PDA

View Full Version : Mental Images now part of Nvidia

evenflcw
12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mental_images.html

(!)

cresshead
12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
i bet xsi owners are just happy it wasn't autodesk!

Red_Oddity
12-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Now lets hope the atrociously priced MR for Maya render nodes get cheaper now that it is in the hands of company with a larger financial backbone (right now render nodes are 1550 euros for the 64bit version ( = around 2.255 US dollars))

Sil3
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
You can always use the default Maya render hehehe....

/me runs from an enraged Red_Oddity :p

Qexit
12-20-2007, 03:53 AM
i bet xsi owners are just happy it wasn't autodesk!..and what's to stop Autodesk from picking up the pair of them now as a bargain bundle ? :D :rolleyes:

Just kidding....I hope :thumbsup:

cresshead
12-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Now lets hope the atrociously priced MR for Maya render nodes get cheaper now that it is in the hands of company with a larger financial backbone (right now render nodes are 1550 euros for the 64bit version ( = around 2.255 US dollars))

you should nudge autodesk on this...i have 3dsmax and with backburner have UNLIMITED render capability with mental ray...so does maya not get this???

i know xsi is PAINFUL and costly so autodesk with max really scores over those 2 currently.

:D

frantbk
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
If Autodesk is smart it will leave them alone. Besides what does Autodesk need Nividia for anyway?

Stooch
12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
i hope nvidia improves MR to use the gfx hardware better for faster motion blur and better OGL texture preview. its about time a hardware manufacturer backs a render solution. surprised this didnt happen sooner.

Red_Oddity
12-20-2007, 01:18 PM
you should nudge autodesk on this...i have 3dsmax and with backburner have UNLIMITED render capability with mental ray...so does maya not get this???

i know xsi is PAINFUL and costly so autodesk with max really scores over those 2 currently.

Well, that's what has been pissing me off for so long, ALias/Autodesk,create probably THE most used 3d package, they make sure student get tought on NOTHING BUT Maya, and then they expect you to pay 2200 euros for Complete or 7000 euros for Unlimited and don't give you ANY network render nodes for MR WHATSOEVER.

I am so tired of these huge profiteering backstabbing two faced companies (yes, i'm pointing a huge (middle) finger to you too Adobe) squeezing this creative business to death, and not just by their unethical pricing schemes but also by their patenting and buying up of any competing companie or creative technolgie (and than have it die a slow death along with its user base, see Motionbuilder, Entropy, Freehand, Shake)

And XSI is actually a very good deal (maybe even the best of the lot, as far as europe is concerned then, as they too seem to think 1 US dollar is worth 1 Euro).

There seems to be some confusion on what licenses you get for what package (and don't bother asking your retailer, as they don't know either, and don't even bother to call or email you back, arrogant profiteering bastards)
XSI Advanced (4400 euros) comes with 12 Mental Ray render nodes and 24 Mental Ray Satelite licenes (MR Satelite is a way to render using other computers together with your own on a single image, so only really usefull with scenes that take a long while to render, other wise your just wasting render time on network traffics)

Whereas Maya gives you 8 MR satelite nodes for Maya Unlimted (7000 euros) and 2 MR satelite nodes for Maya Complete (2200 euros), yet not one version gives you ANY MR for Maya standalone nodes. Sure you get unlimited render nodes for Maya's build in renderer, but that one hasn't been updated in 6 years and even back than it was a piece of garbage.

Max gives you 8 licenses as far as i remember and unlimited rendernodes on the Max scanline renderer, but Autodesk is extremely vague on everything concerning licenses, maybe Cresshead knows more about this (i've seen him snooping around on the 3Dmax Area forums, sneaky bugger you )

Anyhoo, the larger the company, the more difficult it is to get good deals without getting screwed over (pay insane amounts of money for render nodes, non existent support unless you cough up a months worth of salery, insane upgrade costs, no discounts on updates when you miss ONE update cycle, no trnasferable licenses, etc)
And the larger the company the more vague the web sites become, the more corporate and unfriendly the forums and user base becomes.

Etc...i can gripe and ***** all day about this but who cares.

cresshead
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
3dsmax has unlimited render nodes via backburner for mental ray which beats everyone else including maya and xsi by a loooong way...
[you get backburner in the install of max]

max is also unlimited [actually 10,000] for the scanline renderer too.
as for vray, final render and brazil..well they all offer different stuff.

Red_Oddity
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Hmmm...i wonder if that would make it possible to write out scenes from Maya as .mi files and render those on the farm with a single lisence of Max.
I wonder what it means for shaders...theoretically when all systems use, say MR 3.6 they should render the same right?

Incidently, did you see this one Cresshead? http://www.mentalimages.com/2_4_mentalmill/index.html
Is this new? Sounds like FX Composer for Mental Ray...

RedBull
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
..and what's to stop Autodesk from picking up the pair of them now as a bargain bundle ? :D :rolleyes:

Just kidding....I hope :thumbsup:

Heheh, Nvidia 20Billion networth is worth almost double what Autodesk is worth (11Billion) so we can assume that Autodesk will not be buying Nvidia...
Nvidia buying Autodesk, well that could always happen. :)

Lightwolf
12-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Hmmm...i wonder if that would make it possible to write out scenes from Maya as .mi files and render those on the farm with a single lisence of Max.
I think exactly that is the limitation of all mr licenses that come bundled with a host app (or are bought later for a host app). No .mi reading. For that you'd need the full version which afaik can also utilize the GPU a lot better.

Cheers,
Mike

DiscreetFX
12-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Heheh, Nvidia 20Billion networth is worth almost double what Autodesk is worth (11Billion) so we can assume that Autodesk will not be buying Nvidia...
Nvidia buying Autodesk, well that could always happen. :)

Or in a surprise move Amiga Inc. could buy both of them.