PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit obtaining AVCHD capability

Sigma Six
12-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know of an "official" position from NewTek if they plan to enable SpeedEdit with the ability to:

1. Capture directly from AVCHD hard drive camcorders (Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc.)?

2. To be able to edit AVCHD natively in SpeedEdit?

If "Yes", any idea of when these capabilities will be available?

Thanks!

Denis G La Bine
12-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know of an "official" position from NewTek if they plan to enable SpeedEdit with the ability to:

1. Capture directly from AVCHD hard drive camcorders (Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc.)?

2. To be able to edit AVCHD natively in SpeedEdit?

If "Yes", any idea of when these capabilities will be available?

Thanks!

Well I have been draining money and time since february, But tonight I found this and doing now, Nero8 does AVCHD basic editing, But can convert mov files to mpg alowing to edit in SpeedEdit, BUT I don't do that, I convert the mo audio files to wav and insert the wav to the high definition movie files and it looks absulutly fantastic, YES doubleing the time to do the job almost, but the speed of Nero 8 converting audio is super fast, be careful it renames the audio files so pay attention to their order to mactch up audio to video.
Tha is has been a very labor intensive FIGHT to get this to work and Yet Newtek Told my I would work in february, no Dec I am told it does not and MAY not, very unconfirmed statements are very missleading, I bought SE because of what I was told that it did work. So other programs that DO work as close as NLE are Prinnicle 11 Plus 49.85 Upgrade, 99.00 full version Best buy. Caution, I ordered it, but never tryly liked Pinnicle's interface, was unprofessional and lacked the higher values of Newtek's NLE systems.
But tonight was a major find. You also can rename all the mov files to mpg or to m2t extensions. I did but not always does SE work with some of them, very odd.
AVCHD does work in sony vegas, BUt Only Sony Vegas Brand of SVCHD, not all AVCHD do work in sony vegas.
Hope this helps

Sigma Six
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I am trying to convert AVCHD from a Canon HG10. I do not fully follow your thread, and would greatly appreciate clarification.

Specifically, it appears you are NOT converting to MPEG but to a "high definition movie files" format. What format is this and how specifically are you converting?

I have researched threads which suggest using Canopus' AVCHD free converter but it requires Edius software. Supposedly it works if you download the free Canopus' Codec Pack too. Tried this but it does not work and unfortunately I do not have Edius. At ~$600 for the program looking for a lower cost solution. Also tried Elecard's free trial download with disasterous results.

Any ideas appreciated!

ted
01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Sigma, with AVCHD being an up and coming format, I'm sure NewTek will be pressed to support it.
However, I don't think it'll be soon enough for your next projects. There are many more popular established formats that need support as well.

AVCHD is not well supported yet by most top NLE's as far as I know of.
As Denis stated, your best bet is to go on line and find an application that can at least convert the files to something SE supports.

And for the record, I've been working very closely with NewTek for a number of years and have never heard any of the personnel or press info say AVCHD would be supported by any date either insinuated or in print.
Have you?

I wish you luck!

ted
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Sigma, one more thought, is there a chance that the camera you shot this footage on come with any software that would allow you to open the footage and save it as some other format?

ted
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I found the following in just a few minutes. Hope this helps.

http://www.cineform.com/products/TechNotes/AVCHD_FileConversion.htm

http://www.jakeludington.com/avchd/

This has a solution for as little as $100
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=Avchd+Editing+Software&FORM=QSRE2

This person claims for as little as $20
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic327850.html

Let us know what works for you as I'm sure we'll all be getting AVCHD files from clients some day.

Denis G La Bine
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Sigma, with AVCHD being an up and coming format, I'm sure NewTek will be pressed to support it.
However, I don't think it'll be soon enough for your next projects. There are many more popular established formats that need support as well.

AVCHD is not well supported yet by most top NLE's as far as I know of.
As Denis stated, your best bet is to go on line and find an application that can at least convert the files to something SE supports.

And for the record, I've been working very closely with NewTek for a number of years and have never heard any of the personnel or press info say AVCHD would be supported by any date either insinuated or in print.
Have you?

I wish you luck!

I just bought upgrade to Pinnacle Plus it works great.
Please STOP refering to newtek and it's pass, get over it. That is not today, I sent my email here online and my question about it specidically asked was answered so I bought it, end of story , as you see it is NOT so. Got that Paul Lara?

Now what does work that I also have, that is NOT my favorate Newtek product to work with is Sony, it's format is also different from other avchd formats, everyone is going around DOING THEIR OWN THING, and us consumers are buying unawares about the MANY flavors OUT their.

Ulead works
Ovation works
Serious magic Visual communicator 2 Pro works
NERO 7,8 works great for conversions and now bragg about doing NLE that I have not checked into.

You have to do A LOT OF HOMEWORK TO GET ANYTHING DONE TODAY, not like is USED to be years ago. You bought, it worked, your done.
I have been a number one fan of Newtek since the AMIGA computer days according to newtek and my newtek friends, who many are no longer with Newtek, but have still developed other softwares, Ovation, Serious Magic, ect.

**** Time is money, we spent MONEY to make time go faster with SPEEDEDIT, try to focus on that **** .

I have to learn life as I am doing, but to put up with continued crap is not appreacaited, I consider this crap, I began in FEB of last year to do my home work and advertise now in new year **** ...we need these issues fixed now.
99.00 dollars or even less 49.99 pinnacle works. I have spend hundreds on computers, systems that are supposed to work with NEWTEK's SpeedEdit, bought many cameras .
So MY questions again is WHAT HD CAMERAS DO WORK WITH SPEEDEDIT SE1.5?

