PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 8800 GTS / Ultra comparison

Hopper
12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Has anyone actually "seen" the difference between these cards in actual practice? I know the Ultra is over twice the price of the GTS 512M, but is it really worth it? The specs for the GTS (in some regards) are better for some stats, but the overall memory bandwith difference between the two are quite staggering. Either way, I'll be using two, but I would really like to know where the Ultra would benefit the most.

Most reviews I've seen evolve around playing games, which is fine, but where do they stand as far as benefits in LW?

I'm more or less a hobbiest LW user, but I don't "upgrade" my systems. I try to buy better gear so that I don't have to until the system is almost useless to new apps. My current system is almost 6 years old and it's just now getting to the point where newer games and apps such as LW just don't perform.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

IMI
12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't have the 8800. I have an 8600 GTS with 512 MB GDDR3, and I can tell you that does great with LW. But then again, my 7950 GT and my 7600 GT also did great...
More video memory is probably a good thing if you have alot of textures on objects and are in texture display mode, but the sad fact is, LW's OpenGL itself only gets so good, and doesn't seem to take advantage of the better cards much.
The 8800 is a gaming card. That's not to say it can't be used well with OGL apps - it can, but unless you are planning on playing alot of games, I wouldn't get it just for LW.
They've already improved the OGL for Modeler somewhat, but Layout is still kind of lacking. Hopefully they'll do something about that soon.

JCG
12-16-2007, 02:00 AM
One of the reasons why the Ultra is so much more expensive is because it uses a larger process node and therefore uses a lot more silicon for the same number of transistors as a G92 and also it is more yield limited. Only the very top yield GTXs can qualify to be Ultras and they're not that easy to identify.

Since the G80 process node cannot be made much cheaper, it looks like they want to replace it quickly. According to Fudzilla, the entire 8800GTX line will be EOL'ed as early as January: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4502&Itemid=1

As to the amount of video memory, maybe it would be worth it to install Rivatuner and check the video memory usage in your heaviest scene. That way, you would know if the difference between 512MB and 768MB would affect you.

Hopper
12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks JCG. This is the kind of info that sheds light on what's really going on. If they're EOL'ing the GTX, I might just see what happens after January. Maybe the new ones will push the cost of these down somewhat. I know these cards will only help so much because of the whole OGL thing, but games are nice too... My BF2 and Warcraft gameplay is suffering somewhat.. lol. :)

Hopper
12-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I just now realized this should have been posted in the LW-PC forum. Apologies... :twak: