PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on "make poly" tool and setup?

Algae998
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Hello all,

This is my first model I am creating that is not using any LW or Zbrush primatives, rather adding points and using the make polygon tool.
The idea of this is to take this signature and make it 3d (obviously) so I can add it to another project. I dont have a lot of experience with adding points, making polys or using the backdrop, but it seems fairly straight forward. This will be added to a Zbrush model so the poly's can only be 3-4 sided, but I will be extruding/beveling the polys to give depth.

My question for all of you 3d guru's is...am I going about this correctly? Do I have the topology setup correctly or is there anything you would suggest?

Mark The Great
12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't call myself a guru, but I'll attempt to comment.

Personally, I'd be using quads for this kind of thing. That's probably just personal preference though. When you come up to a meeting of two lines, quads can work quite nicely (see attachment)

Algae998
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Gotcha, I see what you mean. As I continued with the 3 sided poly setup, there were a number of areas that were just cluttered bunches. Haha, Im not very good at topo. But I was able to extrude my model and render it! :D
Thanks for the suggestion, Ill have to redo it in that method.

THREEL
12-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey there Aaron! May I call you Aaron?

Could you send me that image file, and I'll see if I can give you some pointers on a better way of doing it.

You don't want to make this one polygon at a time. There are ways of doing it faster and more efficently, especially if you want to subpatch your model down the road. And, 4 point polys are definitely the way to go. You will, also, need some 5 poly points to get it to look right.

FYI--A 5 poly point is where 5 polygons meet at one point.

BTW--Check out these guys on this forum: WilliamVaughn (aka Proton), Surrealist, and SplineGOD just to name a few. They have tutorials and videos, many which are free to help walk you through the different aspects of LightWave.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

Algae998
12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply AL.
The image I was using is just a .psd file that I threw into the backdrop topview. Ive uploaded the file as an attachment because its not very large and its a pretty low rez image, that way you can just save the file.

I see what you mean about sub patching the model, mine became very...interesting haha. Id like to have more flexibility with it but it has given me the results I was looking for, more or less.
This is my girlfriends "tag"/signature that I took a picuture of so Im going to make a snazzy high rez image of the model and have it printed up and framed for her as a christmas present...so shhhh :D

If you feel so inclined to have a whack at it then I thank you greatly in advance, but if not, its still been fun!

archijam
12-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Got any other programs?

Try a vectorisation app, illustrator, corel trace, etc.

Even Photoshop may be your best option:
open high res image
turn test into selection
selection into path
export eps.

Import eps (fine), extrude .. ? :)

Should be quicker than tracing ...

j.

ps. remember to show us the final result ...

Algae998
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I do have access to photoshop and illustrator but I not familiar with the workflow your describing. Sounds like its work a shot!
Thanks for the tips, Ill have to poke around with that.
I will certainly post a final result once I render one that Im satisfied with.

THREEL
12-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Got any other programs?

Try a vectorisation app, illustrator, corel trace, etc.

Even Photoshop may be your best option:
open high res image
turn test into selection
selection into path
export eps.

Import eps (fine), extrude .. ? :)

Should be quicker than tracing ...

j.

ps. remember to show us the final result ...

This may give you an outside trace of the image, but will it give you a decent work flow, in case you want to subpatch it?

THREEL
12-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm working on modeling the R. Also, I'm saving it in several layers, so hopefully, you can reverse engineer it to get a better idea of how I built it.

That way you can build the rest.

AL

Algae998
12-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Thank you kindly for your interest an effort on this project :D My low level skills only allow for so much 3d manipulation.

THREEL
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Thank you kindly for your interest an effort on this project :D My low level skills only allow for so much 3d manipulation.

Been there, done that!

Go to the WIP section and take a look at the football helmet that I built. This is the level that I'm at currently.

tHANX to the great advice by many of the kind :lwicon:vers on this very forum.

AL

THREEL
12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey there Aaron!

Sorry, I haven't got anything back to you, yet. We had a massive snowstorm roll through, probably the same one your seeing tonight, and it played havoc with are power. It was going on and off all day. So, needless to say, I was unable to work on this today.

I'll see what I can do, now that the power is staying on, I think.

AL

Algae998
12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I looked up your WIP and the helmet looks great! :thumbsup: I hope I can gain enough knowledge in LW to be able to make stuff like that, or anything.

Yea I understand with the snowstorm... We got hit moderately, probably 8 or so inches in 24 hours with increasing winds/blizzard conditions. No power outages here, but if we did I do all of my work on my laptop, so Id be all set for about an hour and a half :D

Ill be able to work on my version since I dont have any exams today or tomarrow for school. It is rather difficult to get the extreme chrome look I want when the letters have such a 90 degree angle from the front to the sides. It makes it a challenge trying to get the proper lighting so the sides are lit equally. Ill probably mess around with it some more today before starting over.

The attached image was sort of a render test without a volumetric back light. I like the way the sides are looking but the front is a bit too blan. Ill probably play around with some colored point lights or some other variation to get a little more life into the front.

