PDA

View Full Version : Casting an actors shadow?

joseburgos
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Can this be done and if so, what am I missing?

Take care,

SBowie
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Not with the LivesEt Generator for LW. (The upcoming Aura equivalent provides some shadow alternatives though.)

joseburgos
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
This is a real big deal in some sets for a high end look.
Hope it is added in the next version.

Take care,

CreatvGnius
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Can this be done and if so, what am I missing?

Take care,

Just to be a bit more clear, Jose' -- I believe what's being discussed is the matter of implementing in a future version of Virtual Set Creator, the effect of creating a "synthetic" shadow for object(s) or talent that are in front of the screen, in a LiveSet™ arrangement.

That's if I'm understanding it correctly...
-PeterG

joseburgos
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes and if I can add, it should be a feature added to the builder master plug-in.
It should have built into the render a Z buffer of the scene to use with the "synthetic" shadow.
This way the shadow really looks like it is a part of the set and not just a drop shadow.
Another way is for the feature to be togglable in Input setup/Liveset.
This way it can be turned on and off by the user and not be a permanet part of the created set.
It would be nice if it also had an intensity slider as well if it is in Input Setup/LiveSet.

Take care,

SBowie
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, I'm hoping for support for something like ray-traced shadows (with a blur, unless there is also support for shadow mapping.)

I'm not positive, but suspect a Z-buffer solution would only 'fall-off', not necessarily conform properly (wrap around) to 3D objects?

joseburgos
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
In DFX+4, it has the ability to do exactly that.
So I am sure they can figure it out or I should say I hope they figure it out.
I do not know how they can render a shadow in LW since the input is unknown at render time.
But heck, what do I know Andrew and crew prefrom magic all the time with this stuff so yeah I am with you on that but would settle for a good fake shadow :)

SBowie
12-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Cool - possible I guess, on reflection (no pun intended!)

I'm in the same boat, but presumably there's someone working at NewTek for whom this isn't 'guesswork.' ;)

John Perkins
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
The LiveSet playback is capable of doing the shadows correctly, it's the LW to LiveSet conversion that is tricky.

If you remember the NAB set where Kiki walks in front of a globe and her shadow casts across the globe and floor correctly as she walks around, that was an early example done by hand using LW and Andrew's brain. Unfortunately, Andrew's brain is not included with the plugin.

In time this feature will be added, it's just not that time yet ;)

ssdcinc
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM
In time this feature will be added, it's just not that time yet ;)

which feature ANDREW BRAIN ?
..cause having a buit in AI would be super cool ;)

John Perkins
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
lol, that's better than my joke. Stop that ;)

SBowie
12-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I really want to see that built in, if not as a button label, at least as a tooltip ...

jabbermike
12-14-2007, 12:44 AM
(The upcoming Aura equivalent provides some shadow alternatives though.)

sorry for going OT, but can somebody give me a hint/link about the Aura equivalent? Bauhaussoftware is not selling Mirage anymore.

Cheers,

mike

Verlon
12-14-2007, 05:31 AM
the Andrew's Brain Tooltip?

AT LEAST include AndrewsBrain (TM) in the manual.

:devil:

SBowie
12-14-2007, 06:24 AM
sorry for going OT, but can somebody give me a hint/link about the Aura equivalent?I'm not entirely sure what info you're looking for, but if you have a VT system, you have Aura in one incarnation or another.

CreatvGnius
12-14-2007, 06:56 AM
which feature ANDREW BRAIN ?
..cause having a buit in AI would be super cool

lol, that's better than my joke. Stop that ;)

Now, *WAIT!* What's so artificial about Andrew's *brain*?
:D
PeterG

Buddy.Hannon
06-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I know that this is a blast from the past, but in 2007 (Read this Thread) it seemed like shadows were a planned feature to eventually be added for virtual sets.
Six years later...are we at Eventual yet? :)