PDA

View Full Version : Which is the way...

Kaced
12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure this is the place for this or not, but here goes...I am researching my options to purchase LW. I have a reseller locally, but, when I contacted them, they could not answer any of my questions. And, they wanted the complete cost up front before ordering it. I got scared and ran away...:thumbsdow I live in Canada so my options are limited here, or maybe I can order from the U.S. or U.K. I don't know which direction to go at this point. Also, I would like to know if there is a difference in the versions from country to country. Is there a deluxe version with all the bells and whistles, or do I have to purchase plugins/addons/filters...? Also, does it come with an adequate manual and resources to get to the point of being able to learn in a reasonable time frame enough to make a professional looking product? How often is there patches/fixes/extras...? Is that additional cost? Anyway, I am eager to start learning, but not to give up a bunch of money to a stranger and not see anything for it...if someone could help me I would appreciate it...thank you. :)

Lightwolf
12-06-2007, 04:23 PM
There is only one version, in any country (except Japan which has a Japanese GUI and manual).
There is only one version feature wise as well. With one license you get a dongle and can use LW on any supported platform (OSX as well as windows 32/64bit).

The manual is o.k. but requires experimenting to get up to speed (what line of work are you in?). There is a lot of third party training available though (I don't have an overview, I'm sure somebody can chime in though).

Third party plugins? It depends on what you want to do really... you can get very far out of the box. Some plugins make life a lot easier, some serve niche markets.

Patches about every 4-6 months, no fees for point upgrades, usually 300-400US$ for major upgrades. As a registered user you can also use the open beta version.

Cheers,
Mike

IMI
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I would contact Newtek directly and ask about this reseller first. Otherwise you could also order it online.
No, there's no "Pro" or "Ultimate" or "Anvanced" version of LW. it's all the same, just good ol' LightWave with free point upgrades, usually many new features added, every cycle, and unlimited render nodes. Umm, I think there's a limit at 999 nodes, but I'm not sure since I'd never get to that point. ;)
The manuals are so-so. Better than alot, but still... no software manual really explains all. They're more like guides.
However, there's tons of free tutorials and video tutorials. I mean lots, here. Loads of support as well.
There are some plugins you might want to get, and some of them are kinda pricey, such as Sasquatch and FPrime, not to mention Project:Messiah, but it's nowhere near as bad as some other software (which will remain nameless) which need plugins for everything.
There is a demo of 9.0 available...somewhere.. but not on Newtek's US site, although there's a link for it. It's on their European site though. Although I won't swear to it. Thirty days, fully functional, no watermark.
Good luck in your decision. :)

cagey5
12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Re. purchase. Generally you have to go via the authorised seller for the country/region. So I as a UK resident wouldn't be able to order from the US for instance.
Lightwave only comes in one flavour, no deluxe version we all play on the same field. You can buy other plug-ins to improve its performance but as it's going through a period of great change at the moment I'd stick to learning the basic package, which is always capable of much more than people expect.
Training material is widely available and comes in the form of books, DVD's online training material etc. Again start with the simpler free stuff and fill in the gaps as you need them. There is currently an excellent and seemingly neverending stream of free training videos from William [Proton] Vaughan the Lightwave Guru.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Updates happen when they happen, no fixed pattern. Full number updates are charged. Any point releases inbtween come free and are usually feature rich so if you buy LW9 it will be something very different before you get to LW10.
Welcome aboard.

IMI
12-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Re. purchase. Generally you have to go via the authorised seller for the country/region.

Oops, sorry for the bad information. I didn't know that. I got mine from a local reseller but I thought you could also buy online directly from their US site.

Kaced
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the information. I have contacted NewTek directly and I'm waiting for a response. I told them of my adventure with the local reseller and hopefully they can tell me road I should be on. I am actually kind of surprised to get such a response, I have a good feeling about getting back into animation. I have done some animation, but not for several years. I have a few years of schooling in design and animation, but, back when RayDream was the big kid on the block. That should narrow my age down. As I'm getting older (cough, cough) I feel a new urgency to chase an old dream. I have been active in graphic design over several years, but not as a job. I have a computer repair business that holds my main attention most days. I also manage properties on part time basis. Thanks again for your responses. :santa:

doimus
12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
I have had very bad experience with local resellers here in Croatia. they asked way too much for LW8 license (they even kept the old $1500 price even when LW got down to $800 or whatever it costs now and refused to lower the price even when I refered them to official NT webpage).

I ended up buying used LW7.5 license, and upgraded through NT directly

Kaced
12-11-2007, 06:57 AM
The local people I spoke to couldn't even give me a firm price. I wont be dealing with them if I do order it. I am still waiting for a response from NewTek. (5 days later) Maybe I will start looking at other software.

Steamthrower
12-11-2007, 07:10 AM
You can probably buy a copy on eBay as long as you make sure it's genuine, comes with a dongle, is unopened, etc. etc.

archijam
12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I am still waiting for a response from NewTek. (5 days later)

NewTek work weekdays like the rest of us ... perhaps you mean 2 1/2 days?

