PDA

View Full Version : DV recompressed?

SCS
12-08-2007, 10:07 AM
I was informed a while back (by Dr. Cross, I think) that in VT4's VT-Edit all file formats were converted to an uncompressed format for processing and then recompressed (if the codec is a compressed one) when rendered out in the codec selected.

In SpeedEdit if I perform only cuts on DV clips, and render out the result, will it be recompressed or stream copied from the originals?

Thanks.

ScorpioProd
12-08-2007, 11:17 AM
It will be recompressed.

SpeedEDIT doesn't support the "smart rendering" that some other NLEs do.

SCS
12-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I was afraid of that...

billmi
12-10-2007, 07:30 AM
While I can see the speed issue for "smart rendering" on render based systemd, I still can't wrap my head around the idea of why from a quality aspect it would be desireable.

Consider - Smart Rendering on an editor with an RGB pipeline, your clip is going to be passed native YUV, up to the point you lay an effect on it, or go to a transition, at which point you are going to kick over to a version that has been converted to RGB, manipulated then converted back to YUV. That's one of the things I used to not like about Speed Razor back in the day, color shift when it went to an effect, or had an overlay, because the type of processing changed.

It simply makes sense to me, that all the footage going through the entire project should face the same conversions, if any, and the same number and type of uncompression/recompression generations.

ScorpioProd
12-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I used to think that way as well, but seeing Vegas do it, I don't notice any issues with it, so I now prefer the speed improvement in the render. And frankly, this will become more important as we move to MPEG-2 editing, since the format is more fragile with repeated rendering will hurt it badly. Not to mention the additional time required in MPEG-2 rendering.

But I do know what you mean, like back on the ol' Flyer with RenderFX, for those the difference would really stick out.