PDA

View Full Version : Whats the score on VT5? Stable?Bugs?

edmellnik
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
From what I have read, its looks like a mixed bag.
I have not installed VT5 yet. I dont want to loose
live alpha or audio for windows yet.

I would like to know what is going on in you CPU manager when you have the program open and when you are playing a clip.

I have two different machines with SpeedEdit on it and
on both machines the CPU power is getting eaten up with little or no activity. What I am hoping is VT5 edit is not going to do the same thing. If it is - they can keep VT5.

I would love to hear from you all who have already installed VT5.

Thanks
ed

kleima
12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Awesome. Very stable. Wouldn't go back for anything. I'll give more specifics later.

billmi
12-11-2007, 07:03 AM
It's been quite stable for me. If you use the keyer a bit, there will be some new workflow to get used to, as the keyer has been replaced with LiveMatte (see http://www.corin.com/vt_tutorials/lyrics_key/index.shtml) The big upside to that is you can now wipe or fade a key in, rather than just turn it on or off.

As for CPU loading, I haven't paid particular attention to it in VT[5], but on standalone SpeedEdit, running on a couple of year old dual 3GHz Xeon box, I see about 5% load when it's idling, 11-13% when it's playing SD DV, and it jumps to 17-18% when it's generating and overlaying titles. I'll have to check it in VT[5].

prospector
12-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I've seen nothing over 10% (jumps from 0-10 even with only windows running) of CPU usage at idle.
No crashes yet.

edmellnik
12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
As for CPU loading, I haven't paid particular attention to it in VT[5], but on standalone SpeedEdit, running on a couple of year old dual 3GHz Xeon box, I see about 5% load when it's idling, 11-13% when it's playing SD DV, and it jumps to 17-18% when it's generating and overlaying titles. I'll have to check it in VT[5].

WEll, if you have to have a dual 3ghz machine to run SE then most laptops and many other machines are not going to run great on it. I am using single 2.4ghz cpu boxes.

The idea of having to buy a super power box to run a $500 software is a little strange. Especially when there are programs like Vegas that do it without taxing the CPU.

billmi
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
WEll, if you have to have a dual 3ghz machine to run SE then most laptops and many other machines are not going to run great on it. I am using single 2.4ghz cpu boxes.

The idea of having to buy a super power box to run a $500 software is a little strange. Especially when there are programs like Vegas that do it without taxing the CPU.

Considering that my 2+ year old computer is loaded to less than 20% by SpeedEdit running and performing efffects, I would hardly say that means you need to have a dual 3GHz machine - it would indicate that you could get by with a machine that is 80% less powerful before you fully loaded the system.

Before my old notebook went belly up, I ran SpeedEdit on it. Didn't check the CPU loads, but it ran comfortably, and that's a four year old Pentium IV at 2.4 GHz. It didn't do DVEs between video clips in realtime (had to background render) but I suspect that was due to drive speed limitations as fade or DVE to black or a still was realtime.

edmellnik
12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Considering that my 2+ year old computer is loaded to less than 20% by SpeedEdit running and performing efffects, I would hardly say that means you need to have a dual 3GHz machine - it would indicate that you could get by with a machine that is 80% less powerful before you fully loaded the system.

I am so glad that many of you are getting better results.
I have tried two different computers, one that is a very fast 3ghz p4. and When I load SE the CPU is up to 15%.
tHEN when I try to play a DV clip the CPU jumps up to 60%.
So obviously everyone is not experiencing this.

ScorpioProd
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
It's also important to remember that just because SpeedEDIT is priced affordablly, that in no way implies you can just run it on any PC.

The whole paradigm of SpeedEDIT is quite different from Vegas or most other NLEs, in that it is giving you REAL-TIME, FULL QUALITY output ALL THE TIME while you edit. The other NLEs simply aren't made to work that way.

I love Vegas Pro 8, I use it a lot, but it is MADE to be able to work on much slower hardware than SpeedEDIT is. It is designed to lower preview quality and framerate as needed to keep the edit experience real-time.

They are both valid ways to work, each with their own advantages, but both quite different.

You shouldn't assume they will run the same on the same hardware, they can't.

kleima
12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
VT[5] pegs 2-3% at idle on the CPU on my new quad core. It uses about 300Mb of RAM (between VT[5] and RTME). I rendered about 6 hours of footage to MPEG2 (three clips) and it was finished is less than 3 hours. This would have taken 24 hours on my P4 2.8 dual XEON! A 3GHz P4 is not a fast computer anymore!
BTW, my new machine is not XEON, and not dual processor - just a single quad core!

