PDA

View Full Version : content structure problem.

daros
12-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi to all,
i have a problem.
I want to convert a scene that use the "content" folder structure in to one with absolute paths.
example:
- original texture reference inside the object = images/texture.tga
- wanted reference: z:\materials\textues\texture.tga

obtained result : textures/texture.tga.

it's the whole day i' m trying to convert my scene to absolute paths without any success.
My "auto-detect content" option is switched off and the content in LW content Path is in a completely different location to force Lightwave to redefine the texture paths.
I' m a Lightwave user since 1996 and it is very frustrating not being able to solve this basic issue.

Is there a way to completely switch off the content directory structure in Lightwave and work out everything only with absolute paths?
thanks

best regards

THREEL
12-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Hi daros,

Usually, I set up my projects in their own little folder and sub-folders like so:

Project NAME (main folder)
Objects (sub-folder)
Images (sub-folder)
Scenes (sub-folder)
Animations (sub-folder)
Rendered Frames (sub-folder)

If I use an object, image, etc... from :lwicon: content, or another location, I try to copy it to the proper sub-folder for the project that I'm working on. For example, if I use the Raytraced silver tga preset file that comes with :lwicon:, I would copy that to my project's Images folder, if I remember to. :lol:

Now, I still get a prompt to direct :lwicon: to look for a file sometimes, but once I show it that file, it self-detects the rest of the required info, usually.

Hope this helps!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

IMI
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Couldn't you open the .lws scene file type the path in manually? I've never tried it.
That to me, would be scary to have an option built in to allow absolute paths, because I'd probably use it..and forget to backup all the files. As it is, separate Content folders for every project is an excellent way to keep track of everything.
not so good on disk space if that's an issue, if you have the same 50 MB image files in several different content folders, but still it's alot better of a way to keep track of where everything is.

daros
12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks for your help but i need truly to workout my scene without content paths. I only want to know is there is some way to replace relative texture paths inside LW objects with absolute paths.

Best regards

david rossmann

katsuy
12-17-2007, 05:30 AM
it will be a nice feature to be able to add multiple content paths...like in autocad

ie images >>look in c:i/mages... and z:/images and z:/my images/favorite

for example...

no?

k

Dexter2999
12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Not to me.

Sounds like a recipe for bad file management. Also can make archiving a project with all relevant sources a possible nightmare.

IMI
12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your help but i need truly to workout my scene without content paths. I only want to know is there is some way to replace relative texture paths inside LW objects with absolute paths.

Best regards

david rossmann

I don't believe there is a way to do that. You might want to make a feature request for such an option. Can't hurt any.

Exception
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Best regards

david rossmann

Open your .lws in wordpad, search and replace your content directory folders (eg "images/") with the absolute path (eg "C:/projects/ProjectA/images/").

I don't know how to deal with folder names with spaces in them. Make a quick scene with an image in it outside the content directory, save it, and look at it in a text viewer how those are stored. Then it's pretty easy to do.

IMI
12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
It can be done with lws scene files, but daros was asking if it could be done with lwo object files, which store the texture path info for the objects themselves.