PDA

View Full Version : Hi Def Ready?

shaughnessy
12-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I love your products, and have operated a VT-3 for 4 years without much of a glitch. I am shopping the tricaster but what concerns me...Am I overlooking features or Is the 'Studio' ready for the upcoming HD TV requirements? If bought today, please explain how the equipment will prepare me for the extended future with this fast approaching HD deadline...
Thanks

PIZAZZ
12-14-2007, 10:52 AM
shaughnessy,

What do you do exactly that you feel like the overhyped "impending switchover" is going to effect you?

*** Rant on ****
I can't believe so much of the misinformation that I hear about the switchover. The biggest misunderstanding is that people think the switchover is about going to HD. The requirements are not HD but only to broadcast digital. Let me repeat that... "The requirements are not HD but only to broadcast digital." It is up to the local station to broadcast HD or not.

Our locals do the following currently --
NBC -- digitally broadcasts in 480i
CBS -- digitally broadcasts in 480i but passes through HD network feeds in 1080i
ABC -- digitally broadcasts in 720p network content and upscales local programming from 480i to 720p
Fox -- well they are barely on the air here locally as it is. 2 cans and a string kind of thing

I don't remember the real number anymore but the percentage of people who are to be effected by the changeover is under 10%. So if you have cable or satellite, you signal will not change one little bit. Nothing will happen in February 2009 at all for you. You will still be able to watch the same junk on cable at 480i with no expense of a new set whatsoever.

**** Rant mode off *****

What does this mean for the majority of video producers out there.... Well the current Tricaster offerings and future offerings will be able to be used for many many years to come. Event production is very very slowly embracing HD projection simply because it is crazy expensive to project in Full HD. The latest craze of Web Video like YouTube, Justin.tv, etc. don't need HD workflow to put out a 320x240 windows media stream. Tie all that together along with the lack of any widespread way to distribute HD content to the consumer... why are we pushing for HD? Oh that is right... just because the FCC wants us to.

So the questions I ask my clients when they ask me about HD on the TriCaster or VT is this...

Are you going to be producing and delivering video in HD to the networks?
Are you going to be producing and delivering video in HD in the next 6-12months?
Do you even have real HD cameras or plan to soon?
Do you have or plan to have HD projection in the next year?

The answers to those questions are the ones that indicate whether or not anyone should sit on the fence and not buy empowering technology right now. I personally feel that anyone considering a TriCaster product right now cutting edge. By the time you REALLY need HD live production, NewTek will have a product for you. NewTek will also have a generous upgrade path as they always have. You can't be dealing with a better company.

:)

Tarheel Cougar
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I think the question is appropriate. Consumer HDV camcorders are under $1,000, and "broadcast" HD cameras are becoming more affordable. Everyone with a PS3 and a plasma TV has the capability of watching a HD program produced on a blu-ray disc. Bandwidth is increasing so HD web streaming may be a reality one day. Not to mention venues with projectors who may be considering IMAG in HD. I'm also curious as to when Newtek HD products will be available even if we have to downconvert our final product, if nothing else, for archival purposes and potential DVD sales. Something to consider if the price difference isn't that great.

PIZAZZ
12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I think the question is appropriate. Consumer HDV camcorders are under $1,000, and "broadcast" HD cameras are becoming more affordable. Everyone with a PS3 and a plasma TV has the capability of watching a HD program produced on a blu-ray disc. Bandwidth is increasing so HD web streaming may be a reality one day. Not to mention venues with projectors who may be considering IMAG in HD. I'm also curious as to when Newtek HD products will be available even if we have to downconvert our final product, if nothing else, for archival purposes and potential DVD sales. Something to consider if the price difference isn't that great.

Jared,

I was not saying the question was not appropriate. I was merely saying that the sky is not falling as fast as others would like the general consumer to think. I agree about the PS3. It makes little sense at all to buy a Sony BluRay DVD player when the PS3 is the same price or lower. As far as Venues going HD for IMAG.... I install and work in many and I can tell you that the expense of HD FAR FAR outweighs the return. Keep in mind that the new LED walls are many times even less than SD resolution. HD is the furthest thing from happening for someone that just dropped $200k on an SD LED wall. Just some of the feedback I have been getting lately.

So I suggest that anyone looking into TriCaster to buy it now, If you need HD output right this second then look at either upscaling the 16x9 output or another solution altogether. Of course the closest HD equivalent of everything the TriCaster Studio gives you will cost you 3-4 times as much. Add up a HD switcher $12-15k, HD DDR x 2 ($10k each), HD CG station ($8k), HD monitors (5k ish), and you get into some serious money very quickly.

Sure I would love to have an HD product in hand right now to sell but I will be willing to bet that 95% of the people that buy it would still be doing SD content creation and production. I would rather wait and see what surprises NewTek has in mind for the future than have something that just does HD for doing HD's sake.

Tarheel Cougar
12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Good point Jef, I know I'm dreaming and we're definately SD and will be until the local cable company upgrades its local insertion channels to HD (never). But we routinely shoot in HDV for various reasons, sometimes to pan the image at full resolution in post, other times just for archival of important events. But thinking about it, from cameras to deck, we pretty much already have a lot of HD(V) components on both ends. With some exceptions (such as monitors) the only missing component from being able to say we are a fully-capable HD unit is in the switching/CG/etc provided by the VT/Tricaster. We can already post in HD, but that is certainly not the same.

Incidentally, I would like to talk to you about some cat-5 camera solutions and that instant replay device in the near future if you still have it available.

shaughnessy
12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.

ted
12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
With TriCaster being such a hit I'm sure NewTek will deliver an HD TriCaster.
I would love to hear of an up-grade path for those that move forward and purchase now.

tfrank
01-04-2008, 04:38 PM
shaughnessy,

I can't believe so much of the misinformation that I hear about the switchover. The biggest misunderstanding is that people think the switchover is about going to HD. The requirements are not HD but only to broadcast digital. Let me repeat that... "The requirements are not HD but only to broadcast digital." It is up to the local station to broadcast HD or not.

:)
This is a major point. You are absolutely correct! Unfortunately the vast majority of the public, both in and out of the industry, do not understand this.

billmi
01-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Nor do they all want to.

It's in the best interest of commission based consumer electronics salesmen to convince their customers that what they currently own will soon be outdated and unusable.