PDA

View Full Version : It's the little things about LW that I love...

Ratboy
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm working on a pile of small vehicle, mech & building renders for my client's online strategy game, and I'm going through all the models I built previously and making destroyed versions of them. It's a low budget job, so I've got to churn out ten or more of these busted up babies a day.

My favorite feature right now? The ability to select ALL the textures on the model and apply the same scorchy fractal damage noise corrosion image map to their diffuse channels at the same time. I just wish I'd though of it last week...

Darth Mole
12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Wow! It's one of those posts that doesn't talk about LW being broken/bugged/doomed/sold.

I'd heard they existed, but never dreamed I'd see one for real...

DogBoy
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
It's a sign of the end times, I tell ya!

Titus
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Watching the last videos from Proton I'm discovering a completely new LW.

Dirk
12-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Yah, but (insert any 3D Application other than LW here) can do that so much better with (insert totally over-the-top function name here), You know....
:tongue: :D :tongue: :D

colkai
12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
:D
As Titus said though, Proton is opening my eyes up to things that leave me thinking "well, gosh darn it..wish I'd know that earlier". :)

Nodes are slowly being opened up to me and call me sad, but it's pretty exciting. :p

IMI
12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, good. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's feeling excited about LW again because of Proton's new videos. For a bit there I thought I was weird or something. Then again, maybe you guys are weird too. Hmm, how would I know?
Oh well, it's all good. :D

Andyjaggy
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Where are these proton vids I keep hearing about?

IMI
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Where are these proton vids I keep hearing about?

They're all over the place in the Tips and Tricks forum here. Pretty much every thread started by William Vaughn on the top three pages in that forum contains a new video. High quality stuff it is. :thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Andyjaggy
12-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Now I remember. For some reason I can't view them on my machine at work. that's why I haven't been watching them.

Andyjaggy
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Is there a comprehensive list of all the vids? So I don't have to go in to every post in the tips and tricks section?

Like a simple html page with an index of all the videos.......................

IMI
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
That's a bummer. Watch them at home then? They really are quite good, and even ingenious.

IMI
12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Not that I've seen, not yet. Someone probably will once he's done. he seems to be on a roll at the moment. ;)

Andyjaggy
12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
If I boot into mac on my machine here at work I can see them. For some reason I can't access them on the windows side of things. Strange.

Twisted_Pixel
12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Lists all his vids to date, it's stickied to the top of the Tips & Tricks forum.

IMI
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
If I boot into mac on my machine here at work I can see them. For some reason I can't access them on the windows side of things. Strange.

Outdated Quick Time player, maybe? Wrong codec? I don't know, but he might be using the techsmith codec.

Andyjaggy
12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
No it's something with the Newtek FTP site. I can't download any of the LW updates either.

IMI
12-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Someone else in one of those threads had a similar problem, I seem to remember reading.

Andyjaggy
12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Funny. I can't even download them on the mac side now.

Someone want to zip them all up and post them on their ftp site :D Pretty please :D

Or I just need to get internet at home.

Andyjaggy
12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Just tried it in IE instead of Firefox and it works fine.

IMI
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
That's strange, I use Firefox and don't have any problems downloading anything. If anything, it's IE that causes problems, though I practically never use it anymore.
Oh well, it's good that you managed to get at the stuff - it's highly worth it. :)

colkai
12-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Likewise, Firefox is my "main" browser.
I do have download manager tweak and a couple of other extensions added, never had any probs downloading.
I'd recommend that and 'downlaod statusbar' plus "unplug" too - very very handy.

Cageman
12-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow! It's one of those posts that doesn't talk about LW being broken/bugged/doomed/sold.

I'd heard they existed, but never dreamed I'd see one for real...

Maybe you should visit the Tips & Tricks section here at NT... Proton is litterally throwing out videos on daily basis; many gems to be found. I and some others have contributed lately to the stack of tutorials, but Proton is a machine... :)

EDIT: Hehe... so many posts in this hinting to the Tips and Tricks section... and I thought I was the first... maybe I should read the whole thread before posting a reply? ;)