PDA

View Full Version : NewTek releases free live virtual set authoring tool

Paul Lara
12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
NewTek is very proud of its LiveSet™ real-time virtual set technology and has been working hard to put all that creative capability in your hands. We’re excited to announce that LiveSet Generator™ for LightWaveŽ is now available as a free download on the registration server for all registered owners of LightWave 9, TriCaster STUDIO™ and VT[5]™.

This plug-in compiles real-time virtual sets for use TriCaster STUDIO and VT[5] live productions.

Once you have established a registration account at http://register.newtek.com/ you can log in and click ‘My Downloads’ at the top to access this powerful plug-in in the LiveSet Generator section.

This LightWave9.3.1 (Win 32-bit) plug-in allows you to author your own photo-realistic virtual sets, with multiple camera angles and focal lengths, as well as real-time scaling of on-screen video sources, real-time reflections and much more. All the incredible power of LiveSet is now at your command.

Read more in today’s news release here:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/12-12-07a.html

If you wish to network with other authors, you can go to the NewTek LiveSet discussion forum here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244

Your friends at NewTek

cresshead
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
additional note: you need to use lightwave 9.31 to install it.

...downloading 9.31 now...200+ mb...

calilifestyle
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
um so lol whats is any examples. is this just like a bunch of presets. and does it have to be 9.3.1 or can i use 9.3 i really dont feel like updating to x.x.1 rev.

cresshead
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
well i've installed it and still not 'quite' sure exactly how to use it or what it's uesd for...

i thought it was going to be like discreet frost* a 3d live environment that cameras and actors in a blue screen could be matched into for a live virtual set...and it 'sorta' is...i say sort of as the pdf is incredibly skimpy in just 'what' this is actually doing...it from what i've read needs you to render out each angle from the camera...so no moving cameras i think and only works with VT5 and tricaster...for live broadcast...

i have speed edit [based on VT5] and would like to think that maybe i could use this on recorded productions maybe..as we're producing a sci fi show and we are making virtual sets over in 3dsmax and lightwave for keying actors against... [ www.venusrises.com ]

Hmm...seems there's some new special surfaces to drop video onto forplacing in the sets...not absolutly sure what format you render to to use these...a quick f9 only gave a colour and alpha channel...no special buffers...but maybe
i need to set up the renderer differently...??

i know i'm probably making myself look real thick but i just don't 'get it' from the limited text online and the 12 page pdf...

prospector
12-12-2007, 03:59 PM
So there's no 'how to use' vid tut anywhere?

cresshead
12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
okay just noticed there's a live set format in the render globals animation list...though not in the single image list..so the special buffers but be in there...the options button for that format brings up nothing so it's a preset thing.

now...if the liveset formatt was available for speed edit...i maybe could find a use for this on our RECORDED show...:D

...:newtek:

cresshead
12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
a quick screen grab of a set...

this is from perspective view...to show the multi cameras...

Silkrooster
12-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Sounds like this maybe kind of cool to play with. Not sure if I would have a use for it now, but who knows maybe one day....
Silk

dweinkauf
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure I have a use for it yet, but I was interested in checking out the tutorial listed in the pdf file. I loaded 9.3.1 then the construction kit, set my content directory for the "LiveSet_Tutorial_Content" folder and tried to load the "Video-Surface-Object.lwo" object. Everytime I tried this, I got this error message..... "No plug-in of type texture handler found with name Live Set Surface. Would you like to load it from disk?" Huh? By the way, the same thing happened in both my 32-bit and 64-bit versions of LW. Does anyone have a clue why I'm getting this message?

stargatesg1
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
SO far I love this! Finally live compositing for my actors. One less step from use of sets. This will make things soooo much easier for some things.
Now if i can only get foreground and background comps out of vue easily.
I want only some trees in front cut out. Then stick them into LW add stuff and then render out a Virtual set.
So far this is a blast!
CJ

cresshead
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
just so everyone is FULLY aware you need:-

lightwave 9.3.1
tricaster or Vt boad with a switched

having just lightwave is not going to get you anywhere except making sets for people who do have a tricaster or VT board and switcher and give/sell them your sets...

just so your clear!

JamesCurtis
12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
It would be nice if it could be used for other systems instead of just the VT or Tri-Caster. But I suppose that is why this is free to registered owners of LW.

I do have a friend who has one - maybe I can sell my services to him with it!

DiscreetFX
12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
DiscreetFX is working on new products supporting this cool new NewTek tech.

:)

andrew_y
12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
There is some serious talent in the LW community, and I can't wait to see what comes of it using this technology :thumbsup:

cresshead
12-21-2007, 09:53 AM
here's the demo video showing off the live set's...

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/video/TCStudiodemo.wmv

calilifestyle
12-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Whos the girl....

Paul Lara
12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
That would be Kiki Stockhammer (http://www.warp11.com/kikistockhammer.htm)

mav3rick
12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
kiki rocks :) she had trouble with troath..... i will stop commenting now since i could say lotza umm well :) ok nice video.........

goodrichm
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I installed this Live Set Generator plugin on my PC with LW9.3.1 and VT5, but it didn't install any plugins; only content.

I tried loading the included tutorial scenes, but LW said it couldn't find plugin types:

TextureHandler: Live Set Surface
AnimSaverHandler: Live Set Generator

In the included docs, it says there should be "LiveSet Generator" listed in LW's Master Plugins window under the "Add Layout or Scene Master" drop down list, but it's not there.

I searched on the PC for Live*.* and it only found content type files, but no plugin types.

Maybe the plugin installer is getting mixed up since I have LW8.5, LW9.0, LW9.2, and LW9.3.1 installed. However, the plugin's LiveSet content did install in the LW9.3.1 directory though.

Please can anyone help me out here?

MG

cresshead
12-22-2007, 06:47 AM
there's a live set forum here

http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

stargatesg1
12-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Odd i too had to look around.. i found mine in lw 9.0 folder rather then in my 9.3 folder.

goodrichm
12-22-2007, 12:18 PM
John Perkins on another thread gave me the names of the plugins. They were installed in the correct LW9.3.1 plugin folder, but I had no idea what they were called. I was looking for something called "LiveSet...". The docs don't say what the plugins are called.

The two plugins are named:
magicsurface.p
vsfxsaver.p

Recommend the plugin docs be updated to indicate the name of the plugins that get installed by the installer.

Everything working now.

Happy holidays...MG

IMI
12-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I really wish they'd stop doing that. They need to name the menu entries the same thing they name the plugin itself, and if they don't like the name of the plugin.p file, rename it to what they want it to be in the menu.
There have been alot of examples of that over the years, and it's really annoying. :thumbsdow

jburford
12-23-2007, 03:54 AM
Would love to have this to play with, but understand as a LW 9.X user alone, are not able to get this... only if one is also a VT 4/5 User or such...

Correct?

cresshead
12-23-2007, 03:57 AM
you can 'make sets' for people who have vt5 or tricaster but no you can't use them with say speed edit for example which was free with your upgrade or with combustion, shake, final cut pro or after effects which is a shame and maybe a missed opportunuity newtek should look into.
not for LIVE stuff but for making cg sets for recorded shows