PDA

View Full Version : Live video streaming using VT and Windows Media Server

pepperfly
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm using VT(3) for a church making a t.v. program. I was going to set up a webserver to utilize the live video streaming capabilities. I was going to use linux and apache as my operating system and web server as they are free...however, I soon realized my video streaming capabilities with Video Toaster would be very limited using that solution, hence, live streaming would not seem possible.

In the documentation it says that Windows Media Encoder comes with VT(3). It states that in conjunction with that Windows Media Server could be used for the live video streaming. What I was wondering is if anyone has used this live streaming capability? If so what was your set up? Would you need to run Windows Media Server and Microsoft Web Server (IIS) on the same machine as VT and its hardware? That would not be ideal for us as we want that machine dedicated to video editing....we don't even have it online (yet). Also, is there a way just to run Windows Media Server (apparently it is free) without using Microsoft IIS. For instance could I run Apache and Windows Media Server. From what I gather, although Windows Media Server is free it looks like it must work in conjunction with IIS - hence, a great marketing ploy to sell more IIS (not exactly cheap either).

I guess in general I'd like any comments, help, system setups, etc.... related to live streaming video.

Thanks for you time,

justin

Keith Gandy
12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Justin,

we set up two systems, so that we do not bog down the live production side of the VT. We use a VT4, but the way we have designed our system, a VT2 would suffice. The live switching environment is accomplished via the Video Toaster.

A second computer holds an Osprey 200 capture card. There is very little in that system, except softare used to encode and stream the signal. Windows Media Encoder is free - that is used to stream the signal to a streaming service. Their service does not archive the file, just stream the live signal.

Maybe I am not understanding your setup, but it would seem that you are wanting to actually become the streaming server. If you are on a budget with software, then how are you going to afford the required trunk lines required to produce the bandwith for a video server?

Put your software together to run the Video Toaster - an older Windows 2000 will suffice and keep things very economical. Then let a Streaming server - a little research will inform you that economical packages beginning at around $13 US per month will get you going. A website will allow you to archive those files.

Just an option to consider.

billmi
12-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Trying to run the server yourself, you have to have a serious Internet connection - think about whatever bandwidth level you are going to need (i.e. how many kbps) for a good quality stream, then multiply that by the number of people you expect to be watching. It's usually more economical to go with a streaming service, and simply send your feed to it. On a properly configured VT[4] system the encoding load shouldn't be a problem, one machine would be all you need.

Keep in mind, that's all for live streaming. If you don't need people to see the service live, you don't need a streaming server. IMHO, there's little point to live streaming for a typical church service. If someone was available when the service was happening, they would probably be there - the big advantage to putting the service on the Internet as video is not only making it location indepentent, but time independent as well. The analogy I often make for that, is to look at how many people were able to be reached by the sermon on the mount live - who listened to it directly - vs. how many have been able to hear/read it in written/recorded methods since. You can record your service to hard drive, save it out as a Windows Media file, and put that on a web server. Anyone can then watch it whenever they have the time, reaching a much bigger audience, than just those who are available during the time of the service.