PDA

View Full Version : Roughness similair to reflection blurring on Conductor node?

Nicolas Jordan
12-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I have an interior that I am working on and have been rendering it in FPrime up until now. I tried it with the Lightwave native renderer and my scene brings Lightwave to it's knees about 5 seconds into rendering. I have been using nodes more and have lots of Conductor materials set up for surfaces in my scene. I took any reflection blurr to 0% but still had the same problem until I disabled any nodal surfaces I had then it rendered just fine. Is the roughness setting in Conductor similair to reflection blurring?

oldtekerr
12-05-2007, 10:17 PM
yes...

Nicolas Jordan
12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
That definitely explains the insane slowdown on renders then. Time to go through all my objects and crank the roughness down. :thumbsdow I really hope Lightwave is able to handle reflection blurr better sometime soon.

Captain Obvious
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Untick the "blurred reflections" checkbox on the advanced tab of the Conductor.

Nicolas Jordan
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Untick the "blurred reflections" checkbox on the advanced tab of the Conductor.

Thanks for the tip.

othornton
12-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Lowering your number of rays and using non-nodal textures will also speed up your render. Not only are nodes in general slower to render but the material nodes specifically are designed to simulate real-world materials and as such take longer to process. Non-nodal surfaces still can have reflection blurring, and it should render faster. Look on the Environment tab of the Surface panel. Lower samples will produce a rougher reflection and using a reflection map will allow you to reduce your rays even further.

-Oliver