges/Red LED on board?

INOV8Pro
07-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey P4DC6+ motherboard users:

I've had my VT2 running for the past three or so months and for the most part it's working just fine. However, I believe I'm having some overheat issues. This hasn't happened yet while running the VT, though it has slowed down at times, but it has happened while running other programs like Vegas Video. One example was compressing a file to MPEG2 in Vegas Video and the temp on my digital doc started to increase fairly rapidly. A red led came on on the board near CPU1. The numbers next to it read (RS1245). I assume that this is a warning light. Any idea what it is warning against? Overheat? The program crashed once. The next time I took the cover off the chassis to let more air in and it made it through the process without crashing. My current room isn't the easiest to keep cool but the ambient temperature wasn't much more than 28 to 30 degrees Celsius. My chassis is an AMS CF-481 rackmount with three internal fans. I used the heat sinks and fans that came with the 2.4GHz processors. They seemed to have better fans and heatsinks than the heatsinks and fans that came with the supermicro P4DC6+ board.

What do recommend for better cooling. Does anyone use water blocks? I've thought of purchasing a portable aircondition and hooking it up to the front intake of my system to keep it cool. I want my sytem to be portable for switching gigs. Any ideas appreciated. It's hot out here in Las Vegas and I've got to keep cool. :)

Thanks,

Paul

vip3dran
07-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Paul,

I'm using the P4DCE+ (same as P4DC6 minus onboard SCSI).
Not at all sure what that red LED is all about.

I do notice (from the Supermicro monitor) that the system and CPU temps will get a bit hot when running an intensive app. A solution that I've been using is one of those clip-on 6inch fans in front of the computer case, to get the air circulating a little better than the case fans. This generally brings down the temps a few degrees.

INOV8Pro
07-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks Vip3dran:

I'll give that a try. It sounds affordable.:)

I still would like to know what the red LED is all about. Any takers? Let me know.

Paul