PDA

View Full Version : Saving CG projects software problem

TopGun
12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
I have two machines both running VT4.6 both about a year and a half old.

When save a CG project I go to Save>project and it saves the .cg file as well as makes a folder labeled (name).cg where it saves each page created as a .png. For example. Lets say I have 10 pages created and I tweak each one. I would save the project and it would save over each .png in that folder.
Both machines at different times eventualy started NOT saving over each .png. It would save the project, but not save the pages. i would re-install and it would work for a little bit and the revert back to it. i can tell when it happens because the progress bar won't progress when I save the file. So I have to save each individual page manually.
NOW, when I create a new project, it won't even create the .cg.pages folder. So I have to manually save every NEW page. I am working in a new project that will have 100 pages.

Is there something I am doing that is causing this and I just don't realize it? NEED HELP!

Scott Bates
12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
In the VT Utilities folder (or Start > Programs > VT > Utilities) try running "Reset Configs" -whatever it's called in that version - and see if that puts things back to normal.

TopGun
12-15-2007, 01:36 PM
The only thing I see resembling this is "Apply default user settings" and it's not in the Utilities folder, it's just in the VT4 folder. I did it and it didn't work.

It's wierd because it will go to save, the progress bar comes up, and as soon as it is about to kick into saving it, the bar just dissapears real quick. This is really frustrating.

CreatvGnius
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I have two machines both running VT4.6 both about a year and a half old.

When save a CG project I go to Save>project and it saves the .cg file as well as makes a folder labeled (name).cg where it saves each page created as a .png. For example. Lets say I have 10 pages created and I tweak each one. I would save the project and it would save over each .png in that folder.
Both machines at different times eventualy started NOT saving over each .png. It would save the project, but not save the pages. i would re-install and it would work for a little bit and the revert back to it. i can tell when it happens because the progress bar won't progress when I save the file. So I have to save each individual page manually.
NOW, when I create a new project, it won't even create the .cg.pages folder. So I have to manually save every NEW page. I am working in a new project that will have 100 pages.

Is there something I am doing that is causing this and I just don't realize it? NEED HELP!

Not sure if what you've done may have caused this, and while Scott has responded, I thought I'd offer this: I can't help but wonder if it would be best if, on my VT system, I left Windows XP (for me) configured so that Windows Explorer does *not* reveal hidden files and folders, due to my proneness to poke around at things I probably shouldn't.

You see -- I suspect that in times past, I have jacked up my VT system, by virtue of having unwittingly deleted CG project-related files, including some NewTek-related.info -- by performing a delete (or MOVE FILES TO...) function via Windows Explorer, with SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS selected in the window's TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS...menu.

Those .info files might well be more critical than I had imagined, relative to the stability of the system -- should I plan to go back into the (CG Project, say) -- whose .info file(s) are now missing.

That said, I wonder if this could result in a problem not unlike you're experiencing now. I'd sure like to hear some interaction on that conjecture... John Perkins in 'da hause'? Anybody -- feel free to advise: am I onto something here? How so, or how might I be off the mark? Just thinking again...

PeterG

tfrank
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I have seen this problem on our two systems. The oldest system started out as a VT2 system on WIN 2000 and is now VT4.6 WINXP. The 2nd system is a a little over a year old with VT4.6 and WINXP. Both suffer this CG folder issue from time to time. I wish I could find an answer that is better than reloading the software....but I haven't. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find that you are not alone. I can only assume that it's due to a bug in the software that never got squished. I am hoping that this bug was eliminated in VT5. I haven't loaded my upgrades yet.