ScorpioProd
12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
VT[5] pegs 2-3% at idle on the CPU on my new quad core. It uses about 300Mb of RAM (between VT[5] and RTME). I rendered about 6 hours of footage to MPEG2 (three clips) and it was finished is less than 3 hours. This would have taken 24 hours on my P4 2.8 dual XEON! A 3GHz P4 is not a fast computer anymore!
BTW, my new machine is not XEON, and not dual processor - just a single quad core!
Ah, your information makes me very happy, I am building a new single Quad core to replace my P4 2.8 dual Xeon with! :)

Your benchmark comes close to tests I've heard with Vegas Pro 8, they put a new single quad core at about 10 times faster than my current system. So 8-10X sounds really good to me! :thumbsup:

kleima
12-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Yep, I can play four layers (quad screen) of HD in realtime with rendering off, from a single non-raid SATA disk - no stutters.

PIZAZZ
12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Yep, I can play four layers (quad screen) of HD in realtime with rendering off, from a single non-raid SATA disk - no stutters.

Pretty cool huh?

I find that very impressive.

kleima
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
BTW, it was an eSATA drive (external).

Also, the rendering speed above was achieved by rendering 3 clips at once. Each raised the the CPU by about 28%. So, I was at just above 80% with all three. So, three took about the same time as one would have. I don't know if there is a way to make the CPU work harder on one clip to speed up the render of a single clip. However, it was pretty awesome to be able to have it chugging away at three clips while having NO slow down on the rest of my work. I had DVD-lab Pro demuxing at the same time as well as working in Word, Outlook, the browser and I think I was even doing something in Photoshop (not a very big graphic file), all at the same time in the remaining 20%! Now this is editing!:thumbsup:

Also, for the HD quad screen, I had the SPV video output at full screen!

Mark Patrick
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
BYE BYE Overpriced - low volume SCSI! I have the Quad processor and 4 gig of ram and have been tracking and working fine with a software raid of four old IDE drives with Sata converters plugged directly into the Gigabyte board.

My VT (4.6 and earlier) never ever ran right on my old Supermicro p4dce with dual xeon. On this new Quad machine, it is running so stable and good that it is scary. It is like a different program entirely. I'll bet true SATA II drives would run great. And how about Terabyte for not much over $200 each.

ScorpioProd
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
I'll definately be happy to retire my SCSI drives. They served me well, but for most things, SATA-2 should be fine. I'm gonna stripe a pair.

PIZAZZ
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
BTW the latest Terabyte drive by WD gets 70mb/s as a single drive. That is pretty cool.

CreatvGnius
12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
BTW the latest Terabyte drive by WD gets 70mb/s as a single drive. That is pretty cool.

You got the specific model number on the one you're referencing, there, J? And would that be an EIDE or SATA drive? Either way, 'sounds pretty cool, indeed!
-PeterG

PIZAZZ
12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB SATA2 16MB Hard Drive is the ones we tested with great success. I see that Seagate finally showed up with a 1 Terabyte SATA drive with 32 Megs of Cache. That should be even better. I will know in a few days once I get my drives in.

edmellnik
12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
My VT (4.6 and earlier) never ever ran right on my old Supermicro p4dce with dual xeon. On this new Quad machine, it is running so stable and good that it is scary.

What mother board are you using with the quad CPU?

Thanks
ed

Keith Gandy
12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
We have installed the VT5 on an older unit: Supermicro P4DC6+, 2.4 dual Xeons. The system has not shut down or sputtered in the first three days of hard use. We are finding this must more stable on the exact same hardware as we were using under Windows 2000 / VT4.

Under our old system setup we had difficulties running After Effects and the VT4 - after the work flow of about two hours, the system would slow to a crawl and then simply become unbearable.

Combining AE with VT5 and switching between the two has not done anything to the system. So far, I could not be more pleasantly surprised.

UnCommonGrafx
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I sure wish more 'lurkers' would respond in this thread. I, too, am looking at upgrading shortly. Or not.
A mixed bag it has been, at least as one reads. Not a question of whether it works but rather one of, "Will it give me more than it will take away (from my comfort zone)?"
I've been reading the (smaller than VT4) manual and it seems a more refined tool. Oh well, this is all moot until Christmas break as I won't be done with my present projects until then. Looking forward to more input from some 'new strangers'.

ted
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
VT5 has been an EASY transition for us. We did a complete OS install on Vista Ultimate 64 and that might have helped instead of un-installing VT4. Opening old timelines so far has gone well and we haven't had the problems some people have.

