PDA

View Full Version : Various unattached points in uv's

bubble_boy
12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey guys.

I have been having this problem for ages. when i select polygons in the uv editor, there are normally many points that don't move with the selsction. These points are normally also spread all over the place not looking like it has any effect on the polygons in the uv.

What am I doing wrong?

Giacomo99
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Not sure what the problem is here. Can you post a screen cap?

Cohen
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Have you checked to see if they are 1 point polygons? Go into your statistics panel, and toggle over to points mode and delete any 1 point polygons. If these are not 1 point polygons, then I would suggest going into the UV editor and lasso selecting these 'points' and using the "clear map from vertices command" under the General in the UV editing tab. That should solve the problem.

Cohen
12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Also, when editing UV's, Toggling on or off "Free Move" will allow you to manipulate the UV islands as 'connected' or 'disconnected' parts. This can contribute to the appearances of these 'points' when you break a uv vertex that resideds on the uv border where it may share an edge on the opposite side of your uvs. I hope that makes sense.

bubble_boy
12-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Thank you Cohen. Makes perfect sense. There are no 1 point polys, first thing I checked. :)

here is a screen shot. The circled points are what iI am talking about. This is actually not as bad as i have had them. The second screencap, I just selected the ploys in the map with poly selection mode. Rotated it using rotate tool, You can see everything going haywire from the first pic.

Also, if I try an flip selected uvs, I have to first ctr+u, flip them and the merge points again. Otherwise the uvs go all over the place. Am I doing something wrong? Symmetry is switched off.

Oh, the map mode was atlas, subpatched, and parts.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/Kindred_za/uv-points.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/Kindred_za/twisted.jpg

Surrealist.
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Unwelding is the correct thing to do. And if I remember correctly that is the way to avoid those lazy points if you unweld before you do the map. I could be wrong but play with it and see.

Take a look at Robin Wood's (http://www.robinwood.com/) tutorials on UV mapping.

gerry_g
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes unweld before you map then select again and unweld a second time and never flip anything while in a welded state, alternately leave it welded but never select in poly mode always point mode only to avoid the mess

Surrealist.
12-05-2007, 02:39 PM
That's right. That was the other thing. Selecting in point mode. Thanks for jogging my memory. :)

bubble_boy
12-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Thank you guys. And that you for the link Surrealist.

So I should map when everything is unsubpatched? And using merge to weld the points again is the right way?

Surrealist.
12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I do (that is create the map in linear). Then use the F8 panel to change the to subpatches after. So it is in polygon (unbsubpatch) mode for UV: unweld, make the map (select map in UV window using point selection rather than poly) adjust the map and so on, merge points, switch to map to subpatch mode via F8.

bubble_boy
12-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Thank you for all the help :)