I deal with NT europe, and they are always fast. Don't know about the US office, but keep in mind there is probably not a NT call-centre ... that's what we're here for (?) ...

Besides, they have no time to answer phones and emails .. they're working on a new beta! ;)

j.

munky
12-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Kaced,

try playing with the trial version.............

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html

and see if you like it before you buy it!

regards

Paul

Zane Condren
12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello Kaced,

How did you try to contact us? With all the Spam these days email may have gotten caught up in a filter. I suggest you contact Unison Production Products in Edmonton. They are a big LightWave reseller. I have included their contact information below. Also, it is normal for a reseller to ask for the full amount before shipping it to you.

Company: Unison Production Products
Phone: 780-554-6657
Fax: 780-464-6049
Address: Unison Production Products
37 Cimmaron Way
Sherwood Park, Alberta T8H 1N2

MicroMouse
12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
As Zane suggested contact Unison. I order through them.

Wayne

Kaced
12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I tried the sales contact page...
http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?contact=sales
As I work weekends/weekdays sometimes I forget the rest of the world does not... I meant nothing by it, just answering questions. Thanks again for all the information, and I'll definitely get that trial and start playing with it.

Cory

robk
12-12-2007, 08:03 PM
As Zane suggested contact Unison. I order through them.

Wayne

Just like wayne said

robk
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Kaced

Where abouts in sask?

Rob K

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Kaced. I'm just curious, did you attend New Media Campus at any point? There are a few of us Saskies on here as you can probably tell already.

Titus
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I tried the sales contact page...
http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?contact=sales
As I work weekends/weekdays sometimes I forget the rest of the world does not... I meant nothing by it, just answering questions. Thanks again for all the information, and I'll definitely get that trial and start playing with it.

Cory

The trial is IMO very limited if not useless for the intent of understanding LW boundaries, so don't become frustrated if its the case. Try contacting some LW shop in your area and see if they can show you how they work. From time to time I receive young artists and give them a 3D ride, actually one time I invited the local NewTek staff to our SIGGRAPH chapter.

BeeVee
12-13-2007, 02:36 AM
It's only limited to 30 days. Other than that (and the fact you can't use commercial plug-ins) there are no limitations.

B

Iain
12-13-2007, 06:01 AM
I ordered through Newtek Europe. It was straightforward and easy and I got pric info from the site and replies to problems and queries quickly (thanks Beevee!)

If you want to start out with a versatile, intuitive 3d package, it would be hard to ever feel you had wasted money on LW as it's so cheap and feature rich.

bobakabob
12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I ordered through Newtek Europe. It was straightforward and easy and I got pric info from the site and replies to problems and queries quickly (thanks Beevee!)

If you want to start out with a versatile, intuitive 3d package, it would be hard to ever feel you had wasted money on LW as it's so cheap and feature rich.

:agree: Hear hear!

Kaced
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Kaced

Where abouts in sask?

Rob K

Saskatoon

Kaced
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Kaced. I'm just curious, did you attend New Media Campus at any point? There are a few of us Saskies on here as you can probably tell already.

I took a few courses over the years, one was a new media course at Heinze Institute in Saskatoon.

Kaced
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, sent my order off to Gordon Raboud in Alberta today...:thumbsup: Should take me to next christmas to make anything worth looking at though...maybe. :D

Zane Condren
12-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I suggest you check out some free tutorials located here
http://www.newtek.com/3dtutorials/

Kaced
12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I received my program today.:dance:
I was wondering, being old school and all, I've always used printed manuals and this did not come with any. Are the manuals a good resource or should I stick with tut's and online resources?
Happy New Year :beerchug:

Steamthrower
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
The manuals helped me out for the first month or so, but I quickly found that once you start getting into anything remotely complex (dynamics, hypervoxels, motion mixer, nodes) then they weren't much use anymore. So since then I've used external tutorials and online resources.

William Vaughan has been uploading some incredible videos. Look at this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

bobakabob
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
IMO the printed manual is extremely useful especially when you're starting out as it's a readable well illustrated overview of the program and you'll be surprised at what you learn just by browsing. I do think it beats reading off a screen.

A good complement would be the Inside Lightwave books by Dan Ablan. Check out Spinquad as there are links to tons of resources from Kurv Studios. And you must have seen Proton's free video tutorials on this site.

Nicolas Jordan
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
You can download a pdf version of the manual from your online account and print it off if you want. That's what some of us do now.

kurv
01-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Thanks bobakabob, we have a TON of free videos and we have some new free LIVE training events online now as well.

Hope this helps...

Kaced
06-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Not sure if I should add to this thread or not but...been a while since I've been here as you can tell...
Had some issues with family health and business.
Changed jobs, and picked up a new computer. So now I'm finally going to get busy on LW. I've pretty much forgotten everything I was doing...but...as I was completely new to it...it shouldnt matter now. I do remember there are tutorials online that I'll make use of. I would like to know though, if installing LW on my new machine will take any special steps as it has vista home premium sp1(32bit) running on it.

Intel core2 Quad 2.66ghz
Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT
w2408h 24" HDMI monitor
3gb ram