We just started playing with the new virtual sets capabilities in our spare time and are having fun with that! :thumbsup:
I can't think of any reason not to install VT5. Unless you are mid project because that's just insane. :)

I would suggest putting VT5 on a clean OS install. After doing a clean OS install on 3 different systems, we eliminated all sorts of little "issues", (not VT related), that made the time worth it.
Getting rid of all the installed/un-installed, re-installed .dll's, drivers, applications, updates, etc. might be why we're a happy camper now.

Keith Gandy
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
In that harddrives are really cheap, we took a new 160mb harddrive, partitioned it 40/120. Then we replaced our Windows 2000 / VT4 system drive with the new one. Windows XP was a fresh install with the newest NVidia drivers. By doing it this way, we had the old system disk as a fallback position, just in case VT5 prevented us from keeping our workflow. All we would have to do is simply plug the old disk back in as the master. We will keep that disk for a while until we are absolutely sure of the newest system.

So far, so good.

Scott Bates
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Like Keith, I'm running VT[5] on my dated Supermicro P4DC6+, 2.4 dual Xeon system (2GB RAM with two stripe sets, a 4-drive U160 set and a 4-drive IDE set). Although I have not had occasion to push it hard yet, it is stable and running almost as well as VT[4.6] did. The only difference I've noticed so far is that initial playback and scrolling the timeline isn't quite as smooth in VT[5], but once playback gets "up to speed" it plays back fine. I am seeing the same initial lag in starting and stopping that I and others have with SpeedEDIT standalone.

The only change in the system was uninstalling VT[4] and installing VT[5]; I did not reinstall the XP Pro operating system first.

VideoBob2000
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I've had good success with good datarates from a fairly new MB --

Gigabyte's GA-G33-DS2R has 6 RAID-able ports on the MB
I put the 400GB system drive, plus 4 Western Digital 500GB drives (WD5000ABYS - SATA2 drives) at RAID-0. Sustained read: 270MB/sec; write: 240MB/sec. Not sure how to tweak for better performance, but it seems to handle everything I've thrown at it without hiccups so far. 2TBs of drive for $520 at MWave ... of course, it would be under $500 by now.

hairudon
12-13-2007, 06:28 AM
i'm running VT5 on a Q6600, with 2gigs of DDR3, playing 1080i, editing silently in the background, and rendering models in lightwave with absolutely no hiccups, cpu peaking at around 55%
3x 250gig sata2 seagates on a hardware raid controller in raid 5 for video
and a 74 gig raptor for the OS disk

Rmarq
12-13-2007, 07:15 AM
My Dell Precision 670 with 2gb of Ram and dual 2.8Ghz Xeon which locked up on me all the time with VT4 is now rather stable and editing nicely.
I have to buy some new cables in able to run my windows audio now, but that is worth giving up for more stability.
I do a lot of CG work and the text looks better than VT4.

The 3 wheel color correction is worth the price of upgrading.

MPEG rendering is still a mystery though, the video always looks better in TMPEG. I haven't found the settings in SE that work as good.

Flash and the MP4 encoding are fast and results are good.

Overall I am very pleased with the ease of upgrading and the stability of the system.

I just wish I could lock my clips in the timelline...

ted
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I should also add, (and NewTek can confirm this), the Chroma Keying is much better.
We were playing yesterday with VT5 and where we had borderline troublesome keys, we had none with VT5. Much better on our quick testing. I'll play some more when we get time.

Thursday
12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I just wish I could lock my clips in the timelline...

Can anyone tell me if the problem of audio un-synching itself is cleared up in VT5? In VT4+? Often, when I add a dissolve, my audio (which I always keep "locked" to the video) scoots down a random number of frames.

ScorpioProd
12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
MPEG rendering is still a mystery though, the video always looks better in TMPEG. I haven't found the settings in SE that work as good.

That's why they thankfully have the TMPGEnc VTP loader available in VT[5] and SE again. :thumbsup:

Keith Gandy
12-13-2007, 11:18 PM
On the downside I have found something that I consider a bug. If a mp3 is placed in the edit line and markers are placed on the file, the only way to use those markers again are to start with the cursor at the beginning of the file.

