PDA

View Full Version : Rail extrude, it never ever works

Geoff Vane
12-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I can't take it any longer. If it's not coughing up twisted and distorted nonsense, it just doesn't work at all.
Multi spline extrude works when I just create some crap splines, but with the actual good ones it doesn't work. It's good I don't live near the Lightwave programmers...

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=railextrudeproblemcm0.jpg

cagey5
12-13-2007, 07:10 AM
It probably doesn't know which spline to head down. It should be centred on one and the second one used to dictate the shape modifications.

mccabejc
12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, you should probably read the manual. It says that with multiple curves you need a "main cloning" curve and a "shaping curve", and the associated images clearly show one curve down the middle directing the path, and the other(s) defining the shape.

cagey5
12-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Having said that. I've just tried similar with the initial disc all over the place and it always produced something... May not be pretty bu it produced something. But yes, if you want full control, centre on one and use a second as a guide.

Geoff Vane
12-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Thank you for the reply. I'll go and give it a try. It's just that lightwave makes me wanna kick things really hard until they break. That goes for other programs too, but lightwave works best for that purpose.

archijam
12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
... and we have a much better place to complain about things than some other apps ;) ...

Snosrap
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Works fine here.

Cheers
Snosrap

THREEL
12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
One thing you do have to do is make sure that you run Rail Extrude from the head of the Spline to the tail. I've, also, had problems with it in the past, and usually that's what the problem was.

Also, make sure that the poly that you're trying to RR is where you want it and facing in the opposite direction of your spline to run the added geometry in the right direction.

Except for bridging and mirroring, I constructed all of the facemask in this render using Rail Extrude. It would have been more difficult to do this without it.

Hope this helps! :)

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

THREEL
12-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Darn 5 minute editing limit. Here's the render that I wanted to show you.