PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lightwave problem

Lavrik
07-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I read through the book all handy dandy till chapter 8 creating a skyscraper.2 issues
1.When i merge points it says merged 528 points instead of 8 like book says
2.When i select all the points and make pol it looks real strange and some places are just see through as if nothings there

marvin
07-07-2003, 07:22 PM
It's kind of difficult to tell what you problem may be. For 1, make sure merge points is set to automatic, not relative.

for 2, You should only be selecting 4 points and select them in order. If it looks like nothing happened, maybe the poly is facing away from you. To see, hit 'f' on your keyboard to flip the polys.

I have not gotten that inside LW, so can't even follow you if you were to tell me which step it went bad on, but these are suggestions that may be able to help you out.

marvin

blinblue
07-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Could you post what page it says to merge the points (I have the book, but it would take to long to find that).

Just a tip in genaral, if something doesn't work, try it again a few steps back.

dablan
07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
It's a pretty long tutorial, so it's hard to say what the error might be.

Check out the insidelightwave.com website, where there's an errata for the books.

http://insidelightwave.com/inlw7errata.htm

Thanks,
Dan Ablan
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.
www.3dgarage.com

MarkJTaylor
07-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Wow; the first one is a tricky one to answer; I'd just suggest going through the tutorial again and see what happens.

If not; are you talking about at the beginning of the chapter; how you use disc's to get the rough shape of the skyscraper; then select the points around the discs to form the outline? Make sure when you make your discs; that when you hit 'n' You don't have the subdivisions set too high.

As for the second one; make sure you select the points in the right order; don't jump around or else when you make your polygon; you'll have unexpected results.

Lavrik
07-07-2003, 10:58 PM
The page is 315 where u have to select all the points counterclockwise i tried 4 times but every time it looked screwed up.