PDA

View Full Version : How do i create a transparent background for animation to .mov file

imaginethat.uk
12-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Hi

I am very new to 3d - i am using lightwave 9 - i have created an animation to render. i want to take the .mov file into final cut pro to composite onto an existing sequence. How do i get just the animated characters with no background???

Thanks keith

ben martin
12-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Hi

I am very new to 3d - i am using lightwave 9 - i have created an animation to render. i want to take the .mov file into final cut pro to composite onto an existing sequence. How do i get just the animated characters with no background???

Thanks keith
Seems to me that what you need is to render your scene using a "green" background.
Go to Lightwave background color (CTRL+F5) and change the background color to "electric" green.

Why not to use/maintain the black background?
Because the black background could be mixed with your characters shadows.

Then save the anim as MOV.

Import the render MOV to your NLE (final cut pro) and use the rendered mov "electric" green as KEY color to transparency.
There you go!

Maxx
12-05-2007, 04:34 AM
You can also render your animation to .mov (if you must - IMO you should render to still frames that support alpha and compile in final cut) using the "Millions of colors+" setting - the "+" is an alpha channel. This should work for you.

imaginethat.uk
12-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks Max and Ben

Lightwave seems to be so able that i'm amazed there is no 'transparent' background setting - i can think of so many times when i will need to create 'overlay' animations.

But i will try both methods thanks again

Keith

oldtekerr
12-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks Max and Ben

Lightwave seems to be so able that i'm amazed there is no 'transparent' background setting - i can think of so many times when i will need to create 'overlay' animations.

Keith

There is a transparent background...Its called an alpha channel.
If you hit F9 and render an image. when its done and the image viewer pops up there is a button on the top right that says "image". If you click that and change it to alpha you will see your "transparent background".

ben martin
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks Max and Ben

Keith
Like "oldtekerr" said, the PRO way to get transparencies out of any 3D software is using the ALHPA Channel.

This is done professionally by saving frames sequences that can be separated in two groups (RGB image frames and Alpha frames) or using image formats that allow the ALPHA go already layered on the RGB image.
But you must know how to handle such formats and composite software.
Also, you can composite 2 different image sequences or AVI/MOV files inside Lightwave EFFECTS - COMPOSITING tab.

I just not pointed this right away because you are just starting and maybe a GREEN SCREEN option to control the transp. in your NLE is the easy way to go for now! :)