If the cursor is placed anywhere after the absolute beginning, then the audio signal does not correspond the position of the markers. If the cursor is placed at the beginning, then the markers do correspond.

Simply rendering the mp3 to a wav file, then using inherit to place the wav into the mp3 so that the markers are still used, then everything works file - irregardless of whether the cursor starts from the beginning or later.

Keith Gandy
12-13-2007, 11:22 PM
After four hours of hard editing and simultaneous use of After Effects 7, the VT5 finally crashed. Roughly 100 clips on the timeline, one wav file. Now I will wait to see if it is reproducable.

Just for the record:
Motherboard - Supermicro P4DC6+
RAM - 2gb RDRAM
CPU - Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz
Raid - 4x SCSI 36gb
Grafic - Geforce FX 5200 with latest drivers

northerndesign
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I uninstalled VT4.6 and rebooted, then installed VT5.

New and old projects stutter and sputter to playback. Even simple timelines with one overlay barely plays without problems.

Dual 2.4 ghz Xeons
4 - scsi striped video drives
2gb of ram

Played back flawless under VT4.6 no matter what I through at it.

Good thing my laptop has Speededit because my $15,000 system is now useless with VT5.

Why is there no manual configerations for CPU and card bus under VT5 like in VT4.6?

Please help anyone!!!!

Keith Gandy
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Are you using the setup for editing purposes only, or for primarilly for live settings, or both? What audio codecs are you using in the background? Are you heavy in DVEs? When did you last defrag your scsi drives?

chribba
12-18-2007, 12:47 AM

New and old projects stutter and sputter to playback. Even simple timelines with one overlay barely plays without problems.

Dual 2.4 ghz Xeons
2gb of ram

Good thing my laptop has Speededit because my $15,000 system is now useless with VT5.

Why is there no manual configerations for CPU and card bus under VT5 like in VT4.6?

Please help anyone!!!!

Shure you have checked the prefs, and config, after you installed VT5.

chribba

CreatvGnius
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Dual 2.4 ghz Xeons
2gb of ram

Please help anyone!!!!

Frankly, I would have rather learned that you uninstalled VT completely, then reinstalled. Is that what you mean to say you did? Better still, would be the obvious: Install onto a fresh Windows OS installation.
-PeterG

donny
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
What type of clips are you playing back and what display card and OS are you using? You may also want to call into Technical Support and have them help look over the system at 210-341-8444.

northerndesign
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I am running no DVE's the most basic of clips. Nothing else is running in the background on my system. Not even my NETWORK card or virus scanner. All my drives are currently clean and defragged.

Went from VT4.6 unistalled it then installed VT5 and problems started.

Even uninstalled twice and reinstalled to check that.

I can look into preferences but there are very little things to actually change now that you can't control the type of PCI bus or your CPU's like you could in VT4.6.

My graphics card works fine in everything else and it is a GeForce4 TI 4800SE 128mb card. Windows XP Pro with all the latest updates.

Frustrating!

DiscreetFX
12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Works great for DiscreetFX, a fantastic update for VT. One thing I would like to know though is what is the recommend best display card for VT[5].

wvp
12-19-2007, 05:38 AM
...I can look into preferences but there are very little things to actually change now that you can't control the type of PCI bus or your CPU's like you could in VT4.6.
I haven't installed VT5 yet, but SpeedEdits pref panel has controls for how many layers before background rendering. I beleive these replaced the old CPU/Bus settings. Are these not in VT5?

Rich Deustachio
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
JP I have almost the same hardware set up as you have.

Dual 2.4 Xeons
6-SCSI
Supermicro MB
2 Gigs RAM
BFG 6600 Video Card with Latest drivers.

Runs good with SD clips but does seem just a bit slower responding than VT4.

donny
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes the VT5 has options for setting up BG Rendering Profiles for both the SD and HD streams. Try changing yours to Render All Video Streams or Render more than 1(ANY). As for the Video card to take advantage of some of the new features you would have to be running equivalent to higher than GeForce 5700.

