PDA

View Full Version : Completely off-topic issue: Forum account issue

Captain Obvious
12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
So, uh... it seems I've forgotten my password. I really can't remember it, and I've tried a whole bunch to no avail. I can't use the password reset functionality, because the email I used for this account no longer exists. I can't change the email address, because you have to type in your password to do that. I can still, you know, browse and stay logged on, because the cookie still exists on my system, but it is obviously not stored as plain-text so I can't really access it...

Gah. What a catch 22! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Verlon
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
You could always create a new account.. :devil:

I can you use an email forwarding service? Or has someone else since taken over your old address?

Lightwolf
12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
[email protected] ? Or PM Chuck, he can forward your request to change the e-mail to an admin.

Cheers,
Mike

Steamthrower
12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
What if...*gasp*...the captain himself lost all 3,312 posts?

That would be horrible...

iconoclasty
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
if you're using firefox, go to tools, options, security, show passwords. You should be able to look for your newtek stored password.

Captain Obvious
12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I wasn't using Firefox, but that wasn't the issue. The password itself isn't saved anywhere. I'm staying logged on because I used the "keep me logged on" option and the cookie still exists. I can't log on from anywhere else, and if I ever log off, I won't be able to log on again...

iconoclasty
12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh.

art
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
That must be the most precious cookie you ever had. :)
I bet that Newtek staff (forum admin) will be able to help you with this.

IMI
12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Why not just become Major Obvious? You're probably about due for a promotion after three years anyway. :D

Yeah, I know, that doesn't help much...

Even if the cookie isn't plain text, it's still stored in your browser's cookies folder, isn't it? Find it and put it on a floppy, if you have a floppy drive, or somewhere else.

cagey5
12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
As in most other forms that ask for a password. If you enter an incorrect one that it doesn't recognise it offers you the opportunity to have the password reset. In Newteks instance the wording looks like this.....

I hate to say it but it's kinda obvious really.. ;)

Arrrggghhh Just realised I missed the bit about the changhed e-mail...

If you have forgotten your username or password, you can request to have your username emailed to you and to reset your password. When you fill in your registered email address, you will be sent instructions on how to reset your password.

Steamthrower
12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I know some folks who could hack into NT's servers for you and retrieve it, along with all of your medical history and credit card numbers.

Just kidding!

Captain Obvious
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I know some folks who could hack into NT's servers for you and retrieve it, along with all of your medical history and credit card numbers.
Oh, NewTek doesn't have my credit card anyway, since I'm pirati--- errr, nevermind!

(Just kidding!)

Anyway, I've emailed the web admin, but I haven't had a reply yet.

Steamthrower
12-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Oh, NewTek doesn't have my credit card anyway, since I'm pirati--- errr, nevermind!

Ha! Gotcha! I'd rather bet that you didn't know that I am on the NewTek Piracy Squad. You've been on our list for over three months now and I have finally nailed you. Say good-bye, Simon, before we notify U.K. law enforcement.

Chilton
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Captain,

I tried to send you a private message, but your message box is full. Please email me about this as well. You know, just in case...

[email protected]
[email protected]

Thanks,
-Chilton

inquisitive
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
What if...*gasp*...the captain himself lost all 3,312 posts?

That would be horrible...

demote him to sargeant :D

Captain Obvious
12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
I remembered my password! Joy to the world! :p

Phil
12-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Just to be safe, you better post it here. Next time you can use the search feature to find it again :D ;)

Steamthrower
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Yes, Captain, just post it here. While you're at it, post the security question (what was your favorite pet's name, what was your mother's maiden name, what flavor ice cream do you like) and, heck, you might as well put all your private info down so you won't forget it.