PDA

View Full Version : Wattage Calc

NVentive
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Oi Vey!
I can't believe I've forgotten how to do this -- I was an L/D for most of the eighties, I used to do this in my sleep.....
We've got a trade show coming up, well be taking a TriCaster Studio, a VT[5], and probably our SpeedEd as well. That will mean 5 LCD monitors. We'll have a 30-something inch HD LCD, a standard 16" Sony CRT, and two cool light fixtures with four 55 watt tubes each.
Okay -- I'm 440 watts just on light (that was the easy part). Any ideas of the total wattage I need to order for this booth?

thanks -S

PIZAZZ
12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Oi Vey!
I can't believe I've forgotten how to do this -- I was an L/D for most of the eighties, I used to do this in my sleep.....
We've got a trade show coming up, well be taking a TriCaster Studio, a VT[5], and probably our SpeedEd as well. That will mean 5 LCD monitors. We'll have a 30-something inch HD LCD, a standard 16" Sony CRT, and two cool light fixtures with four 55 watt tubes each.
Okay -- I'm 440 watts just on light (that was the easy part). Any ideas of the total wattage I need to order for this booth?

thanks -S

We have ran that with a single 20amp service. Make sure you bring battery backup ups just in case you trip a breaker. Also ask the show management how hard it would be to get a second circuit if everything goes to the dogs. If your are in a place that drops power then there should be another circuit within a reasonable distance.

One way to test your load is just hook everything up at your office to a 15amp power strip. If it trips then get 2 circuits. Hopefully they don't cost $450 a day like in vegas.

NVentive
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Jef --

What threw me on this one is that the hall is listing their power options in watts instead of amps. A basic drop is 500 watts for $65.00, the next up is a 1K for 75,
etc. Some of our stuff is rated in watts, some in amps, and I have not used 'the formula' in a while. Apparently, parts of me have atrophied....
'Enjoyed meeting you the other day -- all the best -S

PIZAZZ
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh then that is easy to figure.

The number I teach my guys that I was taught long ago is

100 watts is roughly 1 amp.

Keep in mind that a computer may have a 600 watt power supply but it rarely ever pulls 1/2 that in power.

Do the strip test and make sure you have battery backups.

bbeanan
12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Watts / Voltage = Amps...

Amps X Voltage = Watts

For voltage use 115 volts for the USA (it will range between 109v to 122v

Then always take your resulting number and multiply it by 1.1 (adding 10%) or if it is a really huge show like CES multiply it by 1.2 (adding 20%) since the bigger shows sometimes end up pulling power from far away thus increasing your draw.

NVentive
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Slowly, slowly, it is all coming back....
I can't believe I was drawing such a blank. I used to figure that all the time, and I've never done drugs, so where did it go?

The power strip test is a great idea -- thanks guys

Lee U
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Believe me, memory is the second thing to go :) and in this case upgrading your memory ain't gonna work.

wvp
12-13-2007, 07:20 AM
You could buy one these gizmos - plug each item in and see what it tells ya...
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=5382&sk=KILLAWATT&cm_mmc=Email-_-Catalog%20Announcement-_-C746%20Killawatt-_-Cell_11_Killawatt