Kevin Brice
12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I posted these in another thread, but they look to be more relevant here:

Downstream alpha support appears to be broken. I'm not talking about alpha when using SpeedEDIT with DSK on the switcher, either - I mean alpha support in general. I've been making name titles and other graphics in Inkscape for almost a year now, all the way back to VT[2]. I render out the titles as PNGs and then load them into a DDR. The titles looked perfect until I switched to VT[5], when the colors stopped matching. It looks like wherever I used whitish shades of translucent colors, VT drops the white part of it and makes it too dark. This appears everywhere in VT - DSK, CG, SpeedEDIT, and even the preview thumbnails in Filebin. A screenshot comparing VT[5]/SpeedEDIT VT and a VT[4] rendered AVI is attached. VT[5]'s incorrect rendering is on the left and VT[4]'s correct rendering is on the right.
CG Designer appears to overwrite random CG files from the history list when you click "Save" instead of saving in the correct file. It's done this to me every day this week. Anybody else seen this? It doesn't consistently happen, either.
I've the plugin installer twice now, but DVD Workshop refuses to recognize SpeedEDIT projects. I tried using the AVI wrapper instead and DVD Workshop hung. (the mouse pointer had the grayish washed-out hour glass next to it, which indicates to me that something to do with VT was stuck)
DDRs don't play sound immediately when they are paused and you click play or switch to them with "Cue In" enabled. Not as much of a problem since DDRs now play when they're not paused, but the DDRs still pause on the next item in the list when "Selection" is picked, meaning you either have to remember to click stop or lose sound when you switch back.
"Selection" isn't properly respected in DDRs, but *only* when the DDR is on Main and "Cue In" is enabled. When it's on Main with "Cue In" enabled, it continues to the next item in the list instead of staying on the last frame of the current item. I've had it both play the next item and freeze on the first frame of the next item (right now I can only get it to freeze on the next item). Perhaps some check for whether or not the DDR should be playing is failing due to a bug in the new behavior of "Cue In."
The VT[5] hardware driver with the old VT33 card silently crashes if you accidentally put three different live sources on the three Switcher buses. VT itself doesn't crash - it's just that VT Vision goes dark and monitors freeze on whatever frame you had been sending out before the driver crashed. While the interface still responds, VT refuses to exit cleanly when this happens.

After I posted that, I found these two other problems:

VGA no longer remembers what iVGA clients it was connected to, forcing me to manually reconnect every time I start VT. This is also more cumbersome now because I must now open the VGA module instead of just using the VGA tab on the switcher. Not a big deal, but annoying.
VT[5] will not start in any account that does not have administrator access. After a slight delay when double-clicking the icon, VT complains it can't start the driver and suggests I reboot. When I log off the limited account and use my administrator account, VT[5] starts right up. I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong, but this really bugs me, as I don't trust many of the other users to have administrative access. VT[4.6] works perfectly under limited accounts once access rights are tweaked to allow limited users to write to the VT4 folder. Any ideas?
As others have reported, SpeedEDIT lags when you press space to stop playing the timeline. Annoying for precise timing, but you can work around it.

The CG problem isn't too bad as there's a work-around (use "Save As," the way I did in VT[2] for years). The DDR problem isn't too bad, either, as I can work around it by turning off "Cue In" after the video starts playing. The worst problem by far is the downstream bug, as it makes all my titles not as nice looking. I reinstalled VT[4.6] today over top of VT[5] and was startled to see the difference when I used DSK in [4.6]... I've been using [5] so long now that I'd forgotten how it was supposed to look! The administrator problem is also really bugging me.

BTW, installing [4.6] over [5] didn't seem to cause any problems except that [4.6] can't open CG files saved in [5] and can't use [5] DVEs. For those wondering why I did that, it was because I wanted proper downstream color support in VT-Edit and because I'm not ready to upgrade the other accounts to administrator accounts. I deselected LightWave and Aura before continuing the VT[4.6] install, since they were already installed as part of VT[5].

Please don't get me wrong! I love the vast majority of the stuff in VT[5], especially the LiveSet/LiveMatte engine! It's just the little bugs that get you. :D

I still haven't gotten those bugs reported with FogBugz since the site wasn't working, but I'll try reporting them again with FogBugz soon. If it still doesn't work, I'll try e-mailing John Perkins with the list as Ted suggested.

ted
12-19-2007, 09:08 PM
A heads up in case anyone suddenly has sluggish performance. And I'm disclaiming that this may not be VT related.

Tuesday our VT5 running on Vista 64 suddenly went waaaaay sluggish. It was fine on Monday.
I thought it was a GFX driver since movement on the timeline would take forever to refresh, 5-7 seconds after letting go of the mouse.
We updated GFX drivers, rolled back windows updates, turned off everything I could find in Vista, Norton, you name it. We explored more corners of the OS then I have ever dug into.