SBowie
01-09-2008, 07:51 AM
WHAT HD CAMERAS DO WORK with SE1.5?AFAIK, pretty much all of the HDV cams are supported. (It would probably be wise to check specific models with others here before committing to a purchase, of course.)

ted
01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, I agree that all these formats make it hard on us in the biz, and those who create products for us to buy and use.

BUT Denis, you really need to be careful with your posts. Maybe you don't intend them to be read the way you sound. Or maybe you do? But you sound like you have been lied to by NewTek many times.

DID PAUL LARA TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU BOUGHT WOULD WORK WITH SPEEDEDIT? I don't think so. I know how careful he is when he tells me something and I've never known him to lie.

I was trying to give Sigma info on AVCHD that I found in a matter of minutes on the internet - he asked all of us for information. That's all I gave him.
Have a GREAT day! :bowdown:

SteelPicR
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I had 3 strokes, 1 heart attack and lost my memory after heart surgary at hospital may 2000

Life is too short to get so bent out of shape over everything that comes along. Anger and stress are killers. I myself spent too many years making a big deal out of small issues...it led me to a stay in the hospital for a heart attack as well. I pick my fights a little more carefully now...thank God!

Sigma Six
01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Sigma, one more thought, is there a chance that the camera you shot this footage on come with any software that would allow you to open the footage and save it as some other format?

Well it appears that it is very unclear at this time IF/WHEN SE will have AVCHD capability. My original questions are answered and I understand the topic much better now! Thanks

In regards to what to do in the meantime, I appreciate all of the ideas. The Canon does come with a basic Corel program which is of limited value. Using Ulead DVD Movie Factory you can open the AVCHD clips and convert to Microsoft AVI, Quick Time, and MPEG. There are assorted compression options based on the format chosen. For the first projects I converted to .avi. using NewTek Video Codec [NT25] (There are many other compression options).

Does anyone know if this is the "BEST" approach for now - any better ideas greatly appreciated!

Sigma Six
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
P.S. Here are the the NewTek compression options available in Ulead DVD MovieFactory SE:

NewTek Video Codec [NT 25]
NewTek SpeedHQ 4:2:2
NewTek SpeedHQ 4:2:2:4 (Alpha)
NewTek SpeedHQ 4:2:0
NewTek SpeedHQ 4:4:4
NewTek SpeedHQ 4:4:4:4 (Alpha)
NewTek VT[3] Video Codec

Any comments on which ones is the best for use in SE?

Sigma Six
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Found this previous post which recommends using SpeedHQ over NT25.
Now not sure which SpeedHQ is best for basic video projects...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73641

ted
01-09-2008, 10:37 PM
While HQ 4-4-4 would technically be best quality, I think the 4-2-2- would be fine for most projects.
I honestly haven't compared them side by side yet but would love to hear your findings! :D

ted
01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
A quick test I did showed a rendered 5 second clip at 14 meg for the 4-2-2 and 210 meg for the 4-4-4. That's a huge size difference!

When doing a side by side wipe, I couldn't see ANY difference. But I was only using my laptop screen to compare the green screen footage.

Also, I'm not sure the 4-4-4 is actually a speedHQ codec by the way it's listed. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

But from the file size, you might tend to consider the 4-2-2. :D

Paul Lara
01-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Any comments on which ones is the best for use in SE?

NT25 is limited to standard definition, so I'd suggest going with SpeedHQ 4:2:2.

Paul Lara
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
So MY questions again is WHAT HD CAMERAS DO WORK WITH SPEEDEDIT SE1.5?

I cannot list all the cameras on the market that now record in HD or HDV, and are natively supported by SpeedEDIT. I can say that SpeedEDIT supports the following HD formats:

DVCPro HD
MXF (with some codec limitations)
XDCAM (if written as MPEG-2 in an MPEG-4 wrapper)
MPEG2 Program Stream
MPEG2 Transport Stream
HDV
MPEG-4

We are always looking at ways to add more formats, and our initial support was focused on the most popular pro formats. While AVCHD is a relatively new HD codec, it's essentially an MPEG-4 file, so I think NewTek will be able to figure this one out as SpeedEDIT continues to advance beyond version 1.5.

ScorpioProd
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
XDCAM (if written as MPEG-4 in an MPEG-2 wrapper)

Actually Paul means "XDCAM (if written as MPEG-2 in an MPEG-4 wrapper)". That's the XDCAM EX that is supported, as opposed to the XDCAM HD (MPEG-2 in a MXF wrapper) that is not.

And the MXF codec limitations being if it's Panasonic MXF it is supported, if it is Sony MXF it is not supported.

Paul Lara
01-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes, thank you Eugene.

Sigma Six
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
While HQ 4-4-4 would technically be best quality, I think the 4-2-2- would be fine for most projects.
I honestly haven't compared them side by side yet but would love to hear your findings! :D

Thanks for the answer - much appreciated!

Paul Vicente
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello All,

Panasonic has released a utility that does a great job of converting AVCHD files recorded on their consumer camcorder into DVCPROHD!

Here is the download link:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm

It is called AVC-HD Transcoder. You can find it a bit down on the page. I downloaded it, and it works like a charm. The end files work perfectly in Speed Edit 1.5 and the quality is excellent.

Regards,
Paul Vicente

:newtek:

John Perkins
01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Actually Paul means "XDCAM (if written as MPEG-2 in an MPEG-4 wrapper)". That's the XDCAM EX that is supported, as opposed to the XDCAM HD (MPEG-2 in a MXF wrapper) that is not.

And the MXF codec limitations being if it's Panasonic MXF it is supported, if it is Sony MXF it is not supported.

Just to add to the confusion...

DVCam MXF's from Sony are supported. It's really the XDCam HD that is the odd man out.