PDA

View Full Version : what's the best hardware

gthumbus
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
just got LW ordered today. i have a good computer now but was interested in getting the best system for
the software to run and render at top speed i know it will cost. what is your
ideas? thanks "G"

clumsycloudy
12-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Probably the one thats in store when you unpack your ordered computer at home, question really is: are you a mac man?

Nowadays i dont see a great enhancement in speed per processor, so 8core would be cool, and a 64bit os

cheers

ric

Speedmonk42
12-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think you need to spend that much money.

Overclock a Q6600 to 3.2Ghz and get a decent graphics card.

3GB of RAM.

You are done.

I know it doesn't sound exciting....

Don't pay for all the premium stuff, when you could have an extra quad box sitting next to it.

I have seen complete quad systems with Vista for as low as 679. Great render box.

gthumbus
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
thanks for the info right now i have:
AMD Athlon(tm)64x2 dual
core processor 3800+
2.01 GHz, 2.00 GB of ram
i've been running maya 7 on it ok but some of the rendering
is as slow as molases.
thanks again "G"

sonofmickel
12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
I would like to see a "working" list of parts to make a sub-$700 quad machine that I can overclock, that will be stable. I have been to newegg and there is just too much stuff that I would order wrong.

Speedmonk42
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
I added 'great render box' on the end of that because it would need a graphics card if you want it to be your primary machine. Now you don't need anything too expensive. Maybe add $150 to that.

Also systems like Dell and Acer I believe you cannot overclock, at least that is what some of the more hardcore nerds say. At the very least they make it difficult for you.

For an overclockable system that will be your primary machine I would put the price tag closer to sub 1000. Because you need a graphics card, a better motherboard and some faster RAM.

Look for Mobo's with the P35 chipset from ASUS. P5K series of Mobos.

The only other concern I think is getting the right RAM for the speed you will OC it too. You apparently do not need any fancy cooling systems for an OC of 3.2GHz

The rest is your budget, HD Size, Graphics card, fancy case....