PDA

View Full Version : Sub-divisions

euge04
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
To get smooth crisp models do you use sub-divided models as the norm? Even when you are modeling something that has sharp edges like a chair, table or cube?

oldtekerr
12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I dont, some probably do... The only time I hit tab is if the object is going to be deformed, or if its organic...

JeffrySG
12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
euge04: you might want to look at my subpatch videos I have available for free... They cover topics like keeping edges sharp (but rounded) on LW models.

http://pixelandpoly.com/video.html

Personally, I use both methods... with subpatches and just poly modeling... all depends on the model and the work flow I'm going to use.

Andyjaggy
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
It largely depends on your object, and your personal style of modeling. Some things are much easier done with just polygons and rounding. Others with subpatches and sharpening. Best to learn both methods and figure out when to use which.

euge04
12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tutorials. Those were great. I am trying to make a chair here but I'm getting an indentation on the top. Why is this happening?

JeffrySG
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
looks like you might have some extra geometry along that side. check for extra points/edges/polys that might be doubled up by accident.

THREEL
12-12-2007, 12:52 AM
looks like you might have some extra geometry along that side. check for extra points/edges/polys that might be doubled up by accident.

I agree with Jeffry. Did you use Extrude anywhere along the way? That can leave unwanted polygons that could cause something like this. Unsubpatch the model and hide a few of the surrounding polys to see if there's a stray poly (s) inside causing the problem. If so, get rid of the unwanted geometry and then, subpatch and see if that takes care of it. If not, unsubpatch and see if there is more than one point sharing the same space. If so, try merging points. If that doesn't work, try selecting the points that overlap and do a weld average.

I hope this helps.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.