PDA

View Full Version : Free Dope-Track plug-in?

ben martin
12-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey guys,

Anyone knows about any free dope-track plug-in to Lightwave? :hey:
Something like Poser or Maestro key-dope track. :thumbsup:

I don't like LW original dope-track.

Many thanks.

SplineGod
12-10-2007, 09:32 AM
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/lscripts/PortableTimelineEXMC.zip

ben martin
12-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Hey Larry, that one I already knew... (your recommendation) but it's not what I'm searching for!
This one is most like the Lightwave time-line slider (new version)... what I'm searching for is something more complete like the attached image:

ericsmith
12-11-2007, 08:33 AM
There's nothing out there that even comes close to the feature set of the Maestro keyframe editor, for free or otherwise (If someone else put the effort and time we put into ours, I doubt they'd just give it away, either).

The only thing that even comes close is Keytrak from Mark Brown, and that has been off the market for years.

Eric

ben martin
12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
There's nothing out there that even comes close to the feature set of the Maestro keyframe editor, for free or otherwise (If someone else put the effort and time we put into ours, I doubt they'd just give it away, either).

The only thing that even comes close is Keytrak from Mark Brown, and that has been off the market for years.

Eric
Yup, just like I thought!
Even Maestro is having problems to deal with LW9.3 (Lightwave fault I guess).
Beside that the horrible Lightwave deform engine is slowing CA down and it does not help.

So, I guess I must continue to use external applications to solve my CA needs (Blender - Kaydara Motion Builder) despite the fact that I'm trying (over and over again) to use LW CA tools but I can't see how to setup a practical and functional CA workflow using LW.

adamredwoods
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
What is your specific need that Maestro or Lightwave does not solve? (or point me to a thread discussing your needs)

ben martin
12-11-2007, 04:50 PM
What is your specific need that Maestro or Lightwave does not solve? (or point me to a thread discussing your needs)
Just peek what I mean when I talk about a good dope-sheet:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76415
Post #6

We need intuitive, functional dope-sheets where all channels are shown in the time line giving you the ability to move and edit the graph motion as you go... no opening or selecting parts (bones or whatever) and editing one at the time.
That’s tedious and out-focuses to the big picture.

faulknermano
12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
(If someone else put the effort and time we put into ours, I doubt they'd just give it away, either).

dont be so sure. PortableTimelineEXMC was developed over a course of years, and at those time it was new ground for me.

the only reason why dev stopped for that script was that it no longer served a useful purpose personally. had i continued to animate in LW as i have in Maya, PTEXMC development would be have been continued. i primarily develop in a busy production environment, btw, not a sterile one, so it does have its disadvantages when it comes to debugging out-of-line errors but also advantage.

nevertheless, would i still give it out for free? well, i'd rather let my actions answer that.

if i come across in anyway as condescending, i just want to emphasise that just because it's free it does not mean it was not a labor of love. it does not mean it was done shoddily, nor does it mean it was not done for an extended period of time. this is most ironic, because PTEXMC, because it was developed in a work environment took the longest to develop, and hardest to do because of it. Maya2LW2, another open-source project, is the exactly same story, and though not as programmatically complex as PTEXMC, it being developed through no less than 5 different projects with deadlines set by external forces. and i put myself through that because there was no realistic way for me to test Maya2LW2's capabilties and find real bugs unless i do real work. the result, and continuing result, is a professionally-satisfying data transfer system between maya to lw that the few who have used have somehow appreciated it. others who needed more moved on. but most importantly, i utilise it to make life easier, have control of what i need.

so while maestro's editor kicks the competition out of the water by popular vote, i'd rather not hear side comments about free developers. thanks.

ericsmith
12-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I apologize if my statement came out in a negative way towards free plugins. That wasn't my intention.

There are tons of great free plugins floating around, and I use a lot of them.

But the fact is, we put many months of full time development into Maestro. It's possible that the total salary cost to my boss's company was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000 or even more. When Ben asked if anyone new of something with all the features of Maestro, but free, it seemed unlikely to me that anyone would put that kind of investment into something and then just give it away. (And honestly, it was a little off-putting to have someone say that they really wanted the features of the plugin we had worked so hard on, but didn't think it was worth paying for)

Eric

faulknermano
12-12-2007, 09:54 AM
i know a commercial lw developer who situation makes me share your same sentiments as yours (e.g. others didnt think his plugin was worth paying for). without a doubt i'm totally on your side, despite the fact i dont sell my stuff. but if i ever did i'd charge like hell, for your very same reason: alot of time and effort, skill and experience has been invested. but i the reasons why i havent yet, are mine to keep ... and revise if i must ;).

my concern is that no one should go to the other side. having a "heavily-invested plugin that should be priced as much" shouldn't be partnered with "a plugin that isnt priced has little or no investment at all". i know you didnt say that, but the correlation is apparent, and you are not the first one to correlate on this. now, i acknowledge it wasnt your intention, and i believe it, and i have no beef with it, or you. though i would just like to be laborious and repetitive and communicate clearly that there are payoffs other than money. i may invest hundreds of man-hours and give it away 'for free.' but there are different rewards. for some it's the feeling of producing something useful for oneself (one of my primary reasons). for some it's because others find it useful (old reason ;) ). for others because it's just a joy to deprive yourself of sleep (very old reason). there's nothing more or less about that than getting paid for it. there shouldnt be any correlation because the rewards we seek arent always the same.

ben martin
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
When Ben asked if anyone new of something with all the features of Maestro, but free...
Eric
Hey! Hey! Hey! Eric... hold down!
I'm not asking for a free plug like Maestro... no way... I just used Maestro Dope-sheet as example.
I'm only interested in view in the time line all the bones keys tracks at same time (Like maestro and Poser presents - Yes Lightwave dope -sheet also does that but it's very slow and buggy).

Anyway... Maestro is much more than a dope-track, you know that better that anyone else!
I could never expect something Like Maestro to be free... nevertheless... Blender is and does almost everything Maestro does. but that's another completely different issue!
:)