PDA

View Full Version : 3ds to LW

avkills
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Turbosquid has a model I am thinking of purchasing, but I need to know if LW (9.3) has issues in importing 3ds (max) objects?

I contacted them to see if the artist could convert. The model does not look overly complicated.

-mark

archijam
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Nothing, not even MAX can convert MAX files .. ;)

I say that in jest but it can really be dangerous in an archi firm to not save the MAX version in the project folder..

MAX is a proprietary format, even Deep Exploration (the most expensive of conversion programs) cannot convert MAX files unless you have MAX installed on that machine ...

I would just get someone here to convert it for you. I think Cresshead mentioned once that he uses MAX ;)

j.

clumsycloudy
12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
what are you talking about james, .3ds is supported and has been for quite some time in modeler, just need to set the default rotation and scale, nothing more..

you can even load it directly into layout..

archijam
12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
As I seem to have misread .. I thought he meant 3ds (.max) files not .3ds (max) files :)

puntje puntje puntje

As you were gentlemen!

j.

ps. like the new avatar clums!

clumsycloudy
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
made me startup lightwave to doublecheck... there goes my evening..

better drink some beer now to forget :)

archijam
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
A shameful fact I will most likely take to my grave.

I miss Duvel.

j.

avkills
12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for confusing me.... :p

I think the file is ".3ds". There is a .max, a .3ds and a .c4d.

Will any of those load into Modeler, and which one is the safest bet?

-mark

clumsycloudy
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
3ds is as oldschool as it gets, your best bet probably

avkills
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys. I probably ought to try and model it myself, but deadlines can be a real bugger; and modeling is not my strong point.

-mark

cresshead
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
.3ds is 3d studio file format from the early 90's for 3d studio dos it has mapping, animation cameras and lights the mapping is resticted to a 8:3 format of naming due to dos limitations so any maps with long file names will be truncated with a~

lightwave cannot 'read' the lights and camera data as lightwave modeler loads only polys...not lights/cameras or animation so all that stuff is stripped out on loading.

using other apps than 3dsmax on .3ds files mean that the objects will come in triangulated

.max can only be loaded by 3dsmax, studio viz, flame and inferno.
older versions of saves can be loaded into newer versions of max but newer saved files from later versions of max cannot be oaded into old versions of max....if you get the free demo version you can load up the file then export as a obj or fbx file as the demo is fully functioning for 30days.

.c4d is the file format of cinema 4d so you'll need a full version of cinema 4d to open it...the demo i believe has restricted usability so i doubt you can export from the demo.

archijam
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Nice explanation Cress.

.obj is good for maintaining quads.

There are a few good plugs if you want to de-triangulate 3ds files ..

MergeTrigonsX is one of the better ones.

j.

Marcia
12-04-2007, 04:51 PM
.3ds is 3d studio file format from the early 90's for 3d studio dos it has mapping, animation cameras and lights the mapping is resticted to a 8:3 format of naming due to dos limitations so any maps with long file names will be truncated with a~

lightwave cannot 'read' the lights and camera data as lightwave modeler loads only polys...not lights/cameras or animation so all that stuff is stripped out on loading.

using other apps than 3dsmax on .3ds files mean that the objects will come in triangulated

Also, you have to merge points after importing a .3ds file, and sometimes they will import with strange corruptions (exploded or multiple copies of geometry).

TurboSquid has the capability of converting files directly from .max to LW (via Deep Exploration or PolyTrans), and will probably do it if you ask them. I would go with that over the .3ds version. They will also allow you to return the model for your money back if the .3ds version turns out to be unusable (I'm a vendor there).

avkills
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Marcia. I have emailed them, so I will wait for a response and see what happens.

-mark

cresshead
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Also, you have to merge points after importing a .3ds file, and sometimes they will import with strange corruptions (exploded or multiple copies of geometry).

yeah merge points def...that goes with all imports from people in any format..you;'d be surprised the amount of models with double point counts from people.

re expoded gemometry..this is usually down to the scene in 3dstudio or 3dstudio max having used grouping [lightwave doesn't have groups] for objects so when imported they are repositioned to each object in that group's world space pivot point..also instaning and referencing can mess up a 3ds file when imported into lightwave...

i ususally 'attatch' all the objects that make up a model into a single mesh
in 3dsmax then convert to edit mesh from edit poly ifthe model was bullt in edit poly as edit poly is not as old as edit mesh [max1]

hope this info helps you out!

avkills
12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks cresshead, I may be picking your brain some more a bit later in the week. :D

-mark

cresshead
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
yeah no probs, if i can help post a Q here...
if you need guidence on using max demo for exports of a max file to lightwave also no problem, just post here and i'll try to help either written answer of a hack n slash video posted on youtube for you.

avkills
12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Well I have the object, but the UV maps are coming across kind of goofy and I am seeing image seems.

Cresshead, would you be willing to just take a look at this object and see what you think. Turbosquid said they would convert it if I had problems.

(I will probably need your real email, since this is not a free public domain object. ?? )

-mark