PDA

View Full Version : I picked up a pencil after 35 years....

Snosrap
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
35 years ago I took art in high school. With carpel tunnel syndrome from over use of the computer I decided to draw again. These are my first efforts. Lots of improvement needed, but I'm excited to be drawing again after all these years.

Cheers
Snosrap

THREEL
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Very nicely done, Tim. Do I know any of these people?

Marcus looks a little like our buddy, Steve F.

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

AL

meshpig
12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Carpel Tunnel is weird hey? I had it temporarily and it went away; but because it's a syndrome and not a disease it's hard to pin it to the computer per se.

-Nothing is going to make me go back to drawing by hand... I have a genetic eye disease and am currently running on less than %6 field of central vision.

Computers are good for your eyes anyway ( using them ) and I can't draw without them.

As for hands, you can't overlook eye/hand coordination as a way of keeping both healthy and functioning.

m

archijam
12-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I like the drawing of Joe. Very nice mood and expression. :)

bluerider
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Cool job on the the portraits, very nicely shaded

bobakabob
12-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Very nice, they have a lot of movement and vitality about them :)

Hopper
12-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Wow! After 35 years and THAT's what you can do? I don't think missing the practice did much harm. I think it would take the full 35 years for me to draw just one of those portraits.

Excellent work!

<mutters under his breath>
Right brained freaks... :D

Snosrap
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm really enjoying it. It's really nice to be able to create a finished piece in such a short amount of time compared to what I'm able to produce from LW in the same timeframe. I think working professionally in 3D for the last 10 years has really been a benefit and has really helped particularly in the area of shading. I would encourage everyone to give it a go.

Thanks
Snosrap

Matt
12-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Cool work, and after 35 years too!

Why not combine both skills and grab yourself a Wacom tablet and a copy of ArtRage (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html)

;)

nub
12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Suh-wheet!
Great job there Timmer!

I picked up a pencil the other day, but nearly lost an eye so I put it back down.

jnddepew
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
It's really nice to be able to create a finished piece in such a short amount of time compared to what I'm able to produce from LW in the same timeframe.

2d is easier to draw, 3d is easier to animate.

VERY good pictures, by the way.

Snosrap
12-15-2007, 10:33 PM
2d is easier to draw, 3d is easier to animate.

Isn't that the truth.:thumbsup:

Snosrap

jimiclaybrooks
12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Tim,
Do you use a mouse or do yu have a tablet, i.e., Wacom. Personally, if I use a mouse for more than a day, my wrist and arm starts to hurt. BUTTTTTT, if I use my tablet and pen, I can work a 20 hr. day and never feel anything but sleepy. Just a thought, but if you aren't using a pen and tablet, I'd look into getting one. and great work by the way. I know the joy of pencil and paper too, its great!

Joe Battle
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Great drawings for so much time away from the pencil. Portraits are the hardest to do and generally require constant practice to keep one's "hand in".
It goes to show that basic drawing is the source of our craft after all.

Snosrap
12-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Tim,
Do you use a mouse or do yu have a tablet, i.e., Wacom.

Yeah that was the first thing I did when I started having trouble was get a Wacom Intuos3. I use it all the time for painting and general use. However with LW, I'm way more productive with a mouse and the mini sliders - among other operations - work better using a mouse, for me anyway.

Cheers
Snosrap