PDA

View Full Version : Best Mac video card for Mac

CG Addict
12-08-2007, 10:05 AM
What is the best card out there for a Power Mac G5 dual 1.8. I am currently using an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. Getting very slow. Running LW 9.0 - 9.3 with Motion and Final Cut and in addition to getting a new card I will be maxing out my memory to 4GBs.

I can't afford to buy latest and greatest Mac but will be considering it 2nd quarter '08.

Any help will very much appreciated.

Mike

surfingmarmot
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Not sure how to answer this one as might be the case for many-hence the silence. I have a G5 1.8 dual (first gen w PCI) and I upgraded to a X800 XT a couple of years ago (or so) when APerture refused to install because the original GFX card was out of spec (arrrrgh).

Macworld discussed MacPro video in an article around Nov 2006 and warned more modern cards (ATI x19000) won't even work in G5s. So you might be at the end of your rope on this one. Sometimes technology just dies out.

I refused to upgrade GFX again so I ordered a quad-core Mac Pro with the ATI X1900--shipped today so I shoudl see it soon. good thing: G5 is over 4 years old now and panting on renders ;-)

I know you stated that is not an option so I don't know what more to say than be very careful and be sure anything you buy will work and be sure you have a return policy covering you in case it doesn't.

CG Addict
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the reply surfingmarmot.

Yes I think you're right on the no comments part. I can't find any card that works with this type of Mac. I've gone ahead and made other upgrades on this machine but will be grabbing one of the newer Macs with the quad processors.

Thanks again.

surfingmarmot
12-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Actually, Apple might have refreshed the Mac Pro line by Q2 '08 so you'll get newer dual- and quad-cores than I just did but I wanted to purchase this calendar year. Apple is expected to refresh the Mac Pro at MacWorld next month by some pundits but we'll see. In any event, they'll likely announce with availability in late Q1 or early Q2 which will fit your timing. You may even get better options on the GPU as well. Good luck.

dsol
12-18-2007, 06:49 AM
The problem is you have an AGP graphics card in the dual 1.8 (PCI express slots weren't introduced until the last-gen G5s came out). AGP cards are getting hard to get hold of these days - even on PCs.

You might be able to get a PC card and try flashing the BIOS to make it mac -compatible, but that's a fairly tricky process. But it does have the advantage of being cheap in comparison to buying an "official" mac-supported card.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/graphics/flash_PC_geforce2mx.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=80595

The whole sorry state of the Mac graphics card (non) industry depresses me. If Apple ever bothered to address the enthusiast/gamer market and released a mid-sized tower with PCI express slots (and a single CPU socket) at a competitive price with Dell, they'd create a viable market for third-party vendors to release graphics cards in. Which would benefit me tremendously. Grrrr.... Bad Steve Jobs. Hates games, you see.

Giacomo99
12-25-2007, 07:21 AM
The problem is you have an AGP graphics card in the dual 1.8 (PCI express slots weren't introduced until the last-gen G5s came out). AGP cards are getting hard to get hold of these days - even on PCs.

There are also major performance and compatibility problems. The ONLY third-party card I could even find (even three years ago when I bought my dual 2.5 G5) was the ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Edition, and it gave me endless problems-- e.g., the computer couldn't find the monitor on about one out three startups and running FPrime caused both displays to shut off (really). The end came when I bought a new Apple display the other week and the card simply couldn't find it, even after several restarts. I swapped the card the machine shipped with (I guess it's a GeForce) back in and decided to live with it.

Based on the above experience, my advice is to just stick it out with your existing card until you can afford a new machine.

avkills
12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Search ebay for a nVidia 7800 GT. There is a guy (macgeniuses) that sells flashed PC cards that work in AGP G4s and G5s. You will need to tap off of the CD drive though for power, but the kit comes with the cable for doing it.

I just bought one and I will report back once I get it. Mainly since my X800 is not working properly with OS X 10.5 Leopard. I am also driving a 30" ACD which is why I am having issues. Pretty much everyone with a X800 and a 30" ACD is having issues with Leopard.

-mark