Algae998
12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Welp, I think I finally finsihed this project for printing. I worked on it for a while today, after moving hundreds of pounds of snow, and was able to get a render I was pretty happy and satisfied with. I should be able to get this printed later this week, probably 12"x18" or maybe a larger poster size.
Its been fun. Now its time to throw this signature model on another model of mine to have it 3d printed! :hey:

THREEL
12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Welp, I think I finally finsihed this project for printing. I worked on it for a while today, after moving hundreds of pounds of snow, and was able to get a render I was pretty happy and satisfied with. I should be able to get this printed later this week, probably 12"x18" or maybe a larger poster size.
Its been fun. Now its time to throw this signature model on another model of mine to have it 3d printed! :hey:

Evening Aaron,

Do you want that jaggy look, or are you looking to smooth it out? I'm working on something you can subpatch to smooth it out.

Stay tuned!

AL

Algae998
12-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Yea now that you point it out, the outline of the object is a bit too jaggy. Id like to be able to smooth it out, but I fear Ill have to remodel it.
I will cetainly stay tuned tho!

Algae998
12-18-2007, 01:04 AM
This is one of the projects that the 3d signature will be appended to which Ive been making with LW and Zbrush. I think I will probably be placing the signature right in place of the red painted one. Originally I was going to have this model 3d printed but it was a bit too expensive and would be a litte too fragile so I will most likely have this printed poster size and another, light weight version 3d printed.

Itll take a bit of work, but Im thinkin the text logo will add nicely to this model.

THREEL
12-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Hey there Aaron,

Here's a rendered frame & object file, scene, etc... of the R that I built. It, also, has the slash for the A started, so you can build off of it, hopefully.

Run down of the progression of Rave002 object file in layers:

1. Make simple outline with Add Points (+). Then, Make Polgon (p)
2. Bevel inward (b), Numeric (n). No shift, but inset accordingly
3. Delete interior polygon.
4. Make polygons for holes. Add point (+), make polygon (p)
5. Used Knife (Shift+k) to cut polygon to right of hole polygons.
This will be used later on to extend to the A in Rave.
6. Beveled the 2 hole polys to the outside.
7. Deleted the 2 very inside holes polygons, so there will be holes there.
8. Selected 4 points at a time, and then Make Polygon (p) to construct
all of the interior quads (4 point polys).
Make sure you pick the points in the right order, or you'll end up with
a non-planar poly. If your poly is backwards just Flip (f) it.
9. Subpatch (Tab) Polys.
10. Use Knife (k), BandsawPro (assign a Shortcut Key), Move (t),
Stretch (h), and Rotate (y) to match object with image background.
11. Select the 4 points on the outside, right side of the R and use
Extender Plus (e), and then, move to left side of A in Rave.
Rotate these points to line up with left side of A.
Use Knife (k) make more geometry and Move (t), Stretch (h), and
Rotate (y) into place.
Copy Layer 11 and paste in Layers 12 & 13.
12. Use Smooth Shift (Shift+f) 2" @ 100%
13. Flip (f) everything in this Layer.
Copy Layer 12 & 13 and Paste to Layer 14.
14. Layers 12 & 13. I did nothing to these, so you could see the
difference between this Layer and Layer 15.
Copy Layer 14 and Paste to Layer 15.
15. Merge (m) points that share the same space. Don't select any points.
The overlaying points should Merge when you hit Enter.
Note: I usually uncheck the Keep 1-point polygons box.
16. Select a couple of Polys that run along the center of the outside edge
and run BandSaw Pro. The default is 50%, but I change that to a
lower # and the mirror it. Tihs is where you can decide how round
you want your edges to be.
Also, run BandSaw Pro with the same settings on the interior holes.
17. Deleted the polys at the very right end of the slash, so you could
build the A off of it.

Please, forgive me if I missed anything.

I hope this helps. I've had a lot of help and many pointers shared with me by several of the great people that frequent the :newtek: :lwicon: forum, so I figured that I'd give a little in return. Please, let me know if I have been of service to you.

If you ever do make it big, all I ask is that you remember me. :D

AL

THREEL
12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Aaron,

I just got to thinking. If you do decide to build off what I started, go to the layer where I have the R all done, but flat. It will be much easier to build from there. Then, you can redo your Smooth Shift (Shift+f) from there. Also, don't forget to copy & paste it in a different layer, so you can flip it an Merge (m) it to your Smooth Shifted layer.

AL

Algae998
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, I am astonished as to the effort you put into this endeavor :D . I went through the detailed steps you listed and followed along in modeler. It looks pretty straight forward but Ill have to spend some more time studying the processes around steps 12-16.
Thank you kindly for the tutorial on how to do this, it will certainly increase my modeling knowledge! Hopefully one of these days Ill be able to post answers, like what youre doing, instead of always asking questions.

Ill begin working on this today and will post the results when I can. Although I want to do nothing more than work on this project all day, I have to study for a final...blah.
Thank you again for your help on this, its been fun!

THREEL
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Glad to be of service to you, Aaron! :)

Like, I've said before, I've had a bunch of :lwicon: help from others figuring things out here, so I thought I'd give a little back.

One person in particular that's helped me out a great deal goes by the name of Surrealist on this forum. Check out his profile. He has some links that will help you further advance your modeling knowledge.

I think he has a link to his tutorials and SplineGOD's as well.

William Vaughan, aka Proton, has shared many video tutorials with the :lwicon: community that are free for you to download and check out. They're well worth the download time. You'll find most of these tutes in the Tips, Tricks, and Techniques section of the forum.

These are just a few of the experts that frequent these parts.

Please, let us see your progression on this project.

AL