PDA

View Full Version : new to clip inherit

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I am just getting started on learning SpeedEdit and do not understand clip inherit and why it is working the way it is.

Here's what going on.

I hold down alt, select a tga file (cg key)
drop it on an old cg (it says inherit on the old cg) then

it turns the CG upside down
and
does not "remember any of the setting (overlay, fade etc)

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

James

SBowie
12-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Not sure if it applies, but Inherit can be flaky if you use it with dissimilar object types. So, for example, dropping a .tga on a .cg file might not behave well.

I don't know why it would misbehave if both files are Targa's though.

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 10:19 AM
both files are exactly the same - tga files created in titlemotiom pro...

i will call tech support. i thouht i might be missing something simple.

thanks james

ted
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
James, you're not going nuts. That's what I would have expected as well. That's the reason for inherit!
Has this always worked this way for you or is it new?

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
What it is doing is when I take the new clip and drop it on the old clip (with holding the alt key) it turns the clip upside down and inverts it! And it does not remember any of the settings.

I'll spoken to tech support and they are looking into it...

Very Strange. James

SBowie
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Could you post a couple of your sample images here for us to try this with?

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I've attached a couple of files (at least I think I did with this interface).

If not I will send them another way.

thanks for your help!!! James

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 05:17 PM
It does not accept tga files so I uploaded it at yousendit:

Here is the link for Shaune - online.TGA:
http://download.yousendit.com/C19F571D3A634A8E

Here is the link for Internet ABC.TGA:
http://download.yousendit.com/6F7A2C5164A17EA7

Here is the link for address.TGA:
http://download.yousendit.com/D0F75DF517044F11

Sorry for the extra trouble.. James

ted
12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Interesting. I tested it on my laptop and I had odd experiences.

I couldn't get them to inherit from the bin they were save in.
When I placed them on the timeline I could sometimes get them to inherit properly, not upside down. But sometimes they would inherit and just rename the file "Ted" and would show up as black.

How were these files made and saved?
I'll try them on our main edit system.

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
They were made with TitleMotion Pro and saved as a tga file 32 bit.

I've used them with many other programs without problems. Plus when I just drop them on the SE timeline they are fine...

Strange, strange, strange. James

ted
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Now I'm more confused? :D
I just loaded the files in VT5 on our main system and all 3 would inherit fine as single files and as overlays. But not on our SE laptop. I thought it could be a laptop or SE issue. So I tried inheriting .jpg files and that worked fine.

More testing needed, must go home now though since the aimals are wanting to be fed! :D
But either way, it looks like they are working in VT5 for sure.
FWIW, I don't have SE installed on the main system to test that option at this time.

jredmond108
12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Well I think it is a SE for it is doing strange things here.
I used Titlemotion with DPS Velocity and Sony Vegas NLE and never had a problem like this...

Thanks Ted for looking into it. I initially thought I was not bringing the files into SpeedEdit correctly (inherit feature).

Well to get a project done, I am bringing each tga file in one at a time and redoing each setting.

All the best, James

ted
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Until we get this resolved, you can use the Toolshed to mimic most actions. And saving as .png's is another option in the future.
Funny I'm not getting the "Flipping" you are though. And I was able to get it to work once in a while in SE and always in VT5???

John Perkins
12-13-2007, 11:11 AM
It seems that you have to be careful with your timing, so we will need to slightly rethink this workflow and fix a bug.

Note that the Alt key is now used in two ways:
1. Hold Alt, drag a frame from a TGA sequence to the timeline, release, acts like a sequence
2. Drag to the timeline, Hold Alt, then release on another clip/still to inherit.

So it sounds like you are holding Alt before dragging the file and it is triggering a bug. The bug being that we don't correctly import/inherit single frame TGAs as sequences.

Note that we can correctly inherit single frame TGAs or multi-frame TGA sequences.

Clear as mud? ;)

Thanks for pointing this out.

CreatvGnius
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
It seems that you have to be careful with your timing, so we will need to slightly rethink this workflow and fix a bug.

Note that the Alt key is now used in two ways:
1. Hold Alt, drag a frame from a TGA sequence to the timeline, release, acts like a sequence
2. Drag to the timeline, Hold Alt, then release on another clip/still to inherit.
...Clear as mud? ;)

Thanks for pointing this out.

John, your insights are indispensible! I don't know that I would've plucked that info out of any documentation, if I were looking for it! :hey:
-PeterG

ted
12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks John! I was holding Alt first. No problem on my Alienware laptop SE now. errr actually never was I guess! :tongue: Old Dogs ya know.
I'll have to re-check in VT5 but I think I did it the same way there. Not sure why I didn't have problems there???

SBowie
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't know that I would've plucked that info out of any documentation, if I were looking for it! -PeterGCertainly not from anything I'd written, because the similarity never even crossed my mind when the new feature was added. Might want to think about a different modifier key here, that's a little too fine a distinction for comfort ...