PDA

View Full Version : bad clip maps

jimiclaybrooks
12-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong place. So here's my issue. I've never seen this before. I've had plenty of problems with clipmaps too. But this one is just weird to me. Can anyone tell me what's up with this? I"ve checked all the settings, and everythings ok. As you can see, the trees render fine at a certain angle. Its when I drop the camera down to ground level that they go weird on me. BTW, the same is true for the sky box. Its black at frames 1-13, and then at 14 or 15,(I forgot which), its cool. Seems to have something to do with the camera being below 0 at world center maybe? If so, how would that affect the render?? BTW, I turned up the ray recursion limit as high as I could, which is 24, and it hasn't helped.

Giacomo99
12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
What exactly is the problem? I'm not seeing it.

jimiclaybrooks
12-17-2007, 07:44 PM
As I stated in the post, the sky in the middle image, as you can see, is black. There's supposed to be a background sky there, like you see in the far right image. Also, the clipmap trees in the middle image are blue and not transparent.

tyrot
12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
dear jimi

i cant see the problem very clear also but i think you may increase your MIPMAP value at least to 3.0 for clipmaps both in surface editor and in object panel's clipmap window..

Do not increase ray incrusion i dont think it is relevant with this case.

also you can recheck your Clipmaps's alpha channel in photoshop. make it one-two pixel narrower and re-render.

When you have deal with lots of trees you are probably screaming in anger because of two seperate panels (object panel-surface editor) for one simple Clipmapping feature...arent you...? we all are....

Best

jimiclaybrooks
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks Big T!!
Indeed, the ray recursion limit isn't a factor here, cause I tried it and it didn't work. The mipmap value I didn't think of, so I will try that. If all else fails, I'll just use real low poly geometry and do many passes till I get the job done. But I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllll llllllllllly don't want to do that if I can help it. thanks

sonofmickel
08-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Exactly the same problem. I thought I had it figured out but it is a willy nilly thing going on. No rhyme or reason to why it happens. Classic camera is all that seems to clear this up = huge render times. Please fix this Newtek geniuses.

Also, please put Clipmaps in the surface panel!