PDA

View Full Version : VT4 bug?

sadkkf
12-16-2007, 09:22 AM
When I drag a clip from my filebin to the VT timeline, the timeline doesn't display the first or last frames. I have to drag them into visibility.

This cost me a day's work fixing a project I already delivered to a customer who soon after gave me a slightly horked off phone call.

Anyone else run into this? Is it fixed it 5?

Also, is there a way to change the default "auto fade" in audio when I add a dissolve to the video? Right now, I have to add my transitions, click the audio in the timeline, click the Edit Properties button, click to expand Audio, click to expand Advanced, then uncheck both options for each audio clip. This is an enormous waste of time. I can't find anything in the options for this. Again, is there something I can do in 5 to change this default?

Thanks!

:kevin

ted
12-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Check your pref settings. By default, it's set for "offset" 1 second. Set it for none. This "might" be your problem.

sadkkf
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Ted--

That did it! Thanks!!

Any ideas about the audio fade?

SBowie
12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
This cost me a day's work fixing a project...
The reason the Prefs default to 1 second is to provide a minimum 'pad' on each end of clips added to the project, ensuring there are frames available for transitions (without intruding further into the already-trimmed clip.)

Eliminating the pad by any method will result in the first and last frame of the first and second clip being held 'frozen' throughout a transition used between clips - not normally something you want (but by no means a problem in all cases either!)

The Prefs setting lets you override or modify the default, but there are other ways to achieve the same thing. For example, select all clips (press Ctrl+a with no clips selected), and open the ToolShed (F9). Expand the Video group in the list at left, and choose Maximize Lengths click Perform.

This would reduce your 'day' to about 5 seconds work. :thumbsup:

(Can't help with the Audio xfade - Paul? John?)

sadkkf
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Steve. My problem is I needed a specific beginning and end frame so when I dragged the clip to my timeline, those frames weren't there. Also, the music in the accompanying track started late and ended early.

The whole thing just made for an ugly project of multiple clips. Knowing how to change it and why it's there, I can work with it better.

Thanks!

SBowie
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Understood. There are times for one approach, and times for the other. BTW, another way to extend clips (one at a time) to full length is to hit the "g" key.

sadkkf
12-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks again, Steve. I love the keyboard shortcuts!