PDA

View Full Version : Lots of polys ...

ige
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm trying to make a Chevy Small Block engine to use in a future hot rod. But so far it has grown to 85000 polys and that makes it nearly impossible to handle. Moving it is like syrup .... I need some advices how to make it more "useful".

Silkrooster
12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Love your engine. Yep more detail, the more polys. Things you could do.
1) Remove any polys that you know will not be viewable from the camera such as the innerds. (do so on a copy though, you never know when you will need to render the inside of an engine.
2)Any curved surface, like a hose, try to use sub patches. for example the block of the engine rather than using rounder to generate a curved edge, sub patch the block. If you do it right you can create the sharp edges as well.
3)Divide the parts into layers, this will allow you to hide parts while working on it. This will require parenting though.
4)Make use of plug ins like quem 3 and tools like bandglue, merge poly, etc.
Good luck and have fun,
Silk

*Pete*
12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
85000 polys shouldnt be much of a burden to your system, if you do a few of the following things.

1# are you using CC subd's?... use normal subd's instead, or simply turn of subd's while modelling.
2# as mentioned earlier, divide your object into several layers and/or hide parts of the object that you are not needing at the moment.
3# use cpu/gpu friendly mode in the perspective viewport, ie..not textured wireframe.

really cool modell of the engine, id like to see a wireframe of it.

Andrew March
12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
85000 polys is nothing, seriously I've got models that are approaching the 2 million mark.

Might be time to upgrade the old computer methinks.

Surrealist.
12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm trying to make a Chevy Small Block engine to use in a future hot rod. But so far it has grown to 85000 polys and that makes it nearly impossible to handle. Moving it is like syrup .... I need some advices how to make it more "useful".

Yes, very nice engine.

If you are using subpataches turn down the subpatch level in modeler. If not consider it as silk said. In layout set the display subpatch level to 0. If you are using CCs convert any ngons to quads and use subpatch instead.

Also work in sections ( if you are not already)( so you are not having to display the whole thing in modeler as you work. Then when a section is done, add it in. I work this way so I can keep a higher subpatch level for preview on the parts I am working on.

Exception
12-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Check for excessive point selection sets or surfaces.
I'm talking about hundreds and such, generated (by error) upon object import from 3ds or obj, that might also slow things down.

Steamthrower
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
What are the specs of your computer, ige? I've worked with models with at least half a million polys with no problems.

Maybe you have your textures in your OpenGL port set at too high a resolution?

Andyjaggy
12-19-2007, 04:00 PM
85,000 is nothing man!! Unless they are all CC SubD's and you have the level set high. That will bring any system to a crawl.

ige
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I use subD level at 3. My PC specs are EPOX EP-5EPA+ mainboard, Intel pentium 4 530J 3,0 GHz 1Mb, graphic card Sapphire Radeon x300SE 128Mb DDR PCI-e, power Fortron Source FSP350-60THN-P,
RAM 3Gb

zapper1998
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
make a high res and a low res,
low res for faraway shots
high res for close ups,
I put different parts in different layers,
that way i can load it up then clear the layers i don't need..

I don't know, LW9 can handle a few Million polys pretty easy now...

RedBull
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
The videocard is a little slow, make sure you turn down or off all the OGL settings.. Make sure GLSL is not turned one!

Nice Engine!

Exception
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I use subD level at 3.

And CC level? you can put CC level at 2.
make sure you're using standard subD's and not CC's.

Surrealist.
12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I use subD level at 3.

Yeah, and especially with that CPU you have, set the subD to 1 when you are track balling it in perspective or any other work with the full model. Use 3 for the parts you are trying to perfect - in another layer - and then paste them in(after you set it back to 1). Set it to 3 only to preview the final result.

Alternatively you can just work as much as possible in polymode. That is even to cut and paste parts and so on. Do all of this in poly mode. Only use TAB to preview a results from time to time to check your overall progress. This is the way I work with large objects.

ige
12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Now I learned a lot of subpatching.Thanks, Surrealist! Now I've finished the engine (so far...). I add some FPrime renders. I find it not easy to set up a proper scene so I get a nice render. In this renders I use one area light with inverse distance^2 and a Image World (HDRI pic Beach Probe). Now I wonder: If I use Image World, shall I also then have a light (fx area)? or is there a better way to do it.

hard8
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
wow... that's a work of art.

85k is nothing for something with that kind of detail.
I'm finishing up a 305k model right now and it's pretty slow. I just made sure to break it out into layers and save out individual parts as objects so I could delete layers as needed and then bring them back when I finished.

It helps, but it's still slow.

Brilliant work.

zapper1998
12-28-2007, 04:28 AM
That Is Sweet, wow

ige
12-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks a lot. This makes me ready for my next project: The Ford 427 SOHC Drag Race engine (with blower) ...

hard8
01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
can you post some close up shots? I'm building a 1934 Indian Scout right now and I'm just about to tackle the engine. I'd like to get some idea of how you pulled off all the detail. Wireframe shade screen caps would be great.

ige
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Will these help you? You ask for wire screen captures. I tried, but there's so many polys that it all "drowned". Can you tell me how to get them right.