PDA

View Full Version : screen saver??

caustic wave
07-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Can anyone help me regarding what resolution is best for saving my animation to play as a screen saver.
I tried avi format, but it looked to crusty when viewed full screen.

I need to save my animation into a good format, so when i convert it to a screen saver full screen, it will look sharp.

thanks

garg
07-07-2003, 12:40 AM
The first problem you will face is that the screensaver resolution depends on the user configuration. Maybe you works with 1024x768 but other may work with 1280x1024 or even more. I do not know which tool do you use to transform your AVI into a screensaver, maybe there is some way to fix the resolution (for example start with 640x480) so you just need to produce an AVI with this resolution.

Second problem is your codec. If you do not use a good codec you may just lose too much details (like low quality JPEGs)

Alain Bertrand

caustic wave
07-07-2003, 03:13 AM
thanks, i will try to use a better codec, maybe divx pro 5.5.

I think I still must save my avi to XGA 1024 x 768.

You must be right, It might be the codec output.

I am using Axialis professional screen saver maker 3.5.
It converts to a SCR format.

By the way, It made a screen saver with this method, and when i tried to install it at work, the system froze, and the screen saver
did nothing. it only work on my home pc??

wonder why?

marvin
07-07-2003, 07:16 PM
I don't know if this will help or if it's just useless info, but you get pretty good quality with rendering as a quicktime using sorenson 3 compressor.

If the niffty program converts for you, can't you render uncompressed? That would be the best quality, but maybe file size is still an issue with your program.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

marvin

caustic wave
07-09-2003, 04:35 AM
where can I find this codec, is it program?, or codec.

thanks

marvin
07-09-2003, 10:09 AM
hey,

it's a codec. When you are in any program and going to render out a quicktime movie, one of the options you can choose as a compressor is sorenson.

By the way, I just noticed last night, a friend of mine worked on a short movie. He took like 5 still frames, put them into a folder and he was able to set his screen saver to automatically scroll through the images in a folder of his choice. He is on a Mac G3 (I know it's old, but not everyone can afford to buy a computer right when it comes out). He is running OS X Jaguar edition. I guess this image scrolling screen saver thing comes with Jaguar.

On a PC, I'm not sure how you would do it. To be honest, I would probably make an animated gif.

marvin