PDA

View Full Version : realistic eye movement/tracking

PeteS
07-07-2003, 03:22 PM
alright, i got a question. I am working on a short and have a character looking into the camera. So i have the eyes targerting a null and the null parented to the camera. The animation is over 2 minutes long and it looks un-natural to have it constantly looking at the camera. Is there a way, to have him look off for a second than back to the camera? I have parenter from worley and i like the way it changes parents. Which i can do for the eye null but the null wont "jump" to a null. It will just adapt the movement of the null. Is there a simpler way of doing this?

By the way, Worley rules!

Earl
07-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Personally, I would just use a seperate null for the eyes. When you want it to look at the camera, just move the null to the same location as the camera (easy enough to copy and past x,y,z coorindates), then when you want the character to look elsewhere, you can just move the null to that location.

PeteS
07-07-2003, 04:46 PM
yeah that would work. only problem is the camera moves.:mad: but there may be a partial answer in that

marvin
07-07-2003, 07:06 PM
I think Earl answered that when he said copy the x,y,z for the camera to the null for the times you want it to copy the movement.

marvin

PeteS
07-07-2003, 10:24 PM
if the camera was moving, wouldn't that mean i'd need to key EVERY frame for the eye null? oh please tell me i'm wrong:)

marvin
07-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Yeah, you're wrong. Ha! Glad I could say that cause you asked me to...

What you do is go into the graph editor for the camera, hilight x,y, and z then right mouse, and hilight all of the keys you want to copy. Right click on the selected keyframes (as a group since they are all hilighted) and choose copy.

Then open the graph editor for the eye null and paste those keyframes in.

Only hilight the ones you want to paste in for the null.

I hope this made sense...

marvin

PeteS
07-08-2003, 02:29 PM
sounds good to me! I'll give it a try tonight! When i past it, do i need to ne on the first frame of the first key i want pasted or does it remember the frame the keys were copied from?

i've never been so happy to be wrong;)