PDA

View Full Version : motion mixer: relative moves?

jnddepew
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Is there any way to make moves in the motion mixer not in the same place, but relative to where they are now?

(if you have an object moving forward a meter and save it as a motion in the motion editor, instead of moving forward, returning to the previous place and moving forward again, can you get it to just keep moving forward?)

the reason I want to do this is to make a walk cycle so that my characters can just keep walking across a (very large) set without me having to animate them the whole way, which would take a very long time.

thanks.

manproof
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that Motion Mixer can do exactly what you are talking about. You could build your walk cycle without propelling your character forward and save that as a motion. If you loop that in Motion Mixer with a post behavior, and then attach your character to a null, you should be able to achieve the same effect by animating the null’s position.

There may be a more sophisticated way to do this with some scripting (ex: find difference x between character’s current and start position… then use this to play walk loop x/y times) but it’s well beyond what I know how to do.

Good luck.

evenflcw
12-12-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm definatly no MotionMixer genius but ...

To continue directly from where the same motion left off (repeat), just rightclick and add a OffsetRepeat post behavior. Drag that out for as long as you want.

To continue from where another motion left off, just open the offset editor, select the previous motion and set the Offset Type to Relative.

SplineGod
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
This can also be done easily in the graph editor.

evenflcw
12-12-2007, 01:12 AM
To continue from where another motion left off, just open the offset editor, select the previous motion and set the Offset Type to Relative.

Offset Type Custom/CHAR seems to be what you'd want to set on the characters master (the one you use to move and orient the whole character).

jnddepew
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
i tried the offset, and it works well, except for one problem, the legs of my character rotate, so with every consecutive step they rotate further down until they are going through the ground, is there any way to make it not relativize the rotation?