PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Keyboards Pain in my....

TrollKing
12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Okay so I have one of the new Apple keyboards, the problem is that Apple's little set up for all the function keys is bypassing all the applications use for the function keys. I tried going through Lightwave and just changing those commands to Ctrl-F2 or 9 or whatever but it still isn't doing anything.

Has anyone figured out how to bypass this problem?

I really like using F9 to render.

TrollKing
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
nvm... they Apple updated the Keyboard software with a bypass. I am dumb. Cheers

Mr Maze
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
You can also change the settings for it in the system prefs panel.

IgnusFast
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I love the new keyboards, so much I have four of them (even on my PC).

That is, I loved them until this winter, when they started shocking the CRAP outta me!

Damned static electricity. :)

Chilton
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone that needs a replacement keyboard is welcome to mail their new aluminum keyboard to me, and I will gladly send you back an Authentic 'Original iMac-era' Keyboard.

-Chilton

kopperdrake
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
C'mon - why would you want a new aluminium keyboard over the old white keyboard! What're you gonna catch your biscuit crumbs in with the new-fangled aluminium keyboards? Or your eyelashes, or naval fluff...or the dog. With the old keyboards you don't even need a coffee mug, just boil the kettle, sprinkle a few granules over the keys -a dash of sugar and add the water. Tasty.

Chilton
12-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Kopperdrake,

C'mon - why would you want a new aluminium keyboard over the old white keyboard! What're you gonna catch your biscuit crumbs in with the new-fangled aluminium keyboards? Or your eyelashes, or naval fluff...or the dog. With the old keyboards you don't even need a coffee mug, just boil the kettle, sprinkle a few granules over the keys -a dash of sugar and add the water. Tasty.

The first white keyboard like that I owned, I lost to an unfortunate Dr Pepper accident a few hours after taking it out of its box. It was the last bit of Dr Pepper I had on hand. I'm not sure which I missed more, the keyboard, or the drink.

Come to think of it, I bought more Dr Pepper, so I guess I have my answer...

-Chilton

cresshead
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
i'd like to see a sinclair spectrum rubber squidgy key version for mac!
...in the 80's they knew how to make cool keys!

kopperdrake
12-11-2007, 04:23 PM
What a waste of Dr Pepper! I remember an incident where I bricked two keyboards with one cup of coffee, that was a sad (and expensive) day.

Spectrum keyboard :D It was like pushing dead flies through a fine mesh, and as responsive! Mind you, my old ZX81 used to have blu-tac stuck to the keys so my fingers wouldn't slip around when playing games. Now *there* was a keyboard that would've survived ummpteen cups of coffee or Dr Peppers :thumbsup:

BazC
12-12-2007, 02:29 AM
I've heard (but never tried it) that keyboards, being fairly primitive devices (just wires and simple switches) won't suffer any harm by getting wet, the article recommended cleaning a dirty keyboard by putting it in the dishwasher!

So any spilled drinks accidents may be recoverable, just give the keyboard a thorough wash and leave it to dry for a few days. It might still be OK!

kopperdrake
12-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Ah yes - I've heard that too but my deceased Apple keyboard had a teeny circuit in it.

Captain Obvious
12-12-2007, 05:09 AM
The new alu keyboard is brilliant. One of the best keyboards I've used. Unfortunately, it's too low when you use it with a tablet. I need to get something to raise it a bit...

Steamthrower
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Personally I find thin, flat keyboards much easier to type on. I actually prefer my MacBook Pro keyboard over normal standalone keyboards. I really don't know why; I'm sure it's not good for your wrists.

Captain Obvious
12-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Personally I find thin, flat keyboards much easier to type on. I actually prefer my MacBook Pro keyboard over normal standalone keyboards. I really don't know why; I'm sure it's not good for your wrists.
I agree, except I think they're probably better for your wrists. When it comes to ergonomics, anything that feels better for long periods of time usually IS better for you.

But with a tablet in front of the keyboard, it's just too low. I used to put it on a couple of CD cases to raise it up a bit, but it was a bit unstable.

Chilton
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I find that for typing a lot, which is an occupational hazard of mine, keyboards that require very little pressure to activate the keys are a huge blessing. I love my MBP keyboard, and my TiBook's before that. I'm not a fan of the big clicky-clacky keyboards, though I have some friends who are.

I, for one, welcome our new thin, aluminum overlords.

I can't use a tablet on a table. I have to hold it in one hand and draw with the other. I still have hope that one day I'll see an authentic, Apple-made, Tablet Mac...

-Chilton

Captain Obvious
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh, I mean a tablet as in a regular Wacom Intuos.

Chilton
12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Me too, I'm just hoping I can get a Tablet Mac some day so I can finally draw *on* the screen.

That said, Graham has a very nice Cintiq on his desk. If it weren't for all the wires, I wouldn't complain about one of those, either ;-)

-Chilton

mlinde
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Anyone that needs a replacement keyboard is welcome to mail their new aluminum keyboard to me, and I will gladly send you back an Authentic 'Original iMac-era' Keyboard.

-Chilton
I've also got a blueberry and a graphite (keyboard) if someone wants to trade :thumbsup:

ingo
12-13-2007, 02:38 AM
......I can't use a tablet on a table. I have to hold it in one hand and draw with the other....

Yeah, that shows Newteks commitment to the Mac OS, the Mac developer gets a tiny desk. ;)

Steamthrower
12-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Chilton doesn't even have a desk that I'm aware of. He has a chair and ottoman in the snack room, I think.

BeeVee
12-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Not really a chair, more a hammock really...

B

Chilton
12-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi inigo07,

Au contraire! I posted this pic of my sweet rig last year when they replaced the old Macs with new ones. They tell me I can have another new Mac next year. They refresh the line once every two years, right?

Anyway, I'm told this has some kind of x86 chip in it, I think. And yes, my office is actually the hallway as you enter the building, but it's quite inviting, and visitors often leave me food on the way by.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55693

-Chilton