PDA

View Full Version : uvtexture how to ?

hub73
12-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Hi !

i'm very newbie with lw 9.3

i'm trying to understand how apply an image on my model with the uvmap technic. i've read the pdf documentation, but i've some questions.

- How to export the wireframe uvtexture view to a graphics file. My main goal is to draw inside photoshop the details. Next reload the image inside Lw and apply it to my model. No found this into the doc !

- How to choose the size of this graphic file (width and height). Are you limited to 1024x1024 pixels ? (i don't want use my model inside a video game, just rendered views).

Many thanks for your help !

BeeVee
12-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Use the Export Encapsulated PostScript function in File > Export. If you are using a subpatched object the lines won't be the curves you see in the UV window.

B

lesterfoster
12-14-2007, 07:26 AM
What about LightWave Rendition for Adobe Photoshop. Can't this do that?

http://www.newtek.com/rendition/#

hub73
12-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Many thanks BeeVee it works.

i've another question now.

1) i select the top ship polygons
2) i create new uvmap : (planar) map>texture>new uvmap
3) i scale it... ok
http://zigwigwis.com/lw/hub03.gif

4) next i invert my selection (view>selection>invert)
5) i add the rest of the ship : (planar) map>texture>make UVs
but... why some points are connected to the previous uvmap ? i've inverted the selection ! i want two separate parts !

http://zigwigwis.com/lw/hub04.gif

Thanks for your help !

BeeVee
12-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Why not make two separate UV maps or unweld the two halves temporarily while you add them to one UV map (if you need to only have one because of limitations of other tools).

B

gerry_g
12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Learn to think in terms of the projection modes the uv tools offer you, the engine pods and perhaps the main body would each be best unwrapped separately using a cylindrical mapping mode set to the appropriate axis, the wings to a planar projection. As BeeVee states, any partial uv mapping requires you to unweald the mesh beforehand, this is fine so long as you remember to weald everything back together again when you're done.

hub73
12-14-2007, 01:42 PM
many thanks for your advices.

Finally i'm trying another thing. Perhaps more simple for me.

- Is it possible to combine texture uvmap with lw classic surface rendering ? If fact just paste somes parts of an uvmap on the model.

- in this case, could you use the alpha transparency of the pasted image (.png)

1) I've selected only some polygons (wings and body).
2) i've created uvmap.
3) i've exported the file to .eps. Inside phtoshop i've drawn my logo.
4) i've loaded the image into the uvtexture view. But this seems not the good way because my logos not appear on the wings. So what's the next step to put them on the model ?

http://www.zigwigwis.com/lw/hub05.gif

Many thanks and sorry to be a poor newbie !

gerry_g
12-14-2007, 02:10 PM
in the Texture editor sett the projection type to 'uv', from the UV Map tab select the name of the map you made and finally from the Image tab select the image that corresponds to the selected uv map.

hub73
12-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Texture editor = surface editor ? How to access to this ?

geothefaust
12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Hello,

F5 will bring up your surface editor. Then you must select the surface for the part of the object you are trying to map the image to. The click the "T" for texture next to color, this will bring up another window, you must select the type of projection that you are trying to do, I assume you are doing a UV type, so select that.

Then you must select a UV map, particularly the one you've made previously. Now select the image you want to load for the UV map.

This should do it.

hub73
12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
found it. Thanks !

hub73
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Works fine now. Could you combine the picture pasted on the wing, for example with a gold texture bellow ? In this case could you also use image transparency (if my logo is inside a circle and the used texture image a .png file with alpha) ?

http://zigwigwis.com/lw/hub06.gif

geothefaust
12-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Hello again Hub,

Sorry for the late reply.

You can combine multiple images, no doubt about it. :)

I can't remember if you can use the alpha (Edit: & transparency) from a .png, but I know you can use one from a .psd, so I wouldn't see why you couldn't use one for other files.

The question is, on my part, as I don't know the answer to this... Can you use the alpha from another layer in the same file? I just normally set it up with another image, which seems to work just fine.

Verlon
12-15-2007, 12:19 PM
The Texturing a Viper DVD from Kurv Studios has some very useful tips on this.

Actually both DVDs were very helpful to me. The first one covers some basic UV setup, and the second is more in depth.

IMI
12-15-2007, 09:07 PM
The question is, on my part, as I don't know the answer to this... Can you use the alpha from another layer in the same file? I just normally set it up with another image, which seems to work just fine.

Not as far as I know, but instead of loading a different image, you can just use the existing one with is alpha channel, by creating an instance of it in the Image Editor (F6).

hub73
12-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all these new replies ! Time to me to investigate more myself with this !

kurv
01-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow, nice model...!!

If you need any help with the texturing, let us know at KURV :)