PDA

View Full Version : Intel Based Macbook Pro compatability

Zylyx
12-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi!

I've been a Lightwave 3D user for a few years now on the Windows platform, but I'm considering getting a Macbook Pro laptop.

I would like to know if the current version of LightWave 3D for sale (v9), can run out of the box on the Intel based Macbook Pro laptop?

I've done some research and read that the Intel based version of Lightwave was released in March (not too sure if this info is true), so I'm presuming that the current version of Lightwave can run Intel based Macs. Is this true?

I'm kinda getting to grips with these compatibility issues between different Macs (universal binaries, etc). Also, if there isnít a version of Lightwave for Intel based Macs, will the current version available still be able to run on the Intel based Mac?

Thanx in advance!

- ZYlyx

Kuzey
12-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Currently there are two Mac versions,a universal binary and the PPC one. So you are covered, but the third party plugin makers haven't caught up yet...so it's best to use both :hey:

People with actual Intel Macs might jump in about...................................Now

:D

Kuzey

Zylyx
12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Ok, so I found out the use of the "Search" button on these forums...lol.

So I guess the the latest version of Lightwave 9 available runs straight out the box on Intel Based Mac running OS X 10.5.

Now I have another question. Do Lightwave plugins for V9 that you can get for free (from various sites, etc), work on any platform for V9 of Lightwave, or do the plugins have to be specificaly developed for each individual platform & OS?

Zylyx
12-14-2007, 07:47 AM
@Kuzey: Thnx!!!

P.S. This might seem like a stupid question, but are both versions on the CD that comes with the program? Are they both installed by default?

Kuzey
12-14-2007, 07:55 AM
What's a cd...just kidding. I would think so, but you can always download both from this site.

As for the plugins, I think if they are Lscripts they should work with the UB version but other kinds of plugins need to be ported.

There is a third option, you can always install Windows XP or Vista and run the PC version of LW.

All the best,

Kuzey

Zylyx
12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
cool, thnx for the info.

BeeVee
12-14-2007, 08:01 AM
The Program CD you install LightWave from is a dual format disc, so that if you put it in a Windows PC you see the Windows side and on a Mac you see the Mac side! It's like magic I tells ye!

B