PDA

View Full Version : 3D scan

Geoff Vane
12-12-2007, 03:47 AM
I want to scan objects in 3D and animate them with lightwave.

Do you know which 3D scanner will give useable objects?

(not mega expensive and no crappy pointclouds with holes in them)

:ohmy:

HugeMonkey5
04-19-2017, 09:18 AM
What quality do you need. Because cheap scanners provides bad detalisation, and actually there's no big difference between for example scanning with kinect sensor or 3d systems Sense handheld scanner. So if low quality is enough you can use kinect. There' are different software for it, but I would recommend Artec Studio trial version.
But if you need quality you should take a look at more expensive scanners, Artec 3d company has very good ones. Here (https://www.artec3d.com/3d-models) you can see scan examples.

Lewis
04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
No 3D scanner will give you "animatable" model. It's going to be dense mesh with some glitches and it's reccomended to do retopology on that before trying to animate it.

rustythe1
04-19-2017, 11:02 AM
cheapest one you can use is 123d catch, all you need is a camera, it will give you just as good as a cheap scanner and if the images are good enough not much fixing work, and you can chose how dense the mesh is,

ConjureBunny
04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm doing this right now!!

In the past, I've spent way too much time obsessing over getting my models *just right*.

Screw that!

I'm going to photogrammetry the snot out of some toys, reduce them to a decent poly count, and then model over them.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
04-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Getting closer!

Ma3rk
04-19-2017, 01:46 PM
You might want to check out Phil Nolan's vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6eqW6yk50k

Not sure if all of the tools mentioned are still available, but probably still worth checking out.

Greenlaw
04-19-2017, 02:35 PM
I agree with Lewis. The few 'home brew' 3D scanning experiments I've done resulted in okay models with completely arbitraty polygon flow--not at all ideal for rigging and animation.

If you want a model you can animate decently, you'll want to retopolgize the scanned objects in a program like 3D Coat or ZBrush. Some scanners will capture textures too, which you'll have to re-project/re-bake. IMO, if you're going to also use 3DC or ZB, you may as well photograph high-res textures of the subject separately and paint them directly on the retopologized mesh. It'll look a lot better than a low-res RGB image from, say, a Kinect sensor.

This might sound like a lot of work but with thoughtful planning, I think you can come up with a good workflow for this.

Danner
04-19-2017, 05:44 PM
cheapest one you can use is 123d catch, all you need is a camera, it will give you just as good as a cheap scanner and if the images are good enough not much fixing work, and you can chose how dense the mesh is,

123d catch closed. The people who invested a lot of time learning, teaching and making things with it are pretty mad.

ConjureBunny
04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
123d catch closed. The people who invested a lot of time learning, teaching and making things with it are pretty mad.

HOLY CRAP. Seriously??

rustythe1
04-20-2017, 04:13 AM
yea, just seen, looks like autodesk decided to monetise it, its been integrated into the pro version of remake, so expensive yearly subscription for that now!

Norka
04-20-2017, 05:21 AM
... If you want a model you can animate decently, you'll want to retopolgize the scanned objects in a program like 3D Coat or ZBrush...

Um, maybe this slipped beneath your radar, but Steve Hurley (a.k.a Hurleyworks -- UP, Advanced Placement, etc) makes a wonderful retopo LW plug called LWRemodeler...

Greenlaw
04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
I generally prefer working in 3D Coat for retopology because LW Remodeler can't retopolgize over multiple parts at once (3DC gets around this by voxelizing everything). But you're right, if the scan is a single watertight object, LW Remodeler should work fine with it.

Re: low-cost 3D scanning software, it's been several years but I've used ReconstructMe (http://reconstructme.net) and Skanect (http://skanect.occipital.com/). From what I recall, I got better results with RM but it didn't support color textures at that time. Skanect does both mesh and texture, but I notice that RM now supports color too. I haven't used either in a long time and that was with the old Kinect for Windows sensor, not Kinect One (v2) so maybe the quality has improved.

