PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp Dongle question

gatz
12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
If I decided to use a PC version of LW under bootcamp will the dongle have the same number? Does anyone have experience with dual licensing of plugins?

rg

gerry_g
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
If it's a purple duo dongle, it is capable of returning one ID for Intel platforms and another for PPC, your registration account with Newtek is or was set up to let you enter and receive either, but you won't know this for sure until you actually fire up the Windows version and see if it throws up a new ID Lock and asks you to go register it in order to receive a new permanent key

Phil
12-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Plugin vendors will generally take you on trust not to screw them around. I'm not sure that there is an algorithm for them to predict the Mac dongle ID for a given Windows dongle ID.

For plugins, it's worth checking with the vendor before purchase in case they do not support multiple platforms with one license (most do, some don't) and when you order, include both IDs in the order to avoid problems later - making sure to note which is the Mac and which is the Windows one.

Chilton
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure that there is an algorithm for them to predict the Mac dongle ID for a given Windows dongle ID.

AFAIK, this is correct. I don't think there's a simple algorithm separating the two IDs on a Duo dongle.

-Chilton

gatz
12-08-2007, 05:04 PM
So the distinction is between Intel and PPC? Does this mean OSX under INTEL returns the same as under windows?

rg

archijam
12-08-2007, 05:29 PM
the 'new' black and red dongle from safenet works with bootcamp, paralells, osx and intel (see specs below).

BeeVee
12-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Just checked here (purple duo dongle, Intel iMac with Leopard, Bootcamp 2 with Windows XP Pro SP2) and can verify that the same lock ID is reported on the PC that the dongle is normally on, on the Mac and on the Mac under Bootcamp.

B

Phil
12-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Huh? The purple Duo dongle will :

- report a different ID between Windows and Mac, whether or not the Mac is PowerPC or Intel.
- report the same ID between PowerPC LW and UB LW.

It seems to be purely a function of operating system and not CPU-type.

My purple Duo dongle reports ID 1xxxx under Win32 and 3yyyy under both Mac versions of LW. I cannot speak for Win64, though expect that that reports yet another ID.

BeeVee
12-10-2007, 06:16 AM
That's what I thought too and yet... the purple USB dongle that I use on the PC has been in use for a very long time (since LightWave 7.0) and I present three unretouched pics...

I'll do another from the CFM version if need be.

Ag, Bootcamp XP is taking ages to copy the files over for 9.3.1 so I'll update this post with a screenie from that in a mo. The important thing is that you can see that the Lock ID is the same for the Win 2k and UB versions of 9.3.1.

B
Edit: Can't get a screengrab on Bootcamp XP since the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work, but it shows the same number.

Phil
12-10-2007, 06:54 AM
You've got something very unusual going on there, Ben. My Duo dongle also dates from LW 7.0, so I should in theory be seeing the same as you, but am not.

Where's Chilton? :)

BeeVee
12-10-2007, 07:18 AM
:D I agree, it goes counter to all that I know as well... Chilton?!

B

Chilton
12-10-2007, 07:21 AM
I am constant, even as the Northern Star.

It's been awhile since I tinkered with the dongle code, but from what I recall, the way this works is slightly more complex than it appears. Keep in mind I wasn't here when the DUOs were first introduced, so I don't know what transpired on those dark nights.

I *think* the DUO dongles were distributed as a means to move to newer dongle code, while still supporting our existing dongle code. They were meant to be a convenience to the user, and not so much an attempt to divide the platforms. The problem is that depending on the API used, a different ID was returned.

On the PPC platform, to continue to support people's older plug-ins, we had to do some twiddling. They were tied to the older API's dongle ID, which would change with the newer APIs. So we have some code in there that juggles the API used a bit, in order to continue to do this.

IIRC, at one point in the beta process, I changed the dongle code so that it would be compatible with LWUB. Unfortunately, I assumed the way the code was written was accidental, so I changed it, so that all of the dongles would report the same ID. I didn't realize we had this back-and-forth code in there intentionally, and had to change this after it broke compatibility with a number of people's existing licenses. It also annoyed the plug-in authors who were trying to get their stuff ported to the UB, as their Mac users would no longer have the same ID they originally registered.

For Duo users today, we have special code that uses a different way to access the various security APIs. If this is an inconvenience, speak up!

So now, it is as clear as a summer's day?

-Chilton

Phil
12-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Nope, not really :

Ben has a Duo dongle. It reports the same ID under Win32 as UB LW. PPC LW reports a different ID than UB LW, I would expect.

I have a Duo dongle from the same vintage (2001, corresponding with the 7.0 release). It reports a different ID under Win32 than UB LW. PPC LW reports the same ID as UB LW.

Your explanation above doesn't help me understand this. Both Macs are Intel (my MBP and Ben's iMac).

BeeVee
12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
And just to confuse matters further, I just tried with a new purple duo dongle (not exactly new, just never been used) and got different numbers for the latest Win2K build and the UB build on OS X, while the Bootcamp XP shows the same Lock ID as the Win2k machine.

B

Chilton
12-10-2007, 09:02 AM
This might explain why we don't ship the duo dongles anymore.

-Chilton

BeeVee
12-10-2007, 09:20 AM
It was all working just fine until you came along with your fancy-shmancy universal binary nonsense! ;)

B