PDA

View Full Version : How would a high speed video camera work in VT4.6?

ken07
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I am thinking of buying a fastec sports high speed camera. It would record at 250 frames per second. Anyone know how that would work in VT4.6?
would I just put the file in and slow by by percentages to show slo motion in high frames????

mhenstell
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I would imagine you would just play it back at normal speed, 30 fps, and it appear to play back around 1/8th speed.

bbeanan
12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
From what I could see those cameras will give you literally thousands of digital photos not video.... so it would just be a simple image seq. load the first frame and SE should do the rest.

What does one of those cameras cost anyway I could not even find a MSRP??

bbeanan
12-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Also keep in mind the image size is not standard video either, not even Standard Def.

ken07
12-17-2007, 04:58 AM
I think the fastec sports cam is around 8800.00
I am talking to a rep today...can't wait until sony or someone comes up with a consumer camera for this.

rbartlett
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Some of the Sony AVCHD and HDV camcorders have 'smooth slow record' with up to 240fps (60Hz countries) and 200fps (50Hz countries) performance.
The resolution is below D1 (typically) and low light basically kills it's usefulness.

The HDR-CX7 (well actually a CX6EK, based on solid state memory stick and upto 15Mbps AVCHD) records approx 10 or 12 second bursts at this rate. You can download samples from this AVCHD camera (usually retargeted as HDV MPEG-2 transport streams). Have a google for CX6 clips for example.

I'm fairly sure that this feature is missed out on earlier Sony HDV camcorders and afaik all the CineAlta models. CineAlta models (specifically XDCAM EX XDCAM HD) go up to 60p but also up to 200Mbps MPEG-2 long-GOP. So you get full resolution but quite a lot less opportunity to slow the motion.

This is great for sports shots and those first moments at the Christmas tree or blowing out candles on a birthday cake. As long as you start the recording early enough and as long as the subject doesn't overrun the maximum duration of smooth-slow-record.

You'd imagine that this type of recording cannot remain at a premium for too much longer (now that consumer camcorders and low end prosumer camcorder are dabbling with some parts of the equation).