PDA

View Full Version : Will sata 4 Drives at 7200 rpm striped 0 Be fast enough?

Starlighter1969
12-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I have VT 5.0 that the SCZI Cheetah drives keep failing. Can I replace them with 4 SATA Drives at 7200 rpm striped 0 and a controller, will it be fast enough to layer 4 or 5 layers in Toaster Edit? Thanks, Michael :help:

PIZAZZ
12-21-2007, 08:18 AM
I have VT 5.0 that the SCZI Cheetah drives keep failing. Can I replace them with 4 SATA Drives at 7200 rpm striped 0 and a controller, will it be fast enough to layer 4 or 5 layers in Toaster Edit? Thanks, Michael :help:

I saw no one answered you yet.

Simple answer is yes. Complex answer is depends on how you connect the SATA drives to the computer. I have found the onboard SATA connectors to be adequate in most situations so try that first. If no dice roll then you will need to purchase a dedicated SATA Raid card. 3Ware, Highpointe, and even Supermicro make the ones we use.

kiffer
12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, RAID O is generally used with two drives. Four drives open up a whole new world of possibilities, provided you are willing to invest in a quality RAID controller as PIZAZZ mentioned earlier. Your best bet is to go with RAID 5 instead of RAID 0.

3Ware, LSI Logic and Adaptec all make damn fine 4 and 8 port SATA RAID cards that come in PCI-E and PCI-X flavours. You can also find other manufacturers cards just make sure the one you choose is hardware based RAID and not software (like Highpoint) AND supports RAID 5.

Quick comparison of basic RAID levels:

RAID 0 = data gets striped across drives. You gain the speed - but there is no redundancy, should one drive in the array fail you will loose all the data.

RAID 1 = data gets mirrored across the drives. You gain redundancy on the expense of speed and disk space. In simple terms you will loose half of the total storage space of the array to set it up, but should a drive fail you will not loose anything.

RAID 5 = speed and redundancy. Data gets striped across the whole array with parity. Lets say you've got 4 drives in RAID 5 you will gain not the speed of RAID 0 exactly, but close and all that at the penalty of losing storage space of a single drive. Should any of the 4 drives fail you will not loose any data, since the array can rebuild itself when you swap the failed drive to a new one. Building the array of more tha 4 drives will make everything even faster and that's where 8-port card comes in.

Using SCSI does give you the benefit of having sustained read and write times, but SATA RAID 5 gives you ample diskspace with speed, performance and security.

Hope this helps.

prospector
12-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Using 4 SATA drives here and getting 268MB/s
Found that getting better results (268MB/s) off the motherboard as to a add-on card(185MB/s). And best results using NVidia chipset compared to others.

KSTAR
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
I saw no one answered you yet.

Simple answer is yes. Complex answer is depends on how you connect the SATA drives to the computer. I have found the onboard SATA connectors to be adequate in most situations so try that first. If no dice roll then you will need to purchase a dedicated SATA Raid card. 3Ware, Highpointe, and even Supermicro make the ones we use.

Hey Jeff, I know you build and use some pretty high end systems, Im curious are you completely free of using SCSI based systems?