View Full Version : cant load or file not found

hcir
07-06-2003, 08:43 PM
hi there i'm a month new to lightwave7.5
i've read through some of the manual
and have bought inside lightwave7 and
lightwave 7.5 primer so far not to bad
my question is the books say load scene
or object- bla bla.i can see the scenes/objects in the folders.
i load it. and get file not found-can't load
search for alternative?i'm useing a g4 1
GHz(jan 2003)this does not happen with
all the files on the cds.any help with this
would be greatly appreciated :confused:

John Fornasar
07-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Read the help file section (or your manual) about "Content Directory".

Some fast help:

In Layout, hit the letter "o"... in the window that opens, set the content directory to the root of the sub-directory that contains the scene file. Close the window, then when you open a scene file, LW will automatically look for objects and images in their appropriate folders.

If you start a new project, start a new content directory for the project. Let's say you are modeling your house -

create some folders...

C:\MyHouseProject

in there, create the following subs:
C:\MyHouseProject\Images
C:\MyHouseProject\Objects
C:\MyHouseProject\Scenes

and maybe a place to put your renders....
C:\MyHouseProject\TestRenders

As you create your models (or gather them from CD's or the net), save them in the models subdirectory.
Any bitmaps that you are going to use for texturing, save them in the Images directory.

Open Layout, hit the "o" key and set the content directory to C:\MyHouseProject.

Import your models, save your scene, LW will put the scene file in the Scenes directory. The next time you open the scene, LW will know where to find the various files.

hcir
07-07-2003, 03:21 PM
thanks john that cleared it up now i see the light.as for the choose alternate file i see now that a file name appears in the window and if i navigate to that file and select it, amazing,there it is.again thanks for the help,it makes sense and i get it finally;) :D

John Fornasar
07-07-2003, 09:30 PM
OK, now that you digested that bit, here's one more...

alot of the tutorial writers will use image maps supplied with your LW installation, especially things like chrome.tga and fractalreflections.tga, so rather than include them in a download or CD, they are pointing to them in their own LW directory, which may be on a different drive than yours.
If you see these, drill down to your

Lightwave\Images\Reflections directory, and select the file.

after playing with the scene, remember that image maps (and all surfacing) on objects must be saved or you will "lose" the image map the next time you open the object or the scene. So remember to do a File-Save either All Objects or Current Object, then save the scene.

hcir
07-07-2003, 10:33 PM
thanks john for the help i'll keep an eye out for that and now i'll know what to do and where to look thanks for getting me going;)