PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Rules

zippitt
12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I know the topic seems vauge, but I am having a problems determining what is good practice.

I know in the gaming industry you need tris. The typical technique is to model using quads and then triple them when you are done.

I am not really modeling for any industry per say, but just trying to conform to a set of rules that will make all things easiest in the long run.

It's far too easy to model using non planar polys with more than 4 vertices. But this seems like a sloppy way of modeling. And of course doing this causes problems using SubD although Catmul of late seems to be a way around some of those issues. It can also cause artifacts rendering as well as issues using smoothing on surfaces. All too often I find myself cleaning things up.

To me it seems sticking to 4 and 3 vertices on polygons while keeping them non planar is the way to go. But sticking to these rules proves difficult for me when trying to get curved surfaces to work or using booleans. Of course that just be due to my lack of modeling skills.

I know tripling fixes non planar issues but it can create some undesirable affects when dealing with polys having more than 4 vertices.

Any opinions for a beginner/intermediate modeler?

Surrealist.
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Check out my tutorial on subpatches and the linked article "Uses for Subdivision Surfaces" for some information that will help along those lines.

And I agree the simplest way of modeling is best and CC subpatches are OK but have a few other issues such as UVs.

loki74
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, for character modeling at least, I've read from numerous sources that n-sided polygons are fine, because they'll divide out in one or two levels of subdivision. The caveat here is that LW's CC algorithm may not be as mature as other packages, so we probably have to be a bit more careful.

Of course, it depends on the context. Modeling for a still frame is very different than modeling for an animated scene, and both are different from modeling game assets.

SplineGod
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I tend to avoid n-gons when modeling anything organics, esp characters. With things like that polyflow is critical to how it looks, deforms, texturres etc.
Its harder to predict how ngons will flow when theyre subdivided.

zippitt
12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Ack, sorry for the typos.

The info does prove useful and I will incorporate it into my next project.

In any case, thanks everyone!

ChrisBasken
12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
When modeling rigid things, like vehicles or tools or weapons, do folks generally go with subpatches, or just build the level of detail they need right into the polys themselves?

If so, what do you find to be the best way to handle poly flow discontinuities? Just break the item up into discrete subpatched elements?

Also, for realistic object, how do you decide what level of detail is enough? When you model a spaceship, do you go down to the rivets and beveled-edge hull plating, or just use texture maps (if that) for those?

SplineGod
12-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Theres no hard and fast rules. Sometimes I use subpatches, sometimes I freeze them and add details from there. I tend to model things the way they would be built in reality, as parts. Bevels can be modeled or faked with a shader. Rivots can be modeled or textured.
I tend to freeze subpatches if the object will not be deformed in layout.