PDA

View Full Version : B/W, Color

SteelPicR
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a DVCam deck with fierwire hooked up. I also am coming out of the deck s-video into the BOB...that was the way I viewed that deck sourse in previous versions of VT5. Now I get black and white on odd number s-video inputs of the BOB. Even number inputs give full color. Anyone know what could cause this? Thanks.

CreatvGnius
12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
You might have to provide a little more info about your setup, Steel -- e.g.,
1. Is your DVCam deck on the one hand, feeding your system via the Firewire card successfully (VT is recognizing your deck)?

2. Is that very same DVCam deck on the other hand, feeding your VT[5] system via an S-Video connection on an SX-8 or SX-84 Breakout Box with any *other* input device? (e.g., utilizing Component video input to any of the rows?)

3. Just wondering, although probably not critical to your issue, Is the PREFERENCES > AUDIO/VIDEO SIGNAL > OUTPUT MODE set to Y/C (assuming you're not going COMPONENT OUT from the SX BOB to any destination device)?

4. Also, tell us, precisely *where* are you finding Black and White (B/W) video on odd number S-Video Inputs of the SX8/84? (i.e., on an onscreen VT-Vision monitor?)

5. Is that B/W video also seen on an externally-connected television monitor?
Is that B/W video issue also visible on a TV monitor connected to an Output from the SX BOB?

Just a thought: Have you tried swapping that cable with another Y/C cable (just in case it's not a dependable one, and just happened to have given you that black & white signal on every other input by coincidence)?

Indeed I find that an oddity... I sure hope our jogging your mind in this way causes you to nail this thing, and fast! Let us know?

One other thing: You might simply make sure the Serial Cables that are on the rear of the VT card are snuggly attached, and that the other end of them is snuggly attached to your SX-8[4].
-PeterG

SteelPicR
12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
You might have to provide a little more info about your setup, Steel -- e.g.,
1. Is your DVCam deck on the one hand, feeding your system via the Firewire card successfully (VT is recognizing your deck)?

Yes the deck is being recognized by VT5.

2. Is that very same DVCam deck on the other hand, feeding your VT[5] system via an S-Video connection on an SX-8 or SX-84 Breakout Box with any *other* input device? (e.g., utilizing Component video input to any of the rows?)

Yes the deck is also connected via s-video to the SX-8 but currently I have no other devices connected.

3. Just wondering, although probably not critical to your issue, Is the PREFERENCES > AUDIO/VIDEO SIGNAL > OUTPUT MODE set to Y/C (assuming you're not going COMPONENT OUT from the SX BOB to any destination device)?

That's correct...mode set to Y/C.

4. Also, tell us, precisely *where* are you finding Black and White (B/W) video on odd number S-Video Inputs of the SX8/84? (i.e., on an onscreen VT-Vision monitor?)

I'm seeing it on the VT Vision and my external monitor as well.

5. Is that B/W video also seen on an externally-connected television monitor?
Is that B/W video issue also visible on a TV monitor connected to an Output from the SX BOB?

I'm just feeding my production monitor from BOB.

Just a thought: Have you tried swapping that cable with another Y/C cable (just in case it's not a dependable one, and just happened to have given you that black & white signal on every other input by coincidence)?

Haven't swapped the cable yet but will try that as well. I have switched that same cable from odd and even s-video inputs on BOB multiple times with the exact same results.

Indeed I find that an oddity... I sure hope our jogging your mind in this way causes you to nail this thing, and fast! Let us know?

One other thing: You might simply make sure the Serial Cables that are on the rear of the VT card are snuggly attached, and that the other end of them is snuggly attached to your SX-8[4].
-PeterG

Thanks

SteelPicR
12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Well, posting inside the quote didn't work very well. Sorry guys...please read my answers in between the numbers.

CreatvGnius
12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
...Yes the [Firewire connection from the] deck is being recognized by VT5.

Yes the [same] deck is also connected via s-video to the SX-8 but currently I have no other devices connected.

That's correct...[PREFERENCES Audio/Video Output Mode is] set to Y/C.

I'm seeing [the black & white-only output] on the VT Vision and my external monitor as well.

I'm just feeding my production monitor from BOB.

Haven't swapped the [Y/C input] cable yet but will try that as well. I have switched that same cable from odd and even s-video inputs on BOB multiple times with the exact same results.

Thanks

You're welcome, but sorry you're still yanked for now. Meanwhile, I sort of fixed your recent REPLY -- well, sort of ... :hey:

You know, Steel -- I'm getting the feeling the trouble has to do with your new installation, and not some hardware issue, per se.

Hopefully you made that a totally fresh install (ultimately with a new Windows installation -- although not absolutely necessary).

To further work at ruling out what the problem is *not*, finish your tests as noted above -- swapping out, jiggling cable(s) -- and then try running AUTO CALIBRATE, if you haven't yet...

Keep us informed on your findings, guy.
-PeterG

SteelPicR
12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I've changed the s-video cable and checked the connections...still no change. Black and white on inputs 1, 3, 5... and color on 2, 4, 6... Very strange! Maybe someone from NT can offer up something...hint, hint, John.:)

Paul Lara
12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Maybe someone from NT can offer up something

Have you contacted the friendly folks in NewTek Tech support?

SteelPicR
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Paul, Thanks for the response. I'm shutting down for a few days for Christmas but I will call them and work this out.

Thanks...