Today while trying to finish this 30 sec spot with about 50 video .rtv's and still .png's and about 25 .png overlays, I wanted to see if turning on the icons for clips and transitions would make things worse. Like I needed to inflict more pain. :D

I turned on all icons using the window in the top right corner of the timeline. I played with the timeline and it was not worse as I expected. I then turned off all the icons like I usually edit.

Walla! My VT5 was running as smoothly as before.
I don't know why the check marks indicated icons were off, and no icons showed on the timeline, but I was just thrilled to be speeding along as normal.
This hadn't happened before, and didn't later today. But if you suddenly drop in performance, give this a try.

PS, CPU and memory didn't show abnormally high stats. The only thing I noticed was disk usage seemed high on the new resource monitor in Vista. But before Tuesday I never looked at it so I'll have to tomorrow.

All is good in Teddy's world again! :)

John Perkins
12-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Posting these to the database would definitely help us. There are so many threads on the forums that I never catch them all.

I am looking at these issues now, but if you wouldn't mind sending me one of the source PNG files that you used for overlay I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

goodrichm
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
John,

I've been trying to post to http://support.newtek.com/VT5/VT5.asp but I get an error when I select OK to submit the report. I've tried both IE6 and Firefox 2.0011.

Am I using the right link to the database you're referring to?

Thanks...MG

Kevin Brice
12-20-2007, 05:23 PM
John,

I've been trying to post to http://support.newtek.com/VT5/VT5.asp but I get an error when I select OK to submit the report. I've tried both IE6 and Firefox 2.0011.

Am I using the right link to the database you're referring to?

Thanks...MG
That's the correct link, but it doesn't work for me, either. I tried it on two different machines, one running Vista and the other running XP Pro SP2. The latest patch versions of both IE7 and Firefox 2 failed on submission. The e-mail address in the VT[5] folder doesn't work, either.

Scott Bates
12-20-2007, 07:27 PM
It's been a non-working problem for a number of us (all?) for quite awhile. I tried sending a bug report about three weeks ago and got the same result and I think I've seen the same reports a number of times in the past week or so.

John, Paul, someone.....?

John Perkins
12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
We use an internal administration page daily, but we don't normally see the result of posting to the public page.

If you ever have a problem like this, feel free to email me.

Thanks for letting us know,

Paul Lara
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Look in Preferences > SpeedEDIT and adjust the background rendering profiles.

m4a2000
12-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I just have to ask because this could mean ten hours of work was for nothing, but will VT5 run well on XP 64-bit or do I need to go back to 32-bit?

PIZAZZ
12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I just have to ask because this could mean ten hours of work was for nothing, but will VT5 run well on XP 64-bit or do I need to go back to 32-bit?

VT5 runs VERY Well on XP 64bit.

VT5 runs VERY Well on XP 32bit.

If you have more than 2 gigs of RAM installed then run x64. That said there is not a real advantage to more than 2 gigs of RAM if you are just running VT. If you also installing Photoshop, AE, or working on large AURA/LW projects then more RAM will help. Otherwise, 2 gigs of RAM will do just nicely. There is NO real advantage that we have seen with going past 2 gigs of RAM for normal VT Live/Post usage.

XP x64 might be more challenging to get other software to work with but it does indeed work very reliably with VT5.

m4a2000
12-22-2007, 11:39 AM
XP x64 might be more challenging to get other software to work with but it does indeed work very reliably with VT5.
That's a load off my mind... We run LW from time o time plus some other software to run live show through the school and out to the cable station.

sadkkf
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey! I just found this thread and am I reading this right...people are running VT5 with a SINGLE SATA drive?

I'm building a new box for myself (also a quad core) and would love to dump the array I have for one drive.

Also, any chance vt5 works with 64bit XP?

kleima
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Yep. I plan to do a 2-3 disk array eventually, but at the moment I am still running off a single 750GB SATA. I am editing almost exclusively HDV, and I usually keep BG rendering off!

sadkkf
04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
That is fing awesome. :D

Now I can dump my array and save a little power, heat and noise!

Oh, any advice on which drive? WD or Seagate?

wvp
04-26-2008, 08:34 AM
if you have the array already you will get faster (more layers) performance leaving things as they are.
If you really want to use one drive, you might at least pair up two of the drives into a Raid-1 (mirror). That way you have a backup if the drive goes south.