PDA

View Full Version : DOF refinement

Richard Hebert
12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Another new person in the mix. I've got a question about LW's Depth of Field that I can't find addressed in the manuals. My DOF blurs (and soft shadows) need refining. Is there a control that refines blurs and shadows?

Thanks for any help. More questions to follow I'm sure.

Steamthrower
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Refining...are you meaning antialiasing?

voriax
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Higher antialiasing, or switch on adaptive sampling.
Takes some trial and error to get it looking the way you want it.

Richard Hebert
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
That was fast! I believe that samples are adjusted in this software pkg. with anti-aliasing. Would this be an accurate assessment? In other programs this would be adjusted with 'Pixel Samples'. Just want to make sure I'm tweaking the correct 'knob'. I'm doing a test render with extreme DOF and can't check out shadow samples until it's finished. Will adjusting alias also affect shadow sampling?

geothefaust
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, it should affect shadows as well. Or, like Voriax said, you can turn on Adaptive Sampling and tweak the settings to get it to your liking.

Richard Hebert
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks Geo.

Exception
12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm doing a test render with extreme DOF and can't check out shadow samples until it's finished. Will adjusting alias also affect shadow sampling?

All of this applies only if you use anything but the classic camera. Classic camera uses passes, the others, which I recommend using, use stochastic sampling for AA, DOF, Motion blur, shadows etc.
Check out the AA guide in my signature.

Richard Hebert
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Very impressive work, exception. Were your renders done in multiple passes (shadow pass, highlight pass etc.)? If you don't mind my asking, approximately how long did one of the more complex frames take to render? While I may not achieve this level of photo-real, it would be comforting to know that version 9.3 could handle it.

Exception
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Very impressive work, exception. Were your renders done in multiple passes (shadow pass, highlight pass etc.)?

No, I;ve done that for stills, but never for animations. I know I should, but usually can't be bothered :)
I do always render to HDr and do some reexposing and messing with them afterwards.

If you don't mind my asking, approximately how long did one of the more complex frames take to render? While I may not achieve this level of photo-real, it would be comforting to know that version 9.3 could handle it.

Hm, it depends. Usually I try to keep my render times under 7 minutes a frame. That's kind of a nice number :)
For most that has been succesful but there are a few where the time exceeded this, and some where it was less.

Richard Hebert
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info. The tutorial section of your site has been a tremendous resource and complimentary addition to the manuals. After Christmas I'll see about contributing to the tutorial section to keep its availability. Well worth the investment.

Captain Obvious
12-07-2007, 07:52 AM
We did one animation with render times in excess of two hours per frame! That was a bit crazy, though.

Richard Hebert
12-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi CO. Was this animation rendered out at 720 x 486 or at a higher resolution?

Captain Obvious
12-08-2007, 06:13 AM
1280x720

Richard Hebert
12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Is that a standard resolution for your animations? Should I be preparing to render files at that resolution for broadcast animations?

Captain Obvious
12-08-2007, 09:23 PM
That depends on what resolution you need.