I've also used one that used a regular digital still camera. That one actually produced nice results but it had a really tedious masking process. Ugh...sorry, can't think of the name of that one but it's probably still on my home workstation. Will check in a minute.

Greenlaw
04-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Found it: it was called AGI Soft PhotoScan (http://www.agisoft.com). The advantage with it was that you could use high-res photos for better quality and resolution, and you weren't limited to a small scan space like with Kinect. Disadvantage: It took a whole lot more work to setup, and had an annoying masking process.

I remember being a little frustrating that I couldn't directly use an HD video camera with this software to generate the data it needed. That seemed like a no-brainer at the time so maybe it does now?

I don't know. I kinda abandoned my 3D scanning experiments a long time ago so I'm not sure what's current these days.

If anybody here has more current info, please post. Thanks!

ianr
04-20-2017, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Greenlaw;1504701]I generally prefer working in 3D Coat for retopology because LW Remodeler can't retopolgize over multiple parts at once (3DC gets around this by voxelizing everything). But you're right, if the scan is a single watertight object, LW Remodeler should work fine with it.

Dear Greenlaw, You have the Gravitas, couldn't ask Mr.Hurley to update

ReModeler, to total voxeliziation, after he emerges from of his 'Splashy' period?

jeric_synergy
04-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Found it: it was called AGI Soft PhotoScan (http://www.agisoft.com). The advantage with it was that you could use high-res photos for better quality and resolution, and you weren't limited to a small scan space like with Kinect. Disadvantage: It took a whole lot more work to setup, and had an annoying masking process.

I remember being a little frustrating that I couldn't directly use an HD video camera with this software to generate the data it needed. That seemed like a no-brainer at the time so maybe it does now?

::clicka clicka clicka:: DAYUMMM, $3500 for the professional version???? $179 for 'standard'?? smh, that's quite a differential.

Greenlaw
04-20-2017, 11:41 AM
I went for the standard version. No surprise. :)

BTW, I didn't abandon 3D scanning because I thought it was a waste of time or anything like that. I just got too busy at work and other personal projects took priority. I'm still very interested in this stuff.

Norka
04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Geoff has been using LW for twenty years, and still considers himself the worst 3D artist ever, so maybe 3DCoat or ZB is not for him. I really think he (maybe more than anyone else) should pick up LWRemodeler if simple remeshing is all he needs. And it's a mere $58.

jeric_synergy
04-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Geoff has been using LW for twenty years, and still considers himself the worst 3D artist ever, .....
Psshhh, he'll not take that title from ME. :cry:

Greenlaw
04-21-2017, 02:28 PM
I looked into the current state of some of the tools I mentioned.

Skanect and ReconstructMe still work with the old Kinect for XBox and Kinect for Windows (the latter is necessary for Near Mode for small object scanning,) but neither will work with Kinect One (aka, v2.) So I don't expect the mesh quality has gotten much better from when I last tried these programs a few years ago.

That's disappointing because Kinect One has much higher resolution and significantly cleaner depth data than the original devices. I'm not sure if Kinect One supports Near Model though. Will look into which scanning programs support it.

Greenlaw
04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Quick followup:

Apparently, the Kinect One SDK allows you to create an .stl from raw data. I don't know if this means it comes with a 'demo' program already built that does this, or just that the SDK supports this capability. TBD.

Also, there appears to be a few cheap and free apps for Windows 10 that support 3D scanning with Kinect One. Time permitting, I'll check some of those out this weekend and report back.

Greenlaw
04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
In case anybody else wants to try, here are links for the Kinect One (v2) 3D Scanning apps I've found so far. Both are free:

3D Builder
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/3d-builder/9wzdncrfj3t6)
3D Scan (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/3d-scan/9nblggh68pmc)

A how-to video for 3D Builder can be seen here:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/3D-Printing/3D-Builder-Tutorial-Part-5-3D-Scanning-with-Kinect-V2

Textures seem to be just projection mapped, so still better to